Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kis Sportage LX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks --

I bought my Sportage new from the dealer about 4 months ago. The brakes started squealing and grinding about 500 miles or so in. I drive 6 miles each way to work and back, tow nothing, and I live in a warm and very dry area of California. At just over 1,000 miles, I brought it to the dealer and they confirmed all four rotors were warped and was due to sitting at the port too long. They turned my rotors and pads and returned the car to me. It drove fine for the next 2 months (1,000 miles) until it started squealing grinding again. The car was in the shop all day and I was told at the end of the day when I went to pick it up that they were contacting Kia to do a "courtesy one-time replacement of the rotors and pads" but that they needed to be the exact same ones from production and I'd need to bring the car back. Faithfully and after waiting a week for the parts to arrive, they called me to schedule an appointment. I asked for a loaner car and was again denied. I questioned why the rotors and pads were to be replaced as a "one-time courtesy" and I was told that it's because they're considered normal wear and tear items. I advised that I could accept that answer if my car had substantially more than 2,000 miles but given that this was a 2nd brake issue in this many miles, it would indicate a problem. Regardless, no loaner car but they did replace the rotors and pads. When I called Kia Corporate, I was met with a sarcastic jerk who stated the same thing but told me the District Manager had approved a loaner car a few days AFTER the 2nd repair was completed -- as if that would help!! So though I still like my Sportage, I'm not impressed with the Rotors/Brakes (at all) and especially with Haddad Kia or Kia Motors Corp.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,888 Posts
No problems with mine after 2 years.............

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Being they told you it was the car sitting on the lot for a while that is your reason the rotor were rusting. You got new brakes out of the deal. I would be happy about that. I've NEVER seen brakes fail this soon on any Kia. Rotors rust when sitting for any lenth of time. You got nothing to worry about in the future.

·
Registered
2013 Kis Sportage LX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The purpose was to share my experience as others do. I bought a new car and expected new brakes. It should've had a more quality inspection of the car. Yes, I got new brakes but -- wouldn't that be expected when you buy a new car? (sarcasm emphasized). Oh ya, who said the rotors were rusting? I wasn't aware that rust is spelled the same WARPED. There was no rust on the rotors.

I'm sure putting this out there so that others with the same problems can see that they may not be alone. Kind of like the SX with engine problems, gas mileage issues on Kia brands, and other problems that are identified when collectively experienced by others.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Yes, warped, not rusted. Rotors will rust if left in the rain, but this is usually cosmetic rather than terminal. It was probably a bad batch of rotors, and sitting in the lot had nothing to do with the problem. I can't figure out why they did a second replacement just to replace the disk with "as issued" types. I'd imagine the extra labour would not be worth it.

I once had a rotor get rusty after a household AC drain failed and dripped near one of the front wheels while the car was parked for a month. It looked terrible, but it cleaned up after a short drive. It still looked slightly pitted, but it did not affect the brake performance and a little extra wear made it all good.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Since there is no way to tell from the OP's information what happened to the brakes, it remains a mystery. He describes the symptoms of rusting rotors but insists they were 'warped'. He never mentions shaking on braking which is the 'warped' rotor indication. The Sportage brakes are actually excellent and no upgrade is required for normal driving, including 'spirited' driving. What I like most about them is the way you can feel the drag at the first touch of the brake pedal and the way the ABS works without a loud chatter.
But I'm still curious about the OP's brakes - the story doesn't add up.

·
Registered
2013 Kis Sportage LX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nothing more

There's nothing more to the story. Kia first turned the rotors and it resolved for awhile but the same issue returned. Kia then replaced the rotors and pads and the car has been issue-free since.

I live in Central California and it hardly rains here; therefore, rust is not an issue nor was there any - I checked. Yes, the rotors were warped as confirmed by the dealer on both service tickets. It's a good thing there aren't many conspiracy theorists on here...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Bakersfield is very dry. "Sitting in port" can be shockingly corrosive, but would not warp rotors (they do not bear a load when parked). Turning or resurfacing warped/damaged rotors isn't a precision solution since manufacturing defects can show up again; maybe one set were forged with incorrect alloy ratios or cooled too fast. I don't know of any aftermarket rotors, but there are aftermarket pads.

Bakersfield has hills; I remember a spectacular one entering town off the I-5 at night. Braking down hills can overheat rotors and warp them. There's not much choice, but it's something to take care with.

Warped rotors cause a vibration you can feel, or pulsing in the braking; if rotors are warped enough to cause a grinding noise, I would be concerned about wheel bearings and suspension & steering parts. Squealing is high pitched vibration noise, fairly common and incredibly annoying to troubleshoot. I've seen a few products that claim to help, including a spray abrasive that tries to gently resurface the rotor & pad (worked for me temporarily), a rubbery glue that dampens vibration behind the brake pad, and lubricant that also tries to dampen vibration. Replacing pads & rotors is a good overkill solution to a very annoying problem.

Some dealerships are crap for loaner cars. It doesn't matter if it's Kia or Mercedes, the dealership may just have one loaner car that's already loaned. Kia is changing what is expected from a "Korean Car", but they still have some old dealership issues to weed out. Still, I'm glad they fixed your Sportage's problem.

·
Registered
2013 Kis Sportage LX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been meaning to update this again.

My cars brakes are making squealing noises again in the morning as I reverse out of my car garage which is on a slight incline. Until the brakes warm up, it continues to make this sound. Even after they're warmed up, it pulls just slightly to the left when I apply the brakes for a red light. It's exactly the same issue I had before absent the grinding feeling - yet. I just hit 6,000 miles and this is very irritating to say the least. My commute is 5-6 miles each way and I park my car in an enclosed garage at home and a parking structure by day. The temperatures range from lows of 45-50 F to a high of 80 F which should be well within the limits. Do I bring this back to the dealer for inspection or, do I just go and buy quality set of rotors all the way around and brakes? Could there be an issue with how the brakes were assembled? I've never had this happen with any other car I've owned which includes a Honda Accord and most recently just prior to the Kia, a 2010 Mazda CX-7. All cars were subject to the exact same conditions, locations, commute, weather, etc. Also, I do not commute in bumper-to-bumper traffic at all which is surprising for California. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
You have lots of variables to pick from...

I see you are also only 3~4 miles from the Atlantic Ocean in NJ..
Salt and water and short distances...Hmmm...
You probably don't even get the rust scraped off the rotors in that short of a distance..
Take the car for a ride and use the brakes...

Also where are you getting the rotors from? If it's from a local national chain auto parts store I'd suggest you get some good rotors (they go from $13.60 to ten times that amount on rockauto.com).. Some are really poorly made...

You may have calipers hanging up causing hard drag on the pads and damaging the rotors... Try a different mechanic that does only brakes...

I know people like to complain about their cars but changing the variables can help a lot.
Dave

·
Registered
2011 Sportage, 2007 GTI, 2000 Firehawk
138 Posts
I agree with the above post about checking to see if the calipers are hanging up. Other possibilities to consider:

-Unevenly torqued lug nuts can cause rotors to warp more easily.
-If you are sitting with your foot on the brake after a stop from high speeds or when the brakes are hot, the rest of the rotor will cool more quickly than the spot where the pads are holding onto the rotor. This can cause warping also.

·
Registered
2013 Kis Sportage LX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure if those comments were meant for the previous person but I live in California, on the opposite side of the country, and inland rather than the coast. My commutes are regularly 45-50 mph each way and hardly no lights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts