Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon Everyone,

Need some expert advice, so here I am lol

Daughter just took her 2013 Kia Sorento SX into the Kia dealer because of over heating, and was told she needed a new engine because of stripped head bolts, and also a blown head gasket. I was shocked, since I have redone heads and valves on my Ford (sorry) due to a head gasket, and never had a problem with stripped head bolts. Well after talking to the service manager, I was told it was due to the aluminum block, and a helicoil would not work nor should you chance it. He was very nice, and took the time to explain. Of course she is the second owner so the 100k mile warranty is out the door with 78k miles. The service manager said we were quoted a used engine from a company called LQK and the cost was around $ 7100.00 for the motor and install. Problem is, is that it is a used motor with around 70K miles on it. He also talked about a Kia reman motor, which would be $1000 or more extra for that motor with a 1 year 12k mile warranty. Unreal. He also stated to call Kia Corp, and keep calling until they hopefully help with the issue with a monetary value. So some advice is really needed, so I can calm my daughter down. I am willing to help, but need to know the best road to take. So here are the options, and was wondering if you could give some thought to it, or maybe have a better option or opinion ?????

1. A friend said you could redo the threads on the head. It was not easy, but could be done. Would they hold ???
2. Go with a used LKQ motor with 60-70k miles ? (just don't sound right for the cost)
3. Go with a reman Kia motor for more $$$$ ???
4. Call Kia Corp. till they cave in and help ???
5. Buy a gallon of gas and go at it ???? ;(

Just hard to understand in my world, where an engine needs to be replaced because the head bolt (s) are stripped.

I thank you in advance for your opinions and any other options lol. Have a great day..................?

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,425 Posts
First off, those engine price quotes are off-the-wall expensive, even for a stealership.

Now about that stripped bolt story, let's assume they diagnosed the overheat as a blown head gasket, by doing a compression/leak down test. Or maybe they just guessed, which wouldn't be a big surprise either. In any case, unless your daughter authorized them to replace the HG, why would they be removing the valve cover and messing around with the head bolts at that point? It sounds like a bunch of BS, but that's obviously JMO. I recommend taking it to an independent shop for a second opinion, but without mentioning anything to them about the first diagnosis.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kiaguy,

Thanks for the response. I don't trust them very much either, but could not really find another mechanic that I did. We took it in for a diagnosis of over heating so maybe that's their protocol, not sure. I thought the prices were high too, so I looked on ebay, and found one with all new pistons, bearings, main bearings, and gaskets with a 2 year warranty for $ 3500. Kia will install for $ 1700.00, but I will definitely get a second opinion. Have a great day.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
934 Posts
A device called a 'Timesert' should work. Find a good mechanic who knows how to install them.
Three months have passed....not sure what has happened since then...

Reactions: Pretender

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,425 Posts
Have to say that this is the first thread I've seen on any Kia/Hyundai forum talking about head bolts stripping out on their newer engines. I'm wondering if your mechanic is perhaps lumping your head bolt issue in with all the other much more well known issues with Kia/Hyundai engines (of which there are many).

·
Registered
2011 kis sorento LX V6
2 Posts
Good Afternoon Everyone,

Need some expert advice, so here I am lol

Daughter just took her 2013 Kia Sorento SX into the Kia dealer because of over heating, and was told she needed a new engine because of stripped head bolts, and also a blown head gasket. I was shocked, since I have redone heads and valves on my Ford (sorry) due to a head gasket, and never had a problem with stripped head bolts. Well after talking to the service manager, I was told it was due to the aluminum block, and a helicoil would not work nor should you chance it. He was very nice, and took the time to explain. Of course she is the second owner so the 100k mile warranty is out the door with 78k miles. The service manager said we were quoted a used engine from a company called LQK and the cost was around $ 7100.00 for the motor and install. Problem is, is that it is a used motor with around 70K miles on it. He also talked about a Kia reman motor, which would be $1000 or more extra for that motor with a 1 year 12k mile warranty. Unreal. He also stated to call Kia Corp, and keep calling until they hopefully help with the issue with a monetary value. So some advice is really needed, so I can calm my daughter down. I am willing to help, but need to know the best road to take. So here are the options, and was wondering if you could give some thought to it, or maybe have a better option or opinion ?????

1. A friend said you could redo the threads on the head. It was not easy, but could be done. Would they hold ???
2. Go with a used LKQ motor with 60-70k miles ? (just don't sound right for the cost)
3. Go with a reman Kia motor for more $$$$ ???
4. Call Kia Corp. till they cave in and help ???
5. Buy a gallon of gas and go at it ???? ;(

Just hard to understand in my world, where an engine needs to be replaced because the head bolt (s) are stripped.

I thank you in advance for your opinions and any other options lol. Have a great day..................?
They can be fixed with hyli coils check spelling.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento v6 3.3l
7 Posts
Did the bolts pull from the block? “Strip”?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
934 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
1 Posts
I'm in the same predictament. 125K miles. My Sorento started overheating randomly on a Thursday. The coolant was completely gone. Just got work on it 4 months ago, but nothing engine related. Took it to the Kia Dealer and was told the head gasket was blown and it would need another engine ($5 - $8K, yep that's what they quoted) because the coolant was mixing with the oil in the engine. I kindly towed my car to someone I trust for a second opinion. He told me that the oil and coolant was not mixing, that was a straight-up lie, but that the head bolts are stripped. Ugh. The check engine light never came on. I only knew there was a problem because of the sweet smell and coolant disappearing. Calling Kia.

·
Registered
KIA Sorento 2012 3.5 v6
2 Posts
I think this happen when a mechanic uses an impact wrench to remove head bolts, so brittle to withhold , I would use an insert,or find a machine shop that can weld hole then rethread it

·
Registered
2016 kia sorento ex 3.3l
1 Posts
so im a certified tech and i had the same problem of threads being pulled out of the block on my 2016 kia sorento 3.3l and this a common problem with this engine. I talked to the parts guy at the kia dealership and they have done a ton of them for this issue. Which i have seen that it has pulled the threads prior to removing the head bolt and 1\2 of the head bolt on both heads were loose and coolant contaminated the oil. But what im getting at does anyone know of someone starting a class action lawsuit for this problem?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,081 Posts
so im a certified tech and i had the same problem of threads being pulled out of the block on my 2016 kia sorento 3.3l and this a common problem with this engine. I talked to the parts guy at the kia dealership and they have done a ton of them for this issue. Which i have seen that it has pulled the threads prior to removing the head bolt and 1\2 of the head bolt on both heads were loose and coolant contaminated the oil. But what im getting at does anyone know of someone starting a class action lawsuit for this problem?
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your Profile/Account Details

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/account-details

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts