Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul 1.6L Base, 6-speed manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently installed an aftermarket stereo in my 2013 Kia Soul Base. Now my speedometer and odometer are not working. No other issues, it sounds great and everything else is working fine, it's just that now I can't tell how badly I'm speeding when the bass drops.
I tried replacing the corresponding 10 amp fuse in my cabin fuse panel, but that was not the problem.
I suspect the problem is that the factory deck included a "Speed Dependent Volume Control" feature, and I am wondering if there is a wire I can do something with on the harness, because my Alpine doesn't support that feature. Also, there is one hook up from the factory stereo that I had no port for on my Alpine. I assumed this was for the USB/iPod/Aux ports below the climate controls.
Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Shorty

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,921 Posts
Many new car radios are connected to their local CAN network so that they can interact with the car...
The speed/volume function is one of those "connections"... The original radio talked to the TCM to find the speed of the car so it could turn up and down the volume as needed... The speedometer would ALSO try to talk on that network to gain the speed of the car and display it... Sounds like you have wiring problems pulling that CAN network down...
Try disconnecting the non-OEM radio and see if the speedometer/odometer functions return... If so you have a wiring error.. Some off the shelf wiring adapters are made for use with many different car models (generic) and if it was made for older cars also the wiring may be wrong...

In my 2016 Chrysler 200s the radio talks to many other modules... (speed/temperature/microphones/HVAC/SiriusXM/compass/backup camera/etc...) If the radio is removed the odometer flashes... Lots of interacting... It won't be very long before you as the car's owner will not be able to do anything to the car as the manufacturer/dealer will be the ONLY ones to access "locked down" systems...
Dave

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul 1.6L Base, 6-speed manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many new car radios are connected to their local CAN network so that they can interact with the car...
The speed/volume function is one of those "connections"... The original radio talked to the TCM to find the speed of the car so it could turn up and down the volume as needed... The speedometer would ALSO try to talk on that network to gain the speed of the car and display it... Sounds like you have wiring problems pulling that CAN network down...
Try disconnecting the non-OEM radio and see if the speedometer/odometer functions return... If so you have a wiring error.. Some off the shelf wiring adapters are made for use with many different car models (generic) and if it was made for older cars also the wiring may be wrong...

In my 2016 Chrysler 200s the radio talks to many other modules... (speed/temperature/microphones/HVAC/SiriusXM/compass/backup camera/etc...) If the radio is removed the odometer flashes... Lots of interacting... It won't be very long before you as the car's owner will not be able to do anything to the car as the manufacturer/dealer will be the ONLY ones to access "locked down" systems...
Dave

Thank you Dave! That sounds simple enough, I will try unplugging my stereo. I am reluctant to delve into the harness because I did a gorgeous job taping it so thank you that's a good clue and I will start there! Will be back with what I find out.

Cheers
Maddie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts