Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 2013 Optima have parallel parking assistance technology? I've found videos on Youtube demonstrating the technology (e.g.,
); however, I don't see any details about it at Kia's website. Is it not in American cars yet?

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
154 Posts
While it definitely has a 'wow' factor, I'd have to bump the above post. The extra cost, weight factor is not worth it and would primarily appeal to the parallel parking impaired. I'd rather see something like a blind spot sensor like on the Merc's and others. Far more useful and as a safety component, this would be another selling point.

-.-..---..

·
Registered
2010 Kia Sportage First Edition 2.0 CRDI ,Now Changed to 2012 KIA OPTIMA 3
64 Posts
We have it on the top spec optima 3 here in uk, it comes as a package with other stuff, I didn't think I would use it so I wasn't bothered about having it, but it has proved useful on a number of occasions and I have been impressed with it. Its put me in spaces I wasn't sure it would fit.

·
Registered
Kia Carens 3 YM14
20 Posts
yea, but it's so not worth the extra money.
I agree. I had the VW version on the Skoda YETI, it only picked up the parking space 50% of the time. I prefer KIA's rear view camera.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have to agree! The rear view camera is excellent for tight parking spaces and backup safety.

I would be way too impatient to watch the auto-park slowly scan for spots, calibrate and calculate turn radius, and then ever so slowly maneuver into a space like playing the operation game.

If only someone could figure out a hack to speed up the boot up of the oem NAV so that there is no lag when shifting into reverse and waiting for the camera to display. Most people's driving characteristic is to start the car, and within seconds shift into gear especially in the summer time.

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
I was driving behind one of those Merc's ugly boxes (SUV) and thanks to 'Server' post and picture got aware of orange/red triangle going on/off as vehicles in passing lane get close, parallel and passed that vehicle. I find that really impressive and useful feature to have.

As for auto-park, it might be useful when your vision, reflexes, etc. are all gone but right now I would not trust computers to park my car.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Those merc "luxuries" are no longer limited to merc's anymore. Lots of other cars are now oem equipped and slowly but surely it will make its way on to our Kia's faster than you can burn a gallon of gas (even with the modified mpg specs!)

Can't wait for the kia iPhone app to remotely start your car, remote climate control, and remote tracking when stolen!

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
Sure. And all that will work IF you have cell phone service... To remotely track stolen vehicle? No way if they put it into nice shielded container while removing all that tracking gizmos. Or just shipping it overseas. So your iCrap (I hate Apple!) will say: Hello master. I am currently in Iraq. Come and get me! Allahu Akbar!
I still prefer old fashioned key. Less gizmos, less stuff to brake.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts