Kia Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Optima EX 2.4L GDI engine
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Kia Optima EX, 2.4L GDI engine, 127,000 miles, I'm the original owner. I was getting oil on my driveway and took it to my mechanic (not dealership). Diagnosed as worn valve cover gaskets. I had the shop replace the worn gaskets, and spark plugs. When I picked up the car, the engine was cold, I let it run for a few minutes and began to drive home. I was doing about 40 mph. It was driving fine but then it lost power. The engine didn't turn off, but the RPMs dropped below 500. No MIL lamp came on and no DTC codes were produced. I pressed on the gas, but nothing changed, and the pedal would go all the way to the floor with no resistance. I coasted to the side of the road, put it in gear, and turned the car off. It would start back up, but a few minutes later it would do the same thing again. I took it back to my mechanic. They looked at it for a couple of days and told me that they couldn't duplicate the problem and that it may have been air in the fuel line caused by them having to remove the high-pressure fuel pump from the top of the engine to replace the valve cover gasket. I took it home and drove it for a few days, then the wife drove it to work. On her way home from work that evening, she was driving about 75 mph when the MIL lamp began to flash constantly and the car went into limp mode. When she got home I checked for codes and there was a P1326 (P1326 Kia Code - Knock Sensor Detection System). I had the car towed to the Kia dealership because my VIN number is part of the Kia campaign to replace Theta II engines that may have been machined improperly during production. The dealership checked the engine and it was fine, but the knock sensor was bad. The dealership replaced the knock sensor, I picked up the car and drove it for two days with no issues. On the third day, I had been driving it all day and then parked for an hour with the engine turned off. Fifteen minutes after I started driving it again it lost power, with the same symptoms as before. I was driving about 45 mph at the time that it happened. This time though, when it lost power, it eventually stalled. I put it in gear and cranked it up and started driving, and within a minute it would lose power and stall again. This happened seven times in the span of a mile. The last time it stalled, I couldn't get it started again. The mechanic sent a wrecker, which took it thirty minutes to arrive. When the wrecker arrived, the wrecker driver was able to start the car with no problem and drive it up on the wrecker. They've had it for three days and cannot duplicate the problem and there are no codes. Does anyone have an idea of what the problem could be?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
2 Posts
Hi. Did you ever figure out the cause? My 2014 Kia Optima is stalling all the time. Had engine replaced, then new fuel pump then new transmission and still stalling out. It’s infuriating and dealer is telling me it’s because I didn’t use high octane gas. Makes no sense!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts