Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 LX+ Auto
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First post here, but wondering if it's possible to turn off or lower the light from the little LED light in the roof. It looks like it lightly lights up the shifter and drink area while driving at night. Most of the time I do not mind, but sometimes I would like to be able to lower the light output or turn it off. Is there a button in the car somewhere to turn it off?

Thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Hi, I'm really surprised by the number of complaints regarding this little light in the ceiling. Yes I'm surprised cause it's so faint, it has no usage of any kind. Much too faint at night to allow reading and way too much faint during the day to even notice it. Unless the light in my Rio is defective, it can surely not light anything in the cabin. To me, this Led has no use and no known purpose. But I will focus more on it and see for myself if it can be annoying. I had asked the dealer about this light when purchasing the car and he had no idea why it was there and said to me it was so dim and so much unobtrusive that there actually was no wat to turn it off or dim it. That was enough to me. But let's see again.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Pro_cee'd GT Tech
85 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth.....

Have had my Rio for just over a month and initially that little light was noticeable but not any more.

I have driven my old car a couple of times since, which I passed on to my daughter, and the noticeable thing was I could not see the gearshift at all.....

Having driven manual vehicles for the best part of 30 years I don't need to see the gearshift but others may like to or want to....someone driving it for the first time. If I jump into someones car for the first time I like to see what is where...gears etc.

A very insignificant feature but not something that annoys me :)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX Sedan
19 Posts
My 2008 Nissan Rogue was the first car I noticed this in - its actually a nice touch when you're out in the country and it is pitch black otherwise. Urban dwellers probably not so much.

·
Registered
2012 Rio SX Hatch
391 Posts
i covered mine with a tiny piece of vinyl. it was kinda cool at first, but a bit annoying for night highway trips.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
I did actually spend a day trying to work out via the manual if this light could be switched off simply because I couldn't really see any purpose for it and have never owned a car with one.

It doesn't bother me and if anything it provides soft lighting if I need it.

I agree with LordHelmets method if it gets annoying :)

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
I did actually spend a day trying to work out via the manual if this light could be switched off.
A day :confused:

Seriously, it'll probably be ignored soon enough. Or cover it like LordHelmet.

My old car's flashing red seat belt reminder light was no longer seen after just a few miles all the way to 170,000 miles. Wasn't easy. But I did it!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
A day :confused:

Seriously, it'll probably be ignored soon enough. Or cover it like LordHelmet.

My old car's flashing red seat belt reminder light was no longer seen after just a few miles all the way to 170,000 miles. Wasn't easy. But I did it!
OMG :eek:
Not LITERALLY a day. Shall be more careful with phrasing things in future :cool:

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
i thought it was there so you can easily see the sunroof controls. Which is nice IMO
.. the sunroof controls? ... at night? um .. I never use my sunroof at night... do you?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio EX 6M 5-door
80 Posts
Wouldn't that make it a "moonroof"?;)

When I had one (and I don't now), I used it at night all the time.
Whatever its called, i only use it at night. On a cool summer night, nothing like driving with the roof open. Not too often i want sun coming through there during the day though

1 - 13 of 13 Posts