Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 2013 Rio SX Hatch in November last year. On my way back to finish the paper work it went into limp in mode and forced me to restart the car to get to the dealership. They ended up replacing the computer as it wasn't telling the transmission to shift properly. Because of this I am super "aware" of issues that are popping up.

I noticed that the car was shifting hard and stuttering while driving at speeds under 40 MPH. The Service Manager drove it for a few days, had me drive it with him and when the problem appeared it was "normal behavior" and that it would subside as I put mileage on it. I only had 700 miles at the time. He recommended me driving without ECO on for a while to see if it persists. I did this for 2.5 weeks believing it was resolved. Then I turned ECO on...my word it's worse!

Has anyone experience this? I'm going in for an oil change this weekend and wanted to see if I could get some perspective before heading in.

Thanks!

FYI it's an automatic

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Nav Graphite/Tan
73 Posts
I tried using the ECO mode for a few tanks when I first got the car. I alternated between ECO and not and found that it didn't make a real difference on the distance I would get in a tank. The only thing that I noticed is that in ECO mode the car drove like crap. Transmission was sluggish and I felt like I was a Q-Tip in Florida. Forget about ECO mode, it isn't worth it.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I bought a 2013 Rio SX Hatch [Auto] in November last year. On my way back to finish the paper work it went into limp in mode and forced me to restart the car to get to the dealership.

[Recently] I noticed that the car was shifting hard and stuttering while driving at speeds under 40 MPH. The Service Manager drove it for a few days, had me drive it with him and when the problem appeared it was "normal behavior" and that it would subside as I put mileage on it. Has anyone experience this?
Did the failure before delivery worry you at all? Could you have backed out of the deal?

By "Shifting Hard" I presume you mean the auto is not changing smoothly. The "stuttering" also seems to suggest that it's not changing to the correct gear. This is not normal behaviour! Assuming that you are driving fairly conservatively while under 40 MPH, you should be almost unaware of gear changes. The auto in our KIA only makes its presence felt when overtaking on the highway, and then it's because the engine is working hard (3000 to 5000 RPM). The auto changes are smooth and somewhat better than most drivers can manage with a manual gearbox.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I tried using the ECO mode for a few tanks when I first got the car. I alternated between ECO and not and found that it didn't make a real difference on the distance I would get in a tank. The only thing that I noticed is that in ECO mode the car drove like crap. Transmission was sluggish and I felt like I was a Q-Tip in Florida. Forget about ECO mode, it isn't worth it.
I found exactly the same thing. I think ECO stands for Expect Crappy Outcome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts