Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX (w/ Nav)
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I just recently purchased a new 2013 Kia Rio5 SX with the Navigation package. I was just wondering if anyone knew it's limitations in terms of media streaming?
Also, does the navigation package allow for text messages to be read?

I have been playing around with the settings, but it seems to be very limited in terms of commands for anything other than the navigation and to dial a phone number. I can connect my phone (iPhone 5) via Bluetooth, but there is no song listing or anything listed other than "Courteney's iPhone." It also seems to just randomly jump from song to song with no rhyme or reason, despite wanting to play a specific playlist and setting it to the playlist before connecting to BT. (My phone also does not connect via USB, but that is another issue in itself.)

I am absolutely in love with my new car, but was hoping for some insight from Kia owners who have had the Rio longer than a week. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
405 Posts
over bluetooth i don't believe there is ever the option of seeing a list of songs, to do that you need to use usb. i think... or at least that is how it works on my UVO.
for usb, make sure you are using an apple usb cord, and didn't get suckered into buying the kia usb cord, that is only for really old ipods... your iphone 5 won't work properly on the kia cord...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Thanks for the reply! I have tried using my Apple USB cord in the Rio and it will not charge the phone and says "Media not recognized." From my research on this forum, it is looking to me like I need to purchase a Kia/Hyundai iPod cord (with both USB and AUX) and then a Lightning to 30-pin Adapter cord from Apple. Are you saying that the Kia cord will not work for me?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
405 Posts
http://www.kia-forums.com/4g-2011-optima/73344-uvo-system-uses-standard-apply-ipod.html
http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-soul-forum/54723-must-buy-kia-ipod-cable-why.html

humm... maybe you do need the kia cable... seems to maybe be different for the nav system. there are some uvo updates on kiatechinfo.com, maybe worth updating?

try rebooting iphone as well (hold power/home button for maybe 30 seconds until it reboots).

http://www.kia.com/content/media/all/about/uvo/pdf/Phone_Compatibility_Matrix.pdf

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
i hope you figure out your issues soon, we don't have the same system here in austraila but i can tell you our system is a little buggy too regarding BT in general, especially when there are multiple paired phones in the car at once.

welcome aboard and enjoy your new car!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am in Canada, I do not believe we have Pandora. For Bluetooth, I can only stream the music on my iPhone, and lately it has been connecting sometimes and saying "no media" other times.
I have purchased the Kia cable online and the iPhone 5 lightning adapter so I am hoping that will allow me to charge my phone and play my music.

We'll see!

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,412 Posts
The nav radio in the Rio requires use of the Kia cable if using an Ipod/Iphone. The UVO and base radios will work with the Apple cable, and do not require the Kia cable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The nav radio in the Rio requires use of the Kia cable if using an Ipod/Iphone. The UVO and base radios will work with the Apple cable, and do not require the Kia cable.
Glad I purchased the Kia cable then.. hoping it works! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts