Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX+ HB, MT, Silver
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last 4 days, Ive had to get my brand new (1 month old) Rio towed because its stalls then won't start. The first time was last Saturday, June 30th. It died backing out of a laneway. Full battery power, but wont turnover. It was fairly hot. Maybe 27 c (80f). The tow truck guy could not start it either. He thought gas wasn't getting to the engine. The dealership finally looked at it yesterday. They said it was fine. It worked for them no problem. Today, I was coming out of the grocery store. (hot day maybe 34 c, 90'sf). I was just in the store 10 minutes. the car stalled and died backing up. Would never start again. This time the tow truck driver said, he thinks its a dud car. I talked to the dealership. They were SO NOT helpful. They would not even come and get me. I walked home! I'm so damn mad! They said they would check it again tomorrow. Thats all!
Any known issues with this problem. They are either incompetent, or just down care.

·
Registered
2013 Rio LX 6 Speed
12 Posts
Firsrt I would give your dealership a chance to correct the issue. If that does not help you can start by writing KIA Motors with your situation. I would go the corporate route as this tends to motivae the dealership to make it right. There is no excuse they can give as to why your car doesn't run. Bring it back and refuse to take it until its fixed. There is a lemon law here in US. I don't know about Canada. If the dealership cannot correct the problem in 3 attempts you can start legal proceedings for the dealership to buy it back or replace the entire car. Here's the link to Corporate.

RetroRio

Contact Us | Kia Motors Global Official Site

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Reto. That's really appreciated! I'll see what they say tomorrow. If they can't help, or unwilling to take responsibility, I'll take the next step, as you pointed out.

Thanks for the link :)

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
Does not crank, or crank but not start? Its a big difference as to what could be wrong depending on the situation.

If the dealership cannot correct the problem in 3 attempts you can start legal proceedings ...
This only counts if repairs are made and the same problem still exists. If they can't duplicate the concern, then they probably didn't make any repairs. Its extremely difficult to diagnose a problem if it does not present itself at the time of diagnosis.

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 LX+ MT
6 Posts
Hi there, the same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. I have a 2012 Rio5, which I've only had for about 6 months (less than 12,000kms on it). The car stalled out/died on me while I was leaving a parking lot. I restarted, but it only moved a few meters before stalling again - this time it would not restart. Boosting was unsuccessful.

I called roadside assistance and they towed it back to the dealership. They were unable to diagnose the problem that day, and eventually spent over two weeks trying to figure out what was wrong. Yesterday they advised me that the issue was with the wiring harness, which unfortunately isn't readily available - it has to be shipped in from Korea, which involves a one month wait. Perhaps your vehicle has a similar issue.?

Have you had any luck contacting Kia via email? I sent a message (using the "Contact Us" link on kia.ca) two days ago, so far no response so far apart from the auto reply that states they received my message. Trying to call in also proved to be unsuccessful - I tried twice, the call would always drop just as I was put on hold. I've been patient through all of this, but it is getting to be quite frustrating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to say service was pretty good in the end. After the second time the car died, it was towed back to the dealership. This time they wanted every little detail that happened leading up to the car stalling. What I realized was that both times I was in reverse. That was a factor. An hour later they were able to re-create it. They thought it was a voltage issue, but as the car was so new they didn't have the part or fully understand how to install it. After the repair, the car worked for them for a few hours then stalled out again. Long story short it was the a defective fuel pump. They replaced it and it's fine now. They tried smaller fixes first, until they relaized that it was a bigger issue. The nice part it they rented me a car while mine was being repaired.
Hopefully you can get yours taken care of quickly!

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 LX+ MT
6 Posts
That's good that yours didn't end up being something more significant! The service at my dealership has been good as well - everyone has been nothing but courteous and proffesional so far. I'm still waiting for the part to arrive, but there's nothing to do to make it go faster - fortunately the dealership rented me a car too, which makes the whole thing more bearable :)

·
Registered
Kia Rio LX '12
4 Posts
This happened to me yesterday

Driving - It too was pretty hot out. Stopped for gas, and within 20 ft from the pump the car died and wouldn't start again. Cranked over fine though. Of course dealer says they think bad gas, but I can't see how it would get to the engine that quick.. seriously 20 ft. Had the Kia roadside assistance come and tow it away so we'll see what happens. Glad to have that, but this is still a pain. :puzzled:

Attachments

·
Registered
Kia Rio LX '12
4 Posts
2012 Kia Rio LX - Wouldn't Start

So the dealer took it in. They said it wouldn't start when the wrecker dropped it off, but started a couple days later (Saturday afternoon to Monday morning). They took it out for a road test, and it stalled out and wouldn't start again. After going through the car, they found it to be a bad ground. We'll see how I do as I have a 300 mile journey tomorrow, but it seems to be running fine now. :clap:

Overall an inconvenience, which is why I bought a new car, but Kia took care of it pretty well.

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 LX+ MT
6 Posts
That's good that your car was back on the road so quickly! Hope all went well on the 300 mi drive. I'm still waiting for my car to be repaired (there is a delay in delivery on the part they need), but am really enjoying the rental I ended up with - Fiat 500 :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts