Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento SX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 2013 Sorento this week. This is my first time with a built in navigation system. I had a portable Garmin 1455 before. It seems like there are a large amount of businesses that are not in my nav database. For example, restaurants like Dairy Queen that have been in existance for years at their current location, don't show up in the POI search list. Do I need to update the system? It isn't just a few things that don't show up; it seems to be everything less than 2 years old as well many other places. I don't have much experience with navigation systems - does someone have some good advice for me?

Thanks

·
Registered
2012 EX V6 Luxury Sorento - Dark Cherry
45 Posts
Welcome to Kia navigation, it's loaded with problems. My salesman told me it came with free upgrades, then when I asked for it in writing, they changed their tune and said it's about $200 for an upgrade but I could still get them free on torrent sites. Nice illegal advice from Winnipeg Kia.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
both the Navigation and Stereo system is extremely poor software feature wise

it's cumbersome to enter the addresses

and the Random play feature is worst than regular

it keeps "Randomizing" back to the same set of songs over and over again

and i have over 1000+ mp3 on my USB stick sorted by many folders and many categories, yet it keeps on picking up the same songs over and over again

As for the NAV map upgrades, ask your Sales guy, they need to get you an up to date map, most of the Nav pre-loaded maps are outdated

·
Registered
2011 Titanium Sorento SX - 39,000 miles since 03/2011
106 Posts
I still use my android phone for navigation. So much better traffic data, I was paying for the SiriusXM traffic service, and the GPS logic would not take into account the traffic (yes, I did have all appropriate setting options selected).

I tested it out many times, and during Boston rush hour traffic, Kia GPS said 35 minutes to destination where android phone said 65 minutes.

When I receive my Galaxy S III, I will be using my Galaxy Nexus as a full time GPS. Reusing an old phone is the way to go IMHO. I have found all aspects of the GPS apps to be superior to Garmin, Kia and Subaru. Free map updates and live travel information.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
indeed, totally agree with that

LOL :D if the SX did not come with the Sat Nav package, i'd have definitely not picked it up

our Android phones works way better as a GPS and music Streaming than the stock unit

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought 2013 Sorento LX this week and just signed up here on kia-forums tonight.

After reading this thread, I'm glad that I didn't go up into the EX just to get GPS/backup camera.

Have any of you looked at after-market head units?

If so, what might be the best "top 3" aftermarket head units for new Sorentos?

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I just bought 2013 Sorento LX this week and just signed up here on kia-forums tonight.

After reading this thread, I'm glad that I didn't go up into the EX just to get GPS/backup camera.

Have any of you looked at after-market head units?

If so, what might be the best "top 3" aftermarket head units for new Sorentos?
The UVO system has a back-up camera (without navigation). And that's the way I wanted it. I wouldn't trade my Galaxy SII Android-based nav for a car unit. It's THAT good. Why people pay several thousand for lame OEM car nav systems is a mystery to me.

Best,

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX AWD (Titanium Silver); 2013 MINI Cooper S Hardtop, 6-sp. manual (Eclipse Gray)
123 Posts
Typical incident with the Kia nav system:

I tried to find Third & Market Sts. in Camden, NJ recently. Of course, the Kia nav doesn't let you use a Zip code instead of a city name (my cheap, portable Magellan does). It seemed to recognize the location, so I followed the prompts to... Third & Market in Gloucester City. Not only did I not end up at the parking lot I was looking for, I ended up at a bar in a bad part of another city a couple miles away. No matter how many different ways I tried to enter the destination, the nav always came up with the same, wrong result.

I've posted before about the time that it led me completely around the block -- 4 right turns -- when one simple right turn was all I needed. I like almost everything else about the Sorento, but that nav system is a waste, IMO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Jim, Sauron.

Being a fan of android, I'm interested in the Xtrons TD718A DVD/GPS aftermarket head unit. Xtron is selling them on Ebay and also direct from their own site:

7?Android Tablet 3G WiFi Double Din Car GPS DVD Player - TD718A - xtrons.com

The dimensions on this look 'right' to swap out stock 2013 Sorento head unit. Can you guys see any obvious issues with the dimensions on this one?

Thanks!

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Thanks Jim, Sauron.

Being a fan of android, I'm interested in the Xtrons TD718A DVD/GPS aftermarket head unit. Xtron is selling them on Ebay and also direct from their own site:

7?Android Tablet 3G WiFi Double Din Car GPS DVD Player - TD718A - xtrons.com

The dimensions on this look 'right' to swap out stock 2013 Sorento head unit. Can you guys see any obvious issues with the dimensions on this one?

Thanks!
Never heard of Xtrons. Why not leave the stock head unit in place and get any of the large number of 3g/4g android smartphones instead? Then your phone pairs with the head unit and you get the audio over your OEM system while still having the benefit of a frequently updated and easy to use NAV system on the phone itself? My Galaxy SII fits perfectly if I lean it against the console such that the top is between the two 12V sockets. I used to use it for streaming audio too, but now I just use a 64GB USB fob for that (with about 10,000 songs on it). It all works great together.

Best,

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd rather have an integrated head unit. my wife is afraid to drive the Sorento and wants a back up camera. I also want reliable GPS, as you pointed out also. We have 3 small children and so the option of cabling in two small head-rest monitors for them from the main head unit is very appealing option. So, overall the integrated unit makes more sense for our needs.

I'm also happy with the possibility with having a 7" android tablet at my disposal to go in and out of places that offer wireless since I have a non-3G company cell phone, and I myself choose not to pay for 3G for my personal use.

I'm just working to confirm now that the Xtrons TD718A dimensions will work out for Sorento LX.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hate the navigation / infotainment system in my 2013 Sorento EX. I wish I could have opted to get the straight UVO system with all the other package features, without having to get the navigation system.

Our biggest issues with the navigation system are...
1. It's not current. Business locations that have been around for years are not listed. You are directed to a toll road even when you specify that routing should avoid toll roads. Granted, this road had only recently become a toll road, though >6mo previous the purchase of the car a few weeks ago.

2. When my phone is paired with the system, I cannot use my phones voice commands. It's awesome! My phone will prompt to read a text message, and wait for voice confirmation, but in no way can I figure out how to get the phone to hear me. Wired headphones with mic, works perfect. Bluetooth headset, works perfect. Kia bluetooth, a complete failure.

3. The way the display dims is really bad. At night, it is the brightest thing in the car. It is very distracting. By default it is set to dim automatically, manually switching to nighttime mode makes so difference, so it is obviously in nigh mode already, because switching it to day, makes it brighter. Adjusting the dimmer is not useful. It makes it more dim, but also reduces the contrast making it harder to read.

If anyone has a 2013 Sorento with the UVO system, I will buy it from you!!

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX
7 Posts
I hate the navigation / infotainment system in my 2013 Sorento EX. I wish I could have opted to get the straight UVO system with all the other package features, without having to get the navigation system.

Our biggest issues with the navigation system are...
1. It's not current. Business locations that have been around for years are not listed. You are directed to a toll road even when you specify that routing should avoid toll roads. Granted, this road had only recently become a toll road, though >6mo previous the purchase of the car a few weeks ago.

2. When my phone is paired with the system, I cannot use my phones voice commands. It's awesome! My phone will prompt to read a text message, and wait for voice confirmation, but in no way can I figure out how to get the phone to hear me. Wired headphones with mic, works perfect. Bluetooth headset, works perfect. Kia bluetooth, a complete failure.

3. The way the display dims is really bad. At night, it is the brightest thing in the car. It is very distracting. By default it is set to dim automatically, manually switching to nighttime mode makes so difference, so it is obviously in nigh mode already, because switching it to day, makes it brighter. Adjusting the dimmer is not useful. It makes it more dim, but also reduces the contrast making it harder to read.

If anyone has a 2013 Sorento with the UVO system, I will buy it from you!!
Just curious. If the business has been around for years why do you need to use gps to find it? :huh:? I have the 2013 sx and I don't mind the nav. I was able to find every location when I needed it in a larger city. But in my small town I don't need it day to day.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX AWD (Titanium Silver); 2013 MINI Cooper S Hardtop, 6-sp. manual (Eclipse Gray)
123 Posts
Just curious. If the business has been around for years why do you need to use gps to find it?
I think the point was that it was just an example of how lacking the Kia nav system is. Someone else with the same system, who is not familiar with those businesses, would get lost trying to find them. FOR EXAMPLE:

Several days ago, while on vacation about 350 miles from home I tried to find the Town Center (municipal offices) in Crown Point, NY. It was on the POI list, so I thought I was good to go... silly me! The Kia nav system led me to someone's private residential trailer in the boondocks outside of town.

Again, love the car, hate the nav. :mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm happy with my Nav system.

Must be an East coast, West coast thing....

I've had my 2013 Sorento SX for a month now, I've used the Nav system A LOT, and it's never lead me astray...including obscure restaurants, a remote friends house, and several over locations...some popular, some not. I am happy with the day/night display, I'm more than happy with how it easily pairs with my iPhone4, music streams effortlessly, including iTunes and Pandora.

I could not be happier. I'm sorry some of you had a bad experience, but for me and my boyfriend this is the best vehicle ever...and this is his 4th Kia!!!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento SX V6
36 Posts
I have a '13 Sorento EX V6 with nav, one of the first '13s that came out, purchased in May 2012.

Which means that it's been 19 months now I've owned the car and there is still no update for the nav database of the '13 Sorentos. Grrr.

I certainly love the nav and prefer a head unit over messy afterthought-like Garmins and such. But I just want an update!

Examples: Search for "Big Lots" in Las Vegas. None come up. Search for 7-Eleven; about half the stores come up. (Most of the missing stores, based on their appearance, have been around for 20 years or more).

About 20% of the time I'm having to use my smartphone for nav, and that's annoying. Oh, and about searching by phone number: In the overwhelming majority of cases, you don't know the frickin' phone number of a business you're looking for.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Factory maps

I updated my 2011 Sorento map last year when they were 1/2 price ($100). Seeing as the maps were 2006 version or something like that. I do like a few of the new features (recent locations are shown the first few seconds, mute button right on screen) but a recent drive home to NJ and on a newer section of RT 202 in PA, and the map shows us driving on grass. That bypass was proposed in 2005 and opened in 2011. It was not there.. amazing.

And I passed up a 5" Garmin with forever maps and traffic for $78. With stored opening and closing every few years, you think the updated would be $50 but accurate !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts