Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Nav Silver/Black
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know I am jumping the gun here but, as soon as the 1st snow fall happens here, people freak out like they have never seen snow before and getting an appointment to have tires installed takes weeks at times..

SO.... Anyone have any thoughts on new rubbers or rubbers and rims.
I have been to a lot of the bigger sites here and no one really has anything that appears decently priced and good.. its either cheap and shit or $300+ per tire...

·
Registered
2012 Rio SX Hatch
391 Posts
Ok I know I am jumping the gun here but, as soon as the 1st snow fall happens here, people freak out like they have never seen snow before and getting an appointment to have tires installed takes weeks at times..

SO.... Anyone have any thoughts on new rubbers or rubbers and rims.
I have been to a lot of the bigger sites here and no one really has anything that appears decently priced and good.. its either cheap and shit or $300+ per tire...
next question would be... what size rims and tires? i assume that 17" rims won't work, cause i don't think they make low profile winter tires.... if anyone has any suggestions as to the appropriate size...
don't really have any suggestions on brands of winter tires, i usually get whatever costco has that appears to be the cheapest but not total garbage...

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,515 Posts
metal rims with snows in a smaller size which will be cheaper. The base LX has 15" steels with 185/65R15 tires.

Don't use snow tires so can't recommend a brand, but have heard the Goodyear snow and ice I think its called have had good reports.

Possible you might get a good set of metal rims from a wreckers providing they fit of course.

I know closer to winter my dealer has complete sets (steel rims and snows) available somewhere in the region of $800-$900 installed, but varied depending on the model (I think that was a price on the Rondo).

·
Registered
Kia Rio SX Navi 2013
109 Posts
I'm also early but I started looking for winter tires too.

For my SX I asked for four steel wheels 15 ". I looked for 185/65R15 and after several readings Nokian Hakkapeliitta R 92R seem to be one of the best choices.

On the site "1010tires.com" is 139.99 each and there is a coupon ("summer2012") $ 50 for purchases over $ 400 with taxes and shipping it is a total of $ 594.78.

Will you give me your opinion on Nokian tires or other according to your experience.

And is that someone has already bought on 1010tires.com?

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Remember SX has 11" front brake rotors not like other Rio models.I don't think 15" steel rims will fit.I am waiting for tirerack to come up with aftermarket 16" alloys for snow tires.16" Snow tires are @ least plentiful & reasonable cost & I hope they fit our bigger brake rotors.I am in Calgary so definitely hope we have recommendations by the end of October.

·
Registered
Kia Rio SX Navi 2013
109 Posts
Remember SX has 11" front brake rotors not like other Rio models.I don't think 15" steel rims will fit.I am waiting for tirerack to come up with aftermarket 16" alloys for snow tires.16' Snow tires are @ least plentiful & reasonable cost & I hope they fit our bigger brake rotors.I am in Calgary so definitely hope we have recommendations by the end of October.
15" are from the dealer... hope it's OK ?

·
Registered
333 Posts
flem,If you told your dealer that your car is an SX it's their problem if they don't fit.I talked to my Dealer's parts guys today & they are getting back to me with aftermarket Alloy & Snow Tire suggestions.

·
Registered
Kia Rio SX Navi 2013
109 Posts
flem,If you told your dealer that your car is an SX it's their problem if they don't fit.I talked to my Dealer's parts guys today & they are getting back to me with aftermarket Alloy & Snow Tire suggestions.
The steel rims was "include" in my deal, the first time I ask for 16" and they call me to inform that there is no 16" and 15" will do.

·
Registered
333 Posts
flem,Then we can assume the 15" will fit.Kia don't supply 16" in steel rims only alloy which is what I prefer but I don't want the factory 16" as they are $500+ each:eek:

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX UVO
51 Posts
Hi guys, has anybody actually tried fitting the 15" steelies into an SX?
I'm planning to buy my winter rim and tire set as well.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX+
23 Posts
if 15" rims won't fit over the 11" rotors, you could always add a spacer (1/4" maybe?) to avoid the rims rubbing against the caliper. It would still be cheaper than buying 16" rims

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX+
23 Posts
I bought my winter tires and rims in April...right when everyone was taking theirs off! Got 4 Goodyear Nordics used for 1 season on 15" rims for $300

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX UVO
51 Posts
just bought my Rims and Tires
$1430.00 Ouch yeah but they are 16" Rims and the rubbers are
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R

Not sure if it was a good deal or not but was sick of hunting around for something that fit and was a decent tire. local dealer wanted $1800 for OEM!?

View attachment 12339

View attachment 12340
That's absolutely a good deal! Local Kal Tire here quoted me for $1800.
Which shop in Edmonton did you get it, maybe I can drive down there?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts