Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX V6 Luxury
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2013 Sorento last month, has anyone noticed the sound it makes in the instrument pannel( i think) after you start the car? It makes a few funny sounds like some turning on , you can only hear it in a quiet enviorment like in your driveway or garage . It was a quiet night when i started my Sorento. Just want to know if anyone has the same sound/noise .

Also when the car is moving without the gas pedal pressed ( like less than 10 kmph ) whenever i press the Brakes it make a Grinding Noise . Is this normal and does anyone noticed this? It makes this grinding noise when i gradually press the brakes ,but if i brake hard it is not noticable as much .

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
The sound in the instrument panel may be relays clicking. You might hear some a short while after starting or a short while after turning off.

Not sure what you mean by "grinding". The noise may be moisture on the brakes. Does it only make this noise in the morning? Does the noise go away after you start to drive it for a while?

The brake noise might also be since the brakes are new. Some brake pads need to adjust to new discs. If yours is a month old, they should be adjusted by now.

Some pads make more noise than other pads too.

Record the sounds, as Kungfoo said, and we can try to figure it out. If you're worried, go see your dealer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sound in the instrument panel after you start the car sounds like an antena going up like in the other cars, after starting the engine ,it will make a few chimes and then i can hear the sound like something is turning on inside ( for about 2 -3 seconds).

I asked the dealer about the brake noise , he said it is the coating from the rotors , and he told me to brake HARD a few times to take the coating off, after a month and little over 1000 clicks it has the same noise. this happens only if i let the car roll a few meters after releasing the brakes and then as soon as i press the brakes lightly it makes the grinding noise, but if i am driving on a regular street going about 60 kmph the noise is not noticable. It is noticable when for example you are not pressing the gas pedal and just let the car roll on its on a few feet.

I hope i am not confusing you all , it just hard to put it in words!! LOL

I noticed another thing tonight just when i was reversing my car into my garage ( my driveway has a little incline ) when i gently give a little gas or press the gas pedals softly in order for the car to move i can hear a rattling noise from the engine or transmission , i was wondering if this is a normal thing, it only make this noise when in reverse while pressing the gas pedals very gently, but if i give it a little more gas then the noise is not so noticeable.

Kungfoo, i will try to record it but i will have to know how to post it with the sounds.

Thanks

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
The sound in the instrument panel after you start the car sounds like an antena going up like in the other cars, after starting the engine ,it will make a few chimes and then i can hear the sound like something is turning on inside ( for about 2 -3 seconds).

I asked the dealer about the brake noise , he said it is the coating from the rotors , and he told me to brake HARD a few times to take the coating off, after a month and little over 1000 clicks it has the same noise. this happens only if i let the car roll a few meters after releasing the brakes and then as soon as i press the brakes lightly it makes the grinding noise, but if i am driving on a regular street going about 60 kmph the noise is not noticable. It is noticable when for example you are not pressing the gas pedal and just let the car roll on its on a few feet.
depending on the weather conditions you can also get a light coating of rust on the rotors overnight and if you only press the brake very lightly you will get a noise on the first one or two applications and then its gone. This is normal on any vehicle.

I get sort of a whine on my Soul when I first start up, if its been sitting overnight, but not later when the engine is warm, if its similar its normal.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
It really sounds like you are nitpicking. Just drive it and see what happens. If there are no adverse effects then it is ok.

What kind of vehicle did you have before the Sorento?

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
Also that's what the KIA drive line and powertrain warranty is for. Just bring it up and have the "problems" recorded at your regular servicing miles so there is a KIA record if things don't resolve. Drive and enjoy the power and performance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It really sounds like you are nitpicking. Just drive it and see what happens. If there are no adverse effects then it is ok.

What kind of vehicle did you have before the Sorento?

I drove a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer and 2010 Chrysler Town & Country.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts