Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Optima SXL
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my Optima SXL brand new off the lot on May 5th this year. It has 2,900 miles on it. While I was driving up the interstate this past weekend the car just stopped accelerating. After I pulled to the shoulder I tried to start it up again and it would not kick over. I would get the initial revving noise but it would not start. Had it towed and I am waiting to hear from the shop. In the mean time any idea's on what this issue could be?

Thank you in advance for any help!

·
Registered
2017 sportage sx
448 Posts
Your dealer will give you a diagnosis that's not guesswork.
In future, keep a 10mm wrench in the car. If it ever quits like that again and won't start, disconnect the battery neg cable for a minute or two then reconnect and try starting.

·
Registered
2013 Optima SXL
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's even better, I've called Monday and Tuesday to check. They give me the run around. Now I am sent directly to voice mail. Then I call on a friends phone they answer immediately and give me the run around again. Making up some story how they've been running around like crazy and are super busy. Claim the manager will get back to me as soon as he can. Crazy that's what I have been told the past 3 days. I have now been without a car for 5 days.

·
Registered
2016 Cadenza white Premium Tech package
180 Posts
Warranty

Doesn't the Kia Warranty cover a rental car for repairs longer than 24 hrs. I have ha brand new EX GDI luxury with Nav and I have had zero issues.. I would call the owner of the dealership and failing any satisfaction call Kia USA By the Way I am really sorry that has happened .I feel for you

·
Registered
2013 Optima SXL
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doesn't the Kia Warranty cover a rental car for repairs longer than 24 hrs. I have ha brand new EX GDI luxury with Nav and I have had zero issues.. I would call the owner of the dealership and failing any satisfaction call Kia USA By the Way I am really sorry that has happened .I feel for you
I talked to Kia on Monday and Leslie Davis said that the fee is $30 a day for a rental which is the cost anywhere. She said that each dealership can have their own terms for rentals. I haven't even been offered a rental and I am waiting for the owner to call me back to me. I've talked to service, the guy who sold me the car, Kia, and waiting on the owner and the manager of service.

·
Registered
2013 Optima SXL
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: The guy who sold me the car said "your car is down in the shop as of right now and the best tech that we have down there is working on it. he still can't figure out what's going on but they're working on it now."

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX, Tech & Premium Touring
570 Posts
Any callback from the owner or GM of the dealership? I would make a trip down there vs. over the phone too!

·
Registered
2013 Optima SXL
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Any callback from the owner or GM of the dealership? I would make a trip down there vs. over the phone too!
I went to the dealership on Thursday to pick up my loaner after not having a car for 6 days. I was talked with the mechanic that was doing the work on my car. The problem happened three times while it has been at Kia. After the third time he thought it was a good idea to hook up their mobile device to be able to screen shot the issue when it happened since he can not diagnose the problem when it occurred or through my description which is exactly what happens. He has been driving the car home in hopes the issue will occur again.

I called Saturday to see what the status of the car was. The manager of the service department says "we are gonna go with bad gas. We have put 150 miles on your car and the issue has not happened again." So I am supposed to pick up my car today.

The owner has been on vacation the past week. Very convenient that he is away during an issue that can not be explained.

I've worked on cars since I was 14. Never in my life have I ever heard of bad gas being the problem. If it was bad gas, How are you able to drive 150 miles with out the problem occurring again? In my mind what made them just come up with some random answer is because I am driving a loaner car.

I am hoping the owner Jim Shorkey is back from his vacation so I can have a nice long chat with him.

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX, Tech & Premium Touring
570 Posts
Sounds like BS to me, hope this works out for you.

·
Registered
2013 Optima SXL
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I picked up the car from the dealership on the 25th. Ran a few errands and then drove over to my girlfriends house. We were going to run to the grocery store, once we got in the car it wouldn't start like before.

Back to Kia it goes. Wonder if they will feed me the same line of bullshit? Saying its bad gas.

·
Registered
2013 Optima SXL
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Talked with the Owner of the Dealership. He sent out a loaner for me to use. For my 36k SXL I get a 2010 base model Kia Soul not even worth half of my car note. Fantastic, just fantastic.

·
Registered
2013 Optima SXL
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Let it happen again. Go after Kia, get a new car...
They have had it in the shop for roughly 20+ days. They finally got me an Optima SX as a loaner. The owner said he is going through the motions with Kia to get me a new car. We will see how that works.

As of the status of the car. I called yesterday and no one answered the phone. I am sure they will respond to my voice mail at some point today.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
20+ days is a long time to fix a problem with a new car. I've never had a "No Go" problem with a new car, so I can only imagine your frustration. I was once close to rejecting a new car because of a minor pre-delivery scratch, but relented because I needed the car for an impending holiday. (Scratch was fixed to my satisfaction).

I presume that you're looking closely at the Lemon Laws in your state; a new car sounds like a good option, as you never know what shenanigans they've gone through in their attempts to get it running. You'll never feel the same about that particular car.

Did the loaner car end up costing you anything?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts