Kia Forum banner

2013 Kia Sorrento engine shuts off without warning

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  holliemike 
#1 ·
Over one month ago, in bumper-to-bumper traffic, my Sorrento engine shuts off without warning all lights light up on dash. Put car in park and attempted to restart the vehicle. It would not start. Someone helped me push vehicle off to the side of the road. Called for a tow truck, before tow truck arrived was able to restart the vehicle. Towed it to the dealership, they could not find any problems with the vehicle. Drove car 3 miles from dealership,Engine stalled, and engine light lit up on dash. Took vehicle back to dealership for repair. Had them do a tuneup and Check for bad fuel. Pick the vehicle up again drove it a few miles and stalls again engine light comes on and stays on drove vehicle back to dealership for repair. Next repair was the wire harness under the dash. That is what they claimed the sensor was about. Drove the car home after repair had no problems. Tried to drive the vehicle the next day in town 2 miles away, stopped in a restaurant drive-through and car shut off again. The car would turn over but would not start. After several tries started again. Do not want to drive this vehicle for fear that it will stall in traffic on the interstate. Any suggestions?

#4 ·
Now that you have had it at the dealership (and probably paid a large amount)... Have them lend you a loner car and have the service manager drive your car for a few days... Impress upon them the amount of money you have spent with no cure... I'm sure that they want the car to run and having one of their employees stranded will make them serious about locating the problem(s)...

You did not mention if there were any OBDII codes (error codes) stored or read by the dealership... This could be an important clue to where the problem is... Earlier KIAs had bad crank angle sensors that did not set codes and would intermittently fail and not cause any faults (errors) to be stored but I don't know if your year model nay have this problem ...

There is an answer...
Dave

#5 ·
Before the last trip to the dealership, the check engine light stayed illuminated and i assume that a code was sent that prompted device to replace wire harness. Service did not share the “code” with me. Fortunately i had purchased an extended warranty from car max when i bought it at 20,000 miles in 2013. It is a v6 and has 96500 miles on it currently. Have not had any engine trouble out of it until now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.