Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2013 Kia Rio Ex with ISG and the mileage quoted to me by the salesperson and the window sticker was 31 city and 41 highway.
I only got 22 on the first tank with Eco on and Off and ISG ON at all time.
2nd tank I only got 25.18 with ECO OFF AND ISG ON at all time.

Please let me know what are my options with the dealership to get this fixed.

Thank you

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX, 5-door, Midnight Sapphire
13 Posts
Highway, city, stuck in a traffic jam for a day? Are you a fast driver, meaning hard off at a green light, late brake at a red? Some people just drive aggressively, passing people up to a red light and all, and I could see that kind of driver getting low miles. My average isn't meeting the 33 average predicted either, but man would I love to see a video of how you drove when you got that 22mpg tank. Hopefully there's not a problem, but it's hard to tell without details, and even then...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Highway, city, stuck in a traffic jam for a day? Are you a fast driver, meaning hard off at a green light, late brake at a red? Some people just drive aggressively, passing people up to a red light and all, and I could see that kind of driver getting low miles. My average isn't meeting the 33 average predicted either, but man would I love to see a video of how you drove when you got that 22mpg tank. Hopefully there's not a problem, but it's hard to tell without details, and even then...
My wife drives the car and she is not at all an aggressive driver since she has just been driving for a year. She just uses it to go to work from home and so basically its all city driving but still 25 is not acceptable..
Please advice what can I do.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
I bought a 2013 Kia Rio Ex with ISG and the mileage quoted to me by the salesperson and the window sticker was 31 city and 41 highway.

Thank you
As I observed myself since 2 1/2 months I have my Rio EX automatic, the Rio will never top the EPA numbers. One has to deal with it. One has to accept this fact. EPA numbers are too high and the Rio is not and cannot have the near Hybrid mileage we are told when we buy the car. My own experience is that we have to come to terms with fuel economy. It's not that bad: I manage to do around 7.3-7.5L/100km. Which is good but not terrific. Fuel economy will always be the biggest let down of this car. No matter how you drive it, its engine is not the fuel miser it is said to be. Same discussion and disappointment on the Accent side. Check the Accent forum and everywhere on the Net. Seems that owners of Accent and Rio that get high fuel economy are the exception. OK, true your mileage will get better with time but to avoid you any disappointment, don't think it's going to beat say a Fiesta at this game. No way. If someone proves me wrong, I will say "excuse me" in a flash. For the rest, the car is just awesome.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts

Thank you
that is simply a guide to compare one vehicle with another under the same identical conditions, it states you may not get that. If you drive like they tested it you would probably get it but there is too many factors in rear-world driving and besides you've only done a couple of tankfuls, no assessment with regarding a problem can be made on that basis.
How did you calculate the figures you stated (specific details)?

Get a few thousand miles on it first before being concerned over a couple of tankfuls. I also wouldn't be using Active ECO or ISG while its in its break-in period. It's a brand-new engine, it takes a while to learn your driving habits.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
2nd tank of gas and complaining about mileage already? Give it a chance to get broken in at least a little bit. 2 tanks is way to soon to get a handle on mileage. I now have about 1800 km (about 1100 miles) driving with with eco off on this tank, all city, stop and go traffic and I am getting 8.5L/100km (27.6 mpg). That's down from almost 10L/100km on my first tank, and not far off the EPA estimates.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2nd tank of gas and complaining about mileage already? Give it a chance to get broken in at least a little bit. 2 tanks is way to soon to get a handle on mileage. I now have about 1800 km (about 1100 miles) driving with with eco off on this tank, all city, stop and go traffic and I am getting 8.5L/100km (27.6 mpg). That's down from almost 10L/100km on my first tank, and not far off the EPA estimates.
I understand its just 2 tanks but still the numbers are far away from what to expect. I specially bought this car looking at the 31 mpg city mileage.
I am taking it to the dealership to be checked just to make sure everything is OK.
Will update if anything.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I understand its just 2 tanks but still the numbers are far away from what to expect. I specially bought this car looking at the 31 mpg city mileage.
I am taking it to the dealership to be checked just to make sure everything is OK.
Will update if anything.
you haven't told us exactly how you calculated these mpg figures - we've read before that people have not done it incorrectly. :)

Puzzled how you figure you would obtain 31 in the city, did you not realize it is simply a guide :confused:

My guess is that there is nothing wrong with the engine when you go in for a check, but I guess you will get peace of mind then.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,923 Posts
coolhunk11...
First ...enjoy the car...stop worrying about mileage so soon.. The car is like a new pair of jeans...Uncomfortable and tight. After a couple of days they loosen up and get to know you... Today's cars are "smart" cars. The engine and transmission "learn" how you drive and will perform "trying" to satisfy your desires. It's hard not to "see how she performs" and hit the gas. The car then "thinks" that's the way you want it and changes it's performance curves. (you might want to "reset" it's learning curve).

I have an 06 Kia Spectra that I got used with 24k (another story) and it performed just "OK". I removed the battery connections for some reason and wiped it's learning curve. It ran poorly at first but within 100 miles it was running better than it ever did since I bought it... I get around 24~27 in town and "if" I stay under 70MPH.. 34 Highway...

To get the higher numbers.... try to keep the tach under 3k. (mine I stay around 2.2~2.5k and let up on the pedal so it shifts to next gear)... Anticipate traffic ahead (cars at intersections, lights changing, cars slowing) and ease up on the gas. Let it coast coming up on red (or changing) lights and give yourself a little room.. Getting the car rolling from a dead stop consumes a lot of gas (try pushing a car)... if the car is still rolling and you lightly accelerate from that point your mileage WILL go up... The EPA numbers are wrong and I would not rely on them as a goal...

You might want to go to "iaai.com" and look at the small "salvage"cars up for auction..
The reasoning behind this is to get to know what your car will look like in say a 30mph crash. NONE of the newer cars look good because they are designed to "crush" even at lower speeds... This will help you to "rethink" how you drive knowing your "baby" may be the next up for auction... I watch carefully all the cars around me (front and rear) and think about what I'd do in an upcoming situation. I tell my wife I drive 3~4 cars ahead of me, watching for brake lights that far ahead (as well as the one directly in front of me).
I'm not saying you are a bad driver...but there are a lot of poor drivers on the road, I'm just saying drive thinking ahead...

You did not mention if you had an automatic or a stick... If a stick stay away from higher RPMs and drive like you have your precious infant in the back seat or china dishes on the front seat. Get off the clutch and have it either in or out and not somewhere in between. Replacing a clutch in a front wheel drive IS labor expensive.

You will find a sweet spot where your car will perform close to what you want. There is no such thing as a perfect child and the same goes with cars
Now go enjoy your pretty new RIO
Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you haven't told us exactly how you calculated these mpg figures - we've read before that people have not done it incorrectly. :)

Puzzled how you figure you would obtain 31 in the city, did you not realize it is simply a guide :confused:

My guess is that there is nothing wrong with the engine when you go in for a check, but I guess you will get peace of mind then.
I filled up the tank and had the odometer set to ZERO. And then when I filled up the tank next time I noted the gallons required to fill up the tank.
Divided the number for miles on the odometer with the gallons required to fil the tank.

This is the correct way to calculate it I believe.
Please correct....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
coolhunk11...
First ...enjoy the car...stop worrying about mileage so soon.. The car is like a new pair of jeans...Uncomfortable and tight. After a couple of days they loosen up and get to know you... Today's cars are "smart" cars. The engine and transmission "learn" how you drive and will perform "trying" to satisfy your desires. It's hard not to "see how she performs" and hit the gas. The car then "thinks" that's the way you want it and changes it's performance curves. (you might want to "reset" it's learning curve).

I have an 06 Kia Spectra that I got used with 24k (another story) and it performed just "OK". I removed the battery connections for some reason and wiped it's learning curve. It ran poorly at first but within 100 miles it was running better than it ever did since I bought it... I get around 24~27 in town and "if" I stay under 70MPH.. 34 Highway...

To get the higher numbers.... try to keep the tach under 3k. (mine I stay around 2.2~2.5k and let up on the pedal so it shifts to next gear)... Anticipate traffic ahead (cars at intersections, lights changing, cars slowing) and ease up on the gas. Let it coast coming up on red (or changing) lights and give yourself a little room.. Getting the car rolling from a dead stop consumes a lot of gas (try pushing a car)... if the car is still rolling and you lightly accelerate from that point your mileage WILL go up... The EPA numbers are wrong and I would not rely on them as a goal...

You might want to go to "iaai.com" and look at the small "salvage"cars up for auction..
The reasoning behind this is to get to know what your car will look like in say a 30mph crash. NONE of the newer cars look good because they are designed to "crush" even at lower speeds... This will help you to "rethink" how you drive knowing your "baby" may be the next up for auction... I watch carefully all the cars around me (front and rear) and think about what I'd do in an upcoming situation. I tell my wife I drive 3~4 cars ahead of me, watching for brake lights that far ahead (as well as the one directly in front of me).
I'm not saying you are a bad driver...but there are a lot of poor drivers on the road, I'm just saying drive thinking ahead...

You did not mention if you had an automatic or a stick... If a stick stay away from higher RPMs and drive like you have your precious infant in the back seat or china dishes on the front seat. Get off the clutch and have it either in or out and not somewhere in between. Replacing a clutch in a front wheel drive IS labor expensive.

You will find a sweet spot where your car will perform close to what you want. There is no such thing as a perfect child and the same goes with cars
Now go enjoy your pretty new RIO
Dave
Thank you Dave for all the suggestions. I will give it some time more. By the way it is an automatic one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2013 eco Rio is at 800 miles now and only getting 25 mpg and its 80% highway.Driven with a one 220 lb.person load and nothing in the trunk.The only reason car was bought was because of mpg of 41 highway at this price range.Last tank was 27 mpg..dealer told to always have eco on,not told of break period for a eco.car is accelerated slowly,easy on brakes,no hot rodding.Its AZ,so AC is running and speed limit is 65.Break in period or not,25 is horrendously poor,its a con,35 would have been ok,25 is ridiculous .Car was thoroughly researched before purchase and so was modern MPG ratings,it was stated that all rating now take in to effect that cars are driven with AC and such,thats its regular driving not coasting down hills,and stated they broke away from the ambitious rating of yesteryear where a car nearly had to coast to achieve rating,government said modern ratings were much more accurate.I am seeing others complain of the same milege I'm getting,and also seeing a few quick to judge them like its their fault,just because their mileage is better.I have 40 years driving experience,so I know that the car is being driven easily like its in a break in period. I test MPG the same way I have for 40 years.In high school My 1969, 396 Chevelle got the standard 9mpg ,the figuring of mpg is not rocket science

·
Registered
2012 Optoma Hybrid (Light graphite)
169 Posts
My Rio got 35 mpg easily. Not sure what's going on with yours. In fact my former Rio got better mpg than my Optima hybrid now. You might need to take it in for a check up, somethings not right.

·
Registered
corvette 1992, Kia Rio 2013
14 Posts
My first post here, The one thing that will make bad gas mileage is ethanol or E10 in gas, they use this for emissions purposes, this will ruin gas mileage and maybe long term fuel system problems, Now get ready for E15 ,15% ethanol with will cause more havoc with mileage.
Most manufacturers are fighting this as it will have more warranty implications on the fuel system.
Now having said all this we are getting with the eco on around 25 MPG in town and 34 highway.....so far at 2000 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
My Rio got 35 mpg easily. Not sure what's going on with yours. In fact my former Rio got better mpg than my Optima hybrid now. You might need to take it in for a check up, somethings not right.
keep in mind that what you get and somebody else gets, just because its not the same does not mean there is a problem, unless of course you live on the same street and drive the same identical driving conditions everyday :)

·
Registered
Rio 5dr SX Electric Blue
144 Posts
52xx miles on the clock in my 2012 SX hatch and my FE has been going down rather than up. I was averaging 31 from a tank and this last fill up I was rewarded for my excellent purchase of this car with 28.4 mpg. Please don't try and school me on driving habits and conditions. I do not drive aggressively, no green light launches or punching the pedal to the metal to pass the guy in front of me. I drive super conservative at or under the posted speed limit given the driving conditions with ECO on if I am city driving and off on highway. I also use the cruise control when the situation permits. Most of my driving is to and from work with the occasional side trip and I can estimate 60% of my commute is on hwy at cruising speeds. I happened to get a s*box, pure and simple. It goes into the dealer this weekend for a fuel consumption test and to my surprise the dealer said they would foot the bill for this, the s*box will spend a halfday at the dealer while they try to get some answers. This will be traded in though I am pretty sure, I am not going to continue to watch my FE spiral downward and lose money on gas. I will eat the loss on the car before I let it go on any longer. Sorry about your luck with this one, seems like you may have a cousin of mine.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Looks like horror stories with Rios keep on coming...After Maggie with her computer faulty car, here comes another bad FE experience. I agree with demonr6, one should stop lecturing Rio's owners with bad FE on their driving habits. I'm afraid that with these numerous reports of bad FE -and it goes for Accents too just read on their forum- Rios and Accents may get a reputation of "take a chance on me" regarding FE. True many owners get decent FE but true also many owners get bad FE. For now, my Rio behaves correctly but I have no Wow on the FE. Good for the category no more no less. Rios and Accents should not be considered and advertised as fuel misers. Rather little marvels of technology with their GDI engine and their ton of options. In this department, Rios win. Plus, it's beautifully designed cars and rather comfortable.

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 SX
64 Posts
I've noticed that the Rio is extremely, and when I say extremely I mean extremely sensitive to engine load fuel economy loss.

I average about 33-35mpg combined city/highway driving when it's just me in the car, then my wife and I took a long trip to my mother house on a mostly flat highway surface, I reset the mileage on the trip computer when I got on the highway, when I got off it was in the high 40s.

We've car pooled a few times, and when going up a hill with two people in the car, the engine has to really struggle, especially with the ECO mode turned on. I've noticed that I get better mileage when I turn ECO mode off for hilly (is that a word?) areas, and turn it on when I get into the town I work in that is relatively flat. I think the reduced shift points and weaker throttle response make the engine work less efficiently under heavy load (extra weight, hills) than it would without the ECO mode.

Also, calculating fuel economy based on divididing the miles driven by the gallons of gas used is very inaccurate. The energy content of a gallon of gas can vary by temperature, manufacturer, blends, pump differences, etc. Also, you are dividing the miles you drove on the last tank by the number of gallons it took to currently fill the tank. The previous 10 gallons of gas might have had a different energy content than the current 10 gallons you just put into the car.

All that being said, don't just turn on ECO mode and think you're getting energy savings. All the system does is lower the shift point and throttle response, which under some conditions, will reduce fuel economy greatly.

The trip computer is calculating the gas mileage more effectively, in my opinion, since the computer knows how much gas is being used by each injector.

·
Registered
2012 rio 5 mt
31 Posts
2012 gas mileage 6speed m/t

my rio 5 I have 8500 miles here in michigan I just filled up on empty 315 miles 9.35 gallons of fuel = 33.68 miles per gallon I drive to work 15 miles one way and around town for the week.... I took a trip up north loaded with 4 people and gottn 39.7 mpg calculatred out I tend to take off quick and high rev a bit my wife says I would get better milage I would say all around I get 34 mpg I dont go by the gauge on the dash as it is NOT correct...

·
Registered
Kia Soul, toyota pick up
7 Posts
How are you calculating your gas mileage?
Sometimes people go off the wrong math. ( for example, a 12 gallon tank they top off and drive it until the fuel gauge is almost on Empty. But there is still 2 gallons left in the tank even though it shows empty) So they divide 300 by 12 gallons which equals 25 MPG. But instead if you divide 300 by 10 gallons you get 30 MPG. Which makes a difference in numbers.

Im not saying you are doing it wrong, I am just throwing it out there for a possibility. My uncle has that car and he gets about 32 MPG highway. I hope it works out for you

1 - 20 of 83 Posts