Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2013 Kia Sorento SX 2WD V6 on May 30, 2012. My fist two fill ups I got 15mph. I thought that was a bit low so I took it in and they said that it would get better over time and when they tested it I was getting 27mpg. They reset the computer and I got 20mpg once.I was told to keep a log and come back in a month. Well my mileage is getting way worse.

I took it in again and they said since it isn't trowing codes they can't do anything. I was getting better gas mileage in my 10 year old Toyota Sienna V6. I average 18.77mpg and I drive mainly highway miles (not stop and go). I am a cake decorator and I work out of my home and so I don't drive during commute time. I drove to San Antonio and back from Austin (no traffic!!) and I got 21.61 mpg. I should be getting way better than that.

I am not looking at my dash miles. They are way off. They are about 2mpg off what I am calculating at the gas station. I have called Kia consumer relations and am still waiting for a response. Has anyone else had this problem with their new Sorento?

Today my mileage on my dash is telling me I am getting 12-15mpg. HELP!!

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Sounds like you have some sort of issue. With an AWD LX V6 (same drivetrain you've got), I'm getting 20mpg around town and 28mpg on the highway.

Best,

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
If you calculate the MPG at the pump you are going to off because it does not differentiate between city driving and hiway driving which does vary considerably. Highway mileage is stronger because there is less stop and go. Also your style of driving can affect it considerably. Not to mention the weather.. windows open or closed. Air conditioning on/off.
I am getting on average in city about 22 mpg and on the highway I am getting about 28-30 mpg.
It does improve with time and no one is lying about that. a couple of fill-ups will not determine it. give it about 4-5k miles and then see where you are at. Meanwhile keep a log of the mileage via highway and city and you will see a bug difference over time.

Be aware of the eco light too.. it does really help if you try and keep it on. (It does not gear the engine down by having it turned on).

·
Registered
Corolla 1996, Corolla 2009, Soon Sorento
36 Posts
I have the 4-cylinder 2013 LX GDI engine and I am having about 17 mpg in the city and about 24 mpg on the highway. This is way more than the numbers posted by Kia.

Your 15 mpg in the city seems about right because compared to the numbers I am experiencing.

The internet is full of people complaining about the low mpg they are getting in real life

Some people have reported that the mpg will improve with time but I personally have my doubts.

Some have also reported that the mpg and performance improves after the reprogramming campaign TSB 122 of the on-board computer but I think that applies only to the GDI 4-cylinder engine, not on the V6

If you look at the data on Fuelly.com, most people seems to have about 21-22 mpg overall mixed city and highway driving but can be as low as 14-15 mpg in the city driving with the V6.

Also if you look at the data on that website for the 2011 and 2012 models with a track record of fuel ups that people have recorded over two years, mpg does not improve with time!

This is how I look at it:
- it is a bit normal that a vehicle of this size and weight consumes that much, despite what Kia claims. It is a bit sad that Kia's numbers give false expectations
- every vehicle has its qualities and drawback. The Sorento's sole drawback appears to be the low mpg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't calculate based on highway vs city unless I filled up every time I drove my car someplace. I drive 80% highway and about 20% city. The city I live in the main roads are 50+mph and the highways are 70+. Since I don't drive in commute traffic I don't have a lot of stop and go.

I had a 2004 Toyota Sienna V6 and it got 20mpg highway/city combined. That car is way heavier, I used the AC all the time (I'm in Texas) and still got better gas mileage.

I have the ECO light on (never turned it off). I'm at 4700 miles and the gas mileage started at 19ish and went to 20ish and now has gone to 15. It isn't getting better, it is getting worse. Like I said. I drove to to San Antonio from Austin (218 miles round trip) and I got 21mpg. I actually filled it up when I got the gas station by my neighborhood. On my drive to SA I didn't hit any traffic and was 70+mph all the way there.

I can't accept that when I go to purchase a car and it says 20-26 that I am supposed to actually get 15-19. I would have never bought this car if I was supposed to get this mileage. I would have kept my Sienna and drove the sucker into the ground. Like I said I drive mainly highway miles in NO traffic. I have my own business and travel only during non commute times.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8, Saab 9-5, 2012 Sorento SX
44 Posts
...I drove to to San Antonio from Austin (218 miles round trip) and I got 21mpg. I actually filled it up when I got the gas station by my neighborhood. On my drive to SA I didn't hit any traffic and was 70+mph all the way there.
Try the same drive at 60 mph. You may be amazed at the difference in mileage. You are pushing a very large brick through that hot and probably windy Texas air. I used to live in Austin. I know that drive well.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
I average around 17-19 City and 27 Highway. The V6 makes it hard to keep your foot out of the throttle. There is just so much power there. It's quite addictive.

I think something is wrong with your SX. I can't get 15MPG even if I tried.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I have a co-worker who bought a new Sportage (SX model with turbo 2.0L). He's been complaining incessantly about the "poor mileage." He claimed about 15-18mpg around town and only slightly over 20mpg on the highway. He also claimed to not be a speed demon and to follow the usual posted limits around here (35-ish on local roads and 50 on the local parkway). So last week we went out to lunch a couple of times and I saw why. I'd say he was at 75%-100% throttle for almost every start from a light. When he'd get to speed, he'd then back way off the gas. That'll do it every time. I also noticed that he'd be on the gas almost all the way to a red light and then brake hard towards the end. I tend to let the car coast once I see a yellow/red light ahead and many times I'll luck out and it will change before I've come to a complete stop and a little bit of gas gets me back up to speed. Driving style is a huge factor in getting good mileage.

Best,

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
i'm almost ready for my 1st oil change
getting close to 5000 Km
1 full tank of gas, can barely get me 400 Km and the lights will turn on
the Tech Spec supposed to get at least 500 Km out of 1 full tank, before the lights come on

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
198 Posts
I'm averaging 11.9l/100km which coverts to 23.74UK MPG or 19.77 US MPG city driving. I always make sure the ECO light never goes out when in motion and dropped in a K&N filter into mine as well once I'm due for my first oil change I will be going fully synthetic oil that will certainly help as well! Style of driving has a direct effect on gas mileage...not saying this is the case with you but these are things to be aware of. Manufactures use UK MPG as its rated higher. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
I'm averaging 11.9l/100km which coverts to 23.74UK MPG or 19.77 US MPG city driving. I always make sure the ECO light never goes out when in motion and dropped in a K&N filter into mine as well once I'm due for my first oil change I will be going fully synthetic oil that will certainly help as well! Style of driving has a direct effect on gas mileage...not saying this is the case with you but these are things to be aware of. Manufactures use UK MPG as its rated higher. Hope that helps.
How did the K&N drop in filter improve the response, power and fuel economy? I pulled my factory filter and have never seen something like it in my life. Looks like fabric mixed with fluff.

·
Registered
Noble M400, '69 Datsun 510, '60 Impala Convertible
9 Posts
I just put about 500 miles on my SX V6 2WD and I am avg 21MPG. This is both city and Highway. I am assuming this is pretty good.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
198 Posts
How did the K&N drop in filter improve the response, power and fuel economy? I pulled my factory filter and have never seen something like it in my life. Looks like fabric mixed with fluff.
I wasn't looking for additional power so I didn't really compare that but the overall fuel consumption has dropped from 13.5L/100km to 11.9L/100km either way I know it's good for the engine and my wallet.

I have the stock OEM filter for sale on Sorento Nation if anyone is interested it purchasing it...only 135Km's on it.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
I wasn't looking for additional power so I didn't really compare that but the overall fuel consumption has dropped from 13.5L/100km to 11.9L/100km either way I know it's good for the engine and my wallet.

I have the stock OEM filter for sale on Sorento Nation if anyone is interested it purchasing it...only 135Km's on it.
Be careful!,,, I just pulled out the K&N filter from my Tucson, and it was still like new :huh: I had it in there for about 6 months. At first I had a boost in power, & an unexpected boost in gas mileage! ;)

But, my vehicle got progressively slower, & more sluggish!? I didn't know what was wrong? Once I put the old orig filter back in, the Tucson started to run like a scared rabbit with, regained power, esp. with A/C on!

Somewhere I read that the 2.4L engine has no MAF sensor, so it does not know what to do with the extra, or faster flowing air!

The worst thing you want is an engine that is running too lean! :eek:

I don't know how this engine regulates the air/fuel ratio? but i was astonished by these results.

I would investigate if the Sorrento V6 has a MAF sensor, or not? and or how it deals with the air/fuel ratio. In other words, hold onto that filter, just in case ;)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
198 Posts
Be careful!,,, I just pulled out the K&N filter from my Tucson, and it was still like new :huh: I had it in there for about 6 months. At first I had a boost in power, & an unexpected boost in gas mileage! ;)

But, my vehicle got progressively slower, & more sluggish!? I didn't know what was wrong? Once I put the old orig filter back in, the Tucson started to run like a scared rabbit with, regained power, esp. with A/C on!

Somewhere I read that the 2.4L engine has no MAF sensor, so it does not know what to do with the extra, or faster flowing air!

The worst thing you want is an engine that is running too lean! :eek:

I don't know how this engine regulates the air/fuel ratio? but i was astonished by these results.

I would investigate if the Sorrento V6 has a MAF sensor, or not? and or how it deals with the air/fuel ratio. In other words, hold onto that filter, just in case ;)

Yeah I still have the old air filter and I do believe the v6 has the MAF...I thought I seen it...but will double check tomorrow.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX I4 2.4 DOHC
3 Posts
My 2006 Spectra5 got great gas mileage and drove like a rocket. My new 2013 Sorento LX I4 is a boat anchor. I am lucky to get 18 mpg. I just passed the 4,000 mile mark and have changed the oil to Mobile 1 synthetic oil and I'm lucky to get 18.5 mpg.

I should leave the Kia in the driveway and drive my full-size Chevy truck to work, I would save gas!

By 800 miles the paint on the center console was coming off.

I want my Spectra5 back.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts