Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Optima 2013
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

This is my first time posting in the Forum, I was hoping I could get some feedback from my fellow Optima/Kia owners. Occasionally when I honk my horn it results in a power shortage in the car. Specifically the RPMs drop to zero, the car will be trying to accelerate when pressing the gas from a stopped or moving position. If stopped sometimes it stalls when pressing the horn, sometimes it will go but very very slowly. No engine light or any lights illuminate on the dash. The RPMs will stay at zero although you can hear the car revving and it will move slowly as mentioned. When moving it hasn't stalled but the same symptoms, RPMs at zero, low power when accelerating.

Turning off and on the car clears the problem and the car will drive as normal. Kia doesn't seem to know what the issue is and has guessed it could be the junction box. I'm going to try to post a video of when it happened while driving around 80/90 km/hr.

I do have other minor electrical issues/glitches such as I try to roll the window up and instead it goes down. Sometimes the Bluetooth music won't work unless I go to the settings where it says enable Bluetooth and then leave the setting screen. When I turn on the car sometimes the radio/media does not work at all. Again turning off and on the car usually clears up the issues.

Anyone else experiencing this issue or similar issues with their Kia? My car has 109,000 km, so just my luck it is out of warranty and Kia isn't concerned that I may end up in an accident if this happens in an intersection or on the highway.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,266 Posts
... Kia doesn't seem to know what the issue is and has guessed it could be the junction box. ...
Just a couple of idle, unimportant curiosity questions. Did they happen to mention if they did ANY diagnostics, beyond plugging in their GDS, in order to come up with that guess? And did they say if they would diagnose if you pay more $$, or were they just planning on hanging on a new box? Anyway, let's move on to hopefully something of value.

I suspect you can live without the horn at this point, since you're probably worried it's going to shut down the vehicle. Assuming so, here's some simple diagnostics you can try, in order to help pinpoint the issue. First thing to try is disconnect both horns, and then press the horn button occasionally as you drive. The idea is to find out if the problem can be duplicated with the horns disconnected. Naturally you'll want to hit the horn only when you feel safe in the event of a stall.

If an extended period of time goes by without the issue you've been having, then connect only one of the horns and run the same testing again for a while. If the problem still doesn't happen, switch the horn connections and retest. No problem only with both horns disconnected would probably mean a fuse box issue (corrosion or damaged wiring). However, if one horn, but not the other causes the issue to occur, then the problem has been isolated to one circuit (part of which is in the fuse box).

But, if the issue still occurs with both horns disconnected, then remove the horn relay and retest. Assuming the problem doesn't return with that relay out, it almost certainly becomes isolated to the fuse box. It would be surprising (but not impossible) to have the issue still happening with the horn relay out.

And lastly, if it does resolve down to a fuse box issue, they often can be cleaned if there's corrosion present, or repaired if wiring is damaged.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,696 Posts
I would suggest you check the power and grounds at the ECU.. Do you see a drop during operation of horns?

... Philip

·
Registered
KIA's 2000 Carnival, 2008 Magentis, 2005 Optima
561 Posts
I would also look at the steering column wiring loom for a loose connector and look for possible chafed wires maybe causing what you describe

·
Registered
2013 kia optima 2.0 turbo sxl
1 Posts
I also have this problem . I own a 2013 optima sxl. I have seen a few others experiencing the exact same and all were sxl turbo models ? Not sure the reason , but I believe the car is going in to " limp home mode" which is some sort of safety feature Kia has in case of major engine problems . No clue as to why the horn is making the car believe its having a major issue . I'd love to hear if anyone has found the issue !!

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,364 Posts
I also have this problem . I own a 2013 optima sxl. I have seen a few others experiencing the exact same and all were sxl turbo models ? Not sure the reason , but I believe the car is going in to " limp home mode" which is some sort of safety feature Kia has in case of major engine problems . No clue as to why the horn is making the car believe its having a major issue . I'd love to hear if anyone has found the issue !!
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
481 Posts
Wow, sorry your having such unusual issues. The knock sensor, bolted to the block, is really a microphone. Is it plausible it is picking up the horn beep and misconstruing it for a rod knock? Only way to proof this is with a Taguchi Design of Experiments...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts