Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Sorento LX
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am interested in adding a wing/spoiler to the back of my Sorento. I'm talking about the piece above the back window that comes stock on the SX.

Any ideas on the best place to get one? Is this a DIY install, or should I go to a shop?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 Sorento AWD , 2013 RDX
16 Posts
it can be a DIY if you want. The instructions are pretty good. I got mine from carid.com
Color matched (it was spot on). I need to install it I am just waiting for my buddy to get some free time as I need an extra set of hands to make sure it lines up perfect.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
it can be a DIY if you want. The instructions are pretty good. I got mine from carid.com
Color matched (it was spot on). I need to install it I am just waiting for my buddy to get some free time as I need an extra set of hands to make sure it lines up perfect.
Are the ones from Carid stick on or do they require drilling into the tailgate? I'm looking to get this done too.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Strange...my EX came with that. (I'm not really a big fan, but I'm too lazy to explore the options of removing it)

·
Registered
13 Sorento LX
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I understand, they are mounted with screws, so it would require drilling for those of us that didn't get one stock. That being said, I will probably get quotes for an auto shop to install mine... the idea of drilling into the body/paint makes me a little nervous.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It does require drilling but they make it pretty simple to do. there are video's on carid as well so you can see the process.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
I could have sworn someone on here bought an aftermarket one that stuck with 3M adhesive or something like that. Maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
13 Sorento LX
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could have sworn someone on here bought an aftermarket one that stuck with 3M adhesive or something like that. Maybe I'm wrong.
If you can find the post and link it here, that would be great. So far, the only ones I have found require drilling.

I called my local shop to get a quote and they said anywhere from $75-$125 depending on the complexity. I'm hoping for the $75 range since this comes with the everything needed to install.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The thread in question that the guy used 3m tape was basically the same as the carid one he just opted to use only double sided tape instead of using the screws that come with it.

I would not trust this method although he claims it works with out issue.

The ones from car id come with posts you put in the spoiler.... so in theory double sided tape would work if you trust the bond

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
If you don't mind my asking....what's the fascination with putting a spoiler on a truck?

Just curious...mine came with it, but I can't imagine paying extra for it.

Best,

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX V6 2WD Titanium/B&D leather
309 Posts
If you don't mind my asking....what's the fascination with putting a spoiler on a truck?

Best,
If you don't mind my asking....what's your fascination with putting a spoiler on This Thread? Oh...

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
not to crowd this thread but...
lol.. haha sauron, other than plp i love how you make conversations in this forum/threads eversince.. i like all the info. you share best of all; comments

well anyway, the spoiler other than looks and the 3rd brake light leds, it actually lessens the drag, less exhaust smell, dirt on rear windows in high speeds, also increases mpg in some tests..

·
Registered
13 Sorento LX
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Best,
Well, it's a SUV, or crossover, not a truck.

And adding the wing/spoiler gives it a more "sporty" look. Some people like em, some don't.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
not to crowd this thread but...
lol.. haha sauron, other than plp i love how you make conversations in this forum/threads eversince.. i like all the info. you share best of all; comments

well anyway, the spoiler other than looks and the 3rd brake light leds, it actually lessens the drag, less exhaust smell, dirt on rear windows in high speeds, also increases mpg in some tests..
Which is the answer I was looking for. Thanks!

I guess hell hath no fury like a wiener-dog owner scorned. I'd better stock up on some ankle armor. LOL

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
Dirt

I seem to get more "camper effect" with the spoiler. This adds quite a bit of dirt to the back of the Sorento. That said, I like the look. Very similar to the popular Lexus models.

I prefer the Weiner dog with wheels.... The Mini Pinscher. Intro, Mr. Speedy pup ball retrieving dog extraordinaire...

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
well anyway, most people with the suvs add the spoiler because of the third brake light, jand aesthetic looks.. but sure does helps with the drag specially with the boxy suvs

1 - 20 of 27 Posts