Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2013 Kia Rio Hatchback with only 68k miles on it and one previous owner. There's been no issues with the engine based on the carfax for the vehicle. But my check engine/malfunction light came on and at first nothing happened. Then randomly my gas pedal stopped accelerating. I turned off the car, let it sit and then turned it back on again. I revved the engine and the gas worked fine and I made it home. In the morning I turned on the car and the engine light was off. It will randomly come on with no real reason and nothing FEELS wrong with it. I did fill it up at the gas station for the first time and noticed the loose gas cap may cause check engine light to come on if it doesn't click at least once. I could not get the cap to click for the life of me, but it did close. Does anyone know if that would cause the gas pedal to stop accelerating? Has anyone else experienced this? This is the first car I've ever purchased on my own so I wanna make sure I'm taking care of it!

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
74 Posts
The code needs to be pulled from the computer. Even though the light is off it should still be in the computers memory. Many places that sell autoparts should be able to get the code for you. It is pretty difficult to determine what is going on without it.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan, 17 Ford Edge Sport, 15 Mustang, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,692 Posts
I just bought a 2013 Kia Rio Hatchback with only 68k miles on it and one previous owner. There's been no issues with the engine based on the carfax for the vehicle. But my check engine/malfunction light came on and at first nothing happened. Then randomly my gas pedal stopped accelerating. I turned off the car, let it sit and then turned it back on again. I revved the engine and the gas worked fine and I made it home. In the morning I turned on the car and the engine light was off. It will randomly come on with no real reason and nothing FEELS wrong with it. I did fill it up at the gas station for the first time and noticed the loose gas cap may cause check engine light to come on if it doesn't click at least once. I could not get the cap to click for the life of me, but it did close. Does anyone know if that would cause the gas pedal to stop accelerating? Has anyone else experienced this? This is the first car I've ever purchased on my own so I wanna make sure I'm taking care of it!
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio, 2010 Mercedes Benz C300, 2005 Ponitiac GTO, 2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT
1,111 Posts
As far as the gas cap goes, I'd replace it if it doesn't click. It probably seals just fine but it's supposed to click. The cap should be covered under the 8 year/80000 mile federal emissions warrandy. Doubtful that it would cause to stop your car from accelerating, however.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts