Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I have a 2013 Rio EX with 3700 miles. I was driving this morning on the highway when suddenly I start hearing a flapping sound. The engine starts hesitating, the check engine light comes on and it dies. I barely make it 1/4 mile to an exit where I coast into the parking lot of a gas station. I stop the car, pop the hood and smell something burning. I had the car towed to the nearest dealership.

This isn't exactly how I wanted my new car experience to go. I'll post an update when the dealer figures out what's wrong.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
I wonder if anything like this has ever happened to anyone else with a 2012 or newer model. I'm curious to learn what caused it.

·
Registered
12 RIO 5 SX, 07 VW Passat 2.0L turbo 1952 Siata Diana
168 Posts
All cars are crap-shoots. My 2012 Rio SX now has 10K. It has been back to the dealer for a free oil change. Absolutely trouble free.

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
Hello everyone.

I have a 2013 Rio EX with 3700 miles. I was driving this morning on the highway when suddenly I start hearing a flapping sound. The engine starts hesitating, the check engine light comes on and it dies. I barely make it 1/4 mile to an exit where I coast into the parking lot of a gas station. I stop the car, pop the hood and smell something burning. I had the car towed to the nearest dealership.

This isn't exactly how I wanted my new car experience to go. I'll post an update when the dealer figures out what's wrong.
Please keep us posted on how you made out with your car. I hope KIA resolves all of your issues to your satisfaction. I've had good luck with KIA's "After the Purchase" support so they should take good care of you...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, a week later, I'm getting my car back. I had a leak in my intake gasket and also some sort of crack in my fuel injectors. They replaced my intake and my entire fuel injection assembly. That was the story I got on the phone this afternoon. I'm going to pick it up after I return my rental car this afternoon and I'll talk to the tech and get more info then. I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
154 Posts
I think this is the first case we've heard on this forums to that extreme. Hopefully things get figured out.
Not true. There is a Grandmother on this forum or the other, who had issues right out of the dealer on your 2013. Turns out, it was the tranny wiring. Long story short, they attempted a new tranny to no avail. Not until she had to post a humiliating youtube video of herself did Kia corporate finally relent and swapped her car. It was a huge thread and a sad day for Kia to say the least. As for cars being a "crap shoot", it shouldn't be, and if it is, at the very least, corporates have to right the wrong BEFORE destroying the brand 'new car experience'.

-.-..---..

·
Registered
KIA Rio5 2012
55 Posts
Now i have had absolutely no issues with my car. Even in the dusty condition here in Saudi Arabia, the car has been an absolute gem. Drove the car to Dubai as well and with the K & N replacement filter in place, its even zippier and fun to drive !!!

KIA | Rio - a set on Flickr

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
As problems with Rios come out now that our cars are becoming more and more "used", it looks to me this will be a story resembling that of my old Neon. Back in the days, buying a Neon was like playing roulette. You could get a unit that would be trouble free (like mine) but one that could have all the problems. Three friends of mine bought a Neon and they had problems since the start. As for my Rio, I think I will be lucky again. Cross my fingers though.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX mtx
181 Posts
A handful of miles shy of 27,000...from one coast to the other, and many a mile in-between...my TPMS light has come on twice. Other than that, she runs better than a Rolex.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, I think I may hold off buying a new Rio5. I had planned to buy a 2013 Rio5 SX this week but with 1.6L GDI engines being a crap shoot, i'll wait.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
Wow, I think I may hold off buying a new Rio5. I had planned to buy a 2013 Rio5 SX this week but with 1.6L GDI engines being a crap shoot, i'll wait.
i have no idea why people keeping saying things like this..

the GDi motor in the Rio is one of the best small capacity engines around, and class leading in many ways.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6, Regency Red, Built in Georgia March 16, 2016 - Bought it April 28th, 2016
461 Posts
Really ???? :rolleyes:
Maybe you should sign up for one of those 1.6L Turbo Ford motors. Perfect for roasting weinies when it goes up in smoke.

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
No Slug

i have no idea why people keeping saying things like this..

the GDi motor in the Rio is one of the best small capacity engines around, and class leading in many ways.
Oz - I couldn't agree with you more. The Gamma 1.6 GDI is a technical marvel and one sweet motor. When combined with either the 6M or 6A transmissions this is by far the best drivetrain in its class. My son has the Duratec 1.6 MFI in his Fiesta with the 6A transmission. It is clunky at slow speeds, and acts like it is in "ECO" mode under all driving conditions.

After driving both cars my wife calls the Fiesta a "slug" :)

Without a doubt the Rio could use some more european tuning in the suspension and steering systems, but the drivetrain is a class leader. I love the fact that I can overide the 6A transmission at will in Sport Mode while the Fiesta gives you no such option. It is also nice to be able to start in 2nd gear in slippery conditions, and I absolutely LOVE holding 3rd Gear to 3500 RPM (or so)!

The Rio may have some flaws, but the engine and transmission are not among them...

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SI 1.6L Auto
20 Posts
I agree the 1.6 GDI is a class leader in design and technology. Like all engines there will be a malfunction from time to time. but overall the engine is bullet proof

Kiwalian

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Glad to hear it.

I bought filters and oil at wholesale bulk rate from my supplier on one receipt. I'm talking 10 oil changes or about 37,500 worth of oil. For me thats about 1-1/2 years. Oil changes cost me about $8 and 15 minutes every 6 weeks.

My service advisor says he won't honor an engine warranty unless I bring it to him or another kia dealer for every oil change. He won't accept an oil change place's receipt. He won't accept my date logged documentation with UPC codes stapled at each change showing I used KIA approved materials.

I like the engine. I hope it'll have a longer lifespan than that service manager's job.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
37,500 worth of oil :excl: do you get a good price for that amount :D You must bring in an oil tanker for that much :confused: I haven't used that much in 50 years of driving.

Check with Kia Motors, things like that are not his call without approval from them.
OEM filters are the best to use which you can bulk buy from the dealer and are inexpensive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts