Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2013 Optima SX-L. With 125 miles on the car, I hit a pothole and immediately blew the tire. Because the car has no spare, the car had to be towed. It cost me $260.00 for the tire with mount & balance.
Well, last night (with 900 miles on it) I hit another pothole and yep...blew ANOTHER TIRE!!!. The guy at the tire store stated that in his opinion, these are the wrong tires for this type of car. (low profile performance)

I'm just wondering if anyone else with the SX-L has had tires blown from potholes?

My car is 3 weeks old and I have spent almost $600.00 on tires.
For what it's worth...I have been driving for 30 years and have NEVER blown a tire by hitting a pothole.

Anyone else have this problem? Maybe Kia should address this?

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,527 Posts
Welcome to the site!
What would you like Kia to fix?? Fix the potholes? You have 18 inch low profile tires, ie: not much of a side wall to absorb the impact of hitting something. You should have bought the tire and wheel warranty that dealers sell. For $300.00 you could/maybe still buy the warranty and any damage to wheels and tries would be covered for free. Hope you enjoy your new car!

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Simply a result of the mania for low-profile tyres. You probably have 45-profile tyres, and note that the tyre dimension includes that part of the tyre below the rim flange. That's why fit anything below 50-profile and it looks like there's hardly any rubber between the rim and the road.

I have 65 and 55-profile tyres on my cars, and they are serviceable, cheap and comfortable. I chose the S model Cerato specifically because it had 195/65-15 tyres. Also a better match for the Cerato's rather firm suspension. Generations of the most popular large cars in Oz rolled along on 205/65-15.

Ever seen the tyres on F1 cars? They are not low-profile, but they seem to get along OK.

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX, Tech & Premium Touring
570 Posts
Yep, the lower the profile the less wheel (and tire) protection there is against damage.
You must live in a tough road area as we haven't had too many with blown tires around here or the other optima board.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, that sucks. I would definitely look into getting the tire and wheel warranty or get some tires with more rubber if I were you. You might also check with the city to see if they will reimburse you for the pothole damage.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
About 10 years ago my cousin hit a pothole and bent a steel rim, my local municipality ended up paying for it. That might be an option for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a '12 SX with the same size low-profile tires and I just had to replace the 2 left tires from a nasty pothole on the interstate. (One was blown, the other had a bubble in the sidewall.) My previous car also had 18" wheels with almost the same size tire. I similarly had lots of problems with potholes causing tire and wheel problems. It's not really the car's fault, but it's just the way large diameter rims and low-profile tires end up being. Some tires do better than others. I've been happy with Continentals. Seem to hold up better.

·
Registered
2016 Cadenza white Premium Tech package
180 Posts
I just purchased a 2013 Optima SX-L. With 125 miles on the car, I hit a pothole and immediately blew the tire. Because the car has no spare, the car had to be towed. It cost me $260.00 for the tire with mount & balance.
Well, last night (with 900 miles on it) I hit another pothole and yep...blew ANOTHER TIRE!!!. The guy at the tire store stated that in his opinion, these are the wrong tires for this type of car. (low profile performance)

I'm just wondering if anyone else with the SX-L has had tires blown from potholes?

My car is 3 weeks old and I have spent almost $600.00 on tires.
For what it's worth...I have been driving for 30 years and have NEVER blown a tire by hitting a pothole.

Anyone else have this problem? Maybe Kia should address this?
Are you sure there is no spare tire. I have 2103 GDI luxury pearl white and the Owner's manual says spare tire is under carpet in trunk. As far as potholes go I had a Lincoln before the Optima with 18" wheels and I was constantly blowing tires either on curbs or potholes . In all honesty I would love to blame Lincoln or the city of Vancouver but the buck stops at the driver. As an aside the standard tire on Optima are Nexon and they suck. When I replace my tires in about two years (unless I hit a pothole or curb) I will buy the Nokian all season. Expensive ( 1400 all in) but one of the only all season that is rated for snow ( has the snowflake icon on the tire. Just before I traded in my 07 Lincoln I needed a new tire and the Nokian was great and was very quiet vs. the Nexon which are very noisy .

Here is the page from the owners manual
IF YOU HAVE A FLAT TIRE
Jack and tools
The spare tire, jack, jack handle and
wheel lug nut wrench are stored in
the luggage compartment.
Remove the luggage under tray out
of the way to reach the equipment.
(1) Jack handle
(2) Jack
(3) Wheel lug nut wrench
Jacking instructions
The jack is provided for emergency
tire changing only.
To prevent the jack from “rattling”
while the vehicle is in motion, store it
properly.
Follow jacking instructions to reduce
the possibility

·
Super Moderator
4,527 Posts
Are you sure there is no spare tire. I have 2103 GDI luxury pearl white and the Owner's manual says spare tire is under carpet in trunk. As far as potholes go I had a Lincoln before the Optima with 18" wheels and I was constantly blowing tires either on curbs or potholes . In all honesty I would love to blame Lincoln or the city of Vancouver but the buck stops at the driver. As an aside the standard tire on Optima are Nexon and they suck. When I replace my tires in about two years (unless I hit a pothole or curb) I will buy the Nokian all season. Expensive ( 1400 all in) but one of the only all season that is rated for snow ( has the snowflake icon on the tire. Just before I traded in my 07 Lincoln I needed a new tire and the Nokian was great and was very quiet vs. the Nexon which are very noisy .

Here is the page from the owners manual
IF YOU HAVE A FLAT TIRE
Jack and tools
The spare tire, jack, jack handle and
wheel lug nut wrench are stored in
the luggage compartment.
Remove the luggage under tray out
of the way to reach the equipment.
(1) Jack handle
(2) Jack
(3) Wheel lug nut wrench
Jacking instructions
The jack is provided for emergency
tire changing only.
To prevent the jack from “rattling”
while the vehicle is in motion, store it
properly.
Follow jacking instructions to reduce
the possibility
Where do you live? Here in the USA, 2012-2014 Optima's don't come with a spare tire. Just part of life....a lot of car company's don't include a spare tire, wish they would.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to forum and 1st time Kia owner. Sry to resurrect a dead post but I've also blown 2 tires on our SX-L on potholes in a matter of 26 days. I'm looking at tires today to replace the junk Hankook's that came from the factory.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Where do you live? Here in the USA, 2012-2014 Optima's don't come with a spare tire. Just part of life....a lot of car company's don't include a spare tire, wish they would.
This is not true. My 2011 SX and my wifes 2013 SXL came with a spare and jack. I do believe that the EX and LX didn't come with the spare. Not sure about the Hybrid

Don

·
Super Moderator
4,527 Posts
Where do you live Don?? My post states 2012 through 2014,so your SX is not included in my post. All 2011 Optima's came with spares

1 - 14 of 14 Posts