Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Hatchback
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Is there anywhere that you can get a bug deflector for a 2013 Kia rio? I have looked everywhere. I do know that it is maybe too new of a car, but there are not even any that go with the 2012. The only thing I can find is the clear tape, but I do not want to put that on the paint. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2012 Rio SX Hatch
391 Posts
Hello all. Is there anywhere that you can get a bug deflector for a 2013 Kia rio? I have looked everywhere. I do know that it is maybe too new of a car, but there are not even any that go with the 2012. The only thing I can find is the clear tape, but I do not want to put that on the paint. Any help would be appreciated.
i have a dealer purchased/installed 2012 bug defector. i'm sure it would fit the 2013 perfectly as the hood did not change at all...

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
Personally, I WAY prefer the clear tape - or "invisible bra" stuff... whatever you want to call it. It won't hurt the paint, it's easier to clean, won't break or chip, plus it just looks nicer - keeping the lines of the car intact.

I've also seen how it protects the paint from light damage, scuffing & scratching - a deflector will possibly cause more damage to the hood area if hit by something.

Just my .02

·
Registered
2012 Rio SX Hatch
391 Posts
Personally, I WAY prefer the clear tape - or "invisible bra" stuff... whatever you want to call it. It won't hurt the paint, it's easier to clean, won't break or chip, plus it just looks nicer - keeping the lines of the car intact.

I've also seen how it protects the paint from light damage, scuffing & scratching - a deflector will possibly cause more damage to the hood area if hit by something.

Just my .02
3M paint protection film (clear bra) is the way to go. I have it on my whole bumper and headlights, only reason i didn't do it on the hood, is i don't like the line that you can see, it collects dirt, and there is a difference once the car gets a bit dirty between the paint and the covered surface. i only have it applied to surfaces that the film ends at body lines.
Now if i could cover the entire hood... i FOR SURE would! the stuff is totally amazing, and will protect your paint finish for the life of the car!

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
3M paint protection film (clear bra) is the way to go. I have it on my whole bumper and headlights, only reason i didn't do it on the hood, is i don't like the line that you can see, it collects dirt, and there is a difference once the car gets a bit dirty between the paint and the covered surface. i only have it applied to surfaces that the film ends at body lines.
Now if i could cover the entire hood... i FOR SURE would! the stuff is totally amazing, and will protect your paint finish for the life of the car!
Ah, I see. Yes - the 3M stuff is amazing, I certainly agree on it's ability to protect the paint.

I'm about to wrap my whole car! Well... not in 3M, but in vinyl anyway - which also protects it pretty well (as I've done it in the past). It will advertise for my business.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Hatchback
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a dealer purchased/installed 2012 bug defector. i'm sure it would fit the 2013 perfectly as the hood did not change at all...
LordHelmet. Did you say that you purchased a bug deflector from the dealer? I talked to the dealer here in San Diego and they said they only have one for the 2011 and below and that Kia does not make one yet. They do have the 3m, but I want the hard one that mounts underneath the hood. Thanks LordHelmet

·
Registered
2012 Rio SX Hatch
391 Posts
LordHelmet. Did you say that you purchased a bug deflector from the dealer? I talked to the dealer here in San Diego and they said they only have one for the 2011 and below and that Kia does not make one yet. They do have the 3m, but I want the hard one that mounts underneath the hood. Thanks LordHelmet
i got it from the dealer, and it has to kia logo etched right on it, so i assume it is oem. but yes, this was purchased direct from the dealer.
you can see it right here: Kia Canada - Parts360
for about $100. it is the hard style that clips under the hood.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Hatchback
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Deflector

Hello again LordHelmet. Can you post a picture of it on this forum?

·
Registered
2012 Rio SX Hatch
391 Posts
Hello again LordHelmet. Can you post a picture of it on this forum?
i took some pictures this morning, but am having trouble uploading them.
when i try to add photos to this message it wants a url, is there any way to upload local pictures to this thread?
i went into members gallery and was able to upload them there, but it said they either didn't work or were being moderated.
if you can give me a simple primer on uploading images (or a link to a howto or thread about it) i'll get them up right away.
thanks!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Hatchback
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

LordHelmet. Thank you very much. I am going to call the dealership up there and see if they can send me one. Thank you.

·
Registered
2012 Rio SX Hatch
391 Posts
I have one on my car, purchased and installed (at home)....$106.87 plus tax ($122.90). Love the look on my Rio!!!
agree, this deflector is a lot sleeker than most, blends in nice and looks awesome! i was going to go with the 3M rockguard on the hood, but really liked to look of the deflector. don't really like them on other cars, but kia really did well with the design of this one!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Hatchback
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hail Kia Canada

I just recieved my bug deflector from a dealership in Canada. Mind you, I live in the San Diego, California area. Kia USA does not have this deflector. I asked why Kia USA does not have these, and Kia Canada does, they were not sure why. Anyway, the deflector looks great on my US Kia. I also want to thank LordHelmet again for the info on Kia Canada.

·
Registered
2012 Rio SX Hatch
391 Posts
do these help with stone chips
only on the area they cover, and maybe a few inches behind if rocks are coming straight on, but then i guess the bounce off and hit your windshield maybe?

they help to keep bugs off the windshield a bit by deflecting the air flow a bit...

if you want to protect against rock chips on your leading edges, best bet is the 3M rockguard.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts