Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Forte LX+SE, Ford Escape
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've had my Kia rio 6-speed manual since late December. I notice when I bring it up to 110 kmph I start to get an engine vibration. Seems to be when I hit 2900-3000 rpms. If I take it up to 118-120 it smooths out a bit. The car has only 900km's on it. I find that it seems to be reving pretty high for a car that has 6 gears. at 110 it is around 2800rpm. Has anybody else had this issue?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean the wheel rim? If so I don't think so. I tested it while going downhill as I thought maybe it was my winter tires. Got the car up to 110 and put it in neutral. Noise was gone until I put it back in gear. I brought it to the dealer and he told me engine is still new and to give it to 1000kms. Noise is still there so I wondered if anyone else has this problem.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
404 Posts
i think there is a TSB for that problem... check kiatechinfo.com
it is something like a vibration at a certain rpm...

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 Manual
35 Posts
I noticed a subtle, rhythmic thrumming around around 60 mph in my 6-speed 2013. I hope it's not a problem :-/

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It isn't extremely loud but it is quite noticeable. I didn't notice it on the Automatic that I had test drove or it would have been a deal killer. I don't want to live with that as that's my cruising speed on the highway. Hope there is a fix. What RPM's are you getting when you are cruising in 6th gear around 60mph or 110kmph. The dealer told me it should be dropping to 2500-2600rpm. I think he was guessing.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
not sure if this related to your problem but here is one TSB - 127
SERVICE ACTION: INSPECTION FOR NOISE FROM ENGINE UNDER SPECIFIC CONDITIONS (SA 141)

This bulletin provides information relating to certain 2013MY Rio (UB vehicles which may
exhibit abnormal engine noises, including "rattling" and "chattering", under specific conditions.
Only a very small number of vehicles within the identified Production Date range will actually be affected; make sure to follow the detailed instructions and recently updated inspection procedure in this bulletin to prevent unnecessary engine replacements. This procedure applies to vehicles produced from August 09, 2012 to October 09, 2012.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I plan on taking it to the dealer soon to see what they say. Definitley coming from the engine. I will try to get some info on the TSB before heading in. Anybody know the easiet way to find out when the car was manufactured?

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
it's written on the manufacturing plates which from memory are inside the drivers door-jam

but i'm from a RHD country so it may be on the left side of yours. There should be a Korean compliance plate then a local one - look at the Korean one for the date

ours is 03/12

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
Well I plan on taking it to the dealer soon to see what they say. Definitley coming from the engine. I will try to get some info on the TSB before heading in. Anybody know the easiet way to find out when the car was manufactured?
the drivers door jamb will only tell you the month and year but not the specific date. With your VIN number your dealer can give you exact date the vehicle was built.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When you go up to 70 mph, how many rpms? Also, do you notice that it becomes rougher on the engine?

·
Registered
2007 Grand Carnival EX, 2012 Rio Si 5 Door Hatch
21 Posts
Vibration @ 110 km/h in sixth gear

I have also noticed a drumming type vibration at 110 km/h in 6th gear in my manual 1.6 litre Rio. Mine was built in Oct 2012. It is going in for its free 3000km service tomorrow and I will be raising it with the dealer.

The vibration is most noticeable at 110 km/h and it drops off as you either speed up to about 120 km/h or slow down to 100 km/h.

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
Calculated RPMs for Rio at 100 km/h are 2610 M/T and 2225 A/T in 6th gear. At 110 km/h these will be 2875 and 2450 respectively. These seem normal RPMs for a smallish 4-Cylinder car.

Remember there will be speedo errors (normally 4% optimistic). Tacho on my Cerato was quite accurate, but hard to read precisely.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.