Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my first ever Kia and so far so good, love it with one exception..

The Engine is REALY loud under moderate acceleration. Its kinda scaring my wife as she thinks something is wrong with the car.

I see there isnt much insulation in the engine bay but is this normal? It does okay until it hits about 4,000 RPM and then its just obnoxiously loud until cruising speeds.

Anyone else have this issue?

Its an 2.4 GDI BTW...

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
The best thing you can do is take a video, post it on Youtube and post the link here so we can get a better understanding of whats going on

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
The GDI engines are significantly noisier than the MPI 2.4L and the V6. I would suggest going back to the dealer and asking to drive another GDI Sorento to compare. This will be the best way to know if yours sounds normal or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The GDI engines are significantly noisier than the MPI 2.4L and the V6. I would suggest going back to the dealer and asking to drive another GDI Sorento to compare. This will be the best way to know if yours sounds normal or not.
Yeah, this sounds like a good idea...

Realistically, If its just the normal noise level of the Sorento than anyone driving a 2013 Sorento with 2.4 GDI would chime in and know exactly what Im talking about cause theirs does the same thing... If my question sounds unusual to other 2.4 GDI owners, than somethings definitely wrong :huh:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine is pretty load as well. It's the nature of the beast. My wife and I test drove 3 other GDI sorentos before making our decision. All three sounded the same.

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Yep...normal! I drove a Optima SX Turbo the other day and I heard that same noise believe it or not.

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
Normal engine noise. Intake resonance or just a smallish engine dragging a biggish car?

Sounds good above 4000. A bit harsh as it approaches 6000.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX GDI
42 Posts
Normal engine noise. Intake resonance or just a smallish engine dragging a biggish car?

Sounds good above 4000. A bit harsh as it approaches 6000.
Sounds like our GDI. The first week I thought the engine would fly apart, then I realized it is its normal song. Nothing to worry about. To me it actually sounds pretty bad ass for a 4 cyl. It gets angry at high rpm. Thankfully under normal throttle it is quite tame.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, my first ever Kia and so far so good, love it with one exception..

The Engine is REALY loud under moderate acceleration. Its kinda scaring my wife as she thinks something is wrong with the car.

I see there isnt much insulation in the engine bay but is this normal? It does okay until it hits about 4,000 RPM and then its just obnoxiously loud until cruising speeds.

Anyone else have this issue?

Its an 2.4 GDI BTW...
Yes. I just bought a 2012 Sorento and I took it to 2 Kia dealerships and was told that the sound was normal. Gave me a printout from the car being on the machine on both occasions and the car is fine. It alarmed me as well. My son who sells Toyota's said that the Rav4 brand new sounds the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts