Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so instead of making two different threads I thought I would just put the two together. This is my first Kia and over all I really enjoy this car. My first question is about the sunroof, when tilted it barely opens maybe a 1/4 of an inch not really enough to let any sort of air in. Is this normal for this car? Every other function on it works just fine and it makes no noises. Just wondering before I take it into the dealership. My second question is the gas mileage; I am only getting 18mpg in town and about 26hwy. This is a 2013 and it has about 1600 miles on it now. Somewhere I read the more miles the better the gas mileage. Is this true? I only put shell gas in it. What can I do to improve the gas mileage?

Thank you!

·
Registered
NA V, K3
259 Posts
In terms of the mileage, every car's mileage gets better with age (to an extent). The only thing you can do is to drive it.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Your fuel consumption seems a bit low. You'll get very little economy improvement with miles on the clock; maybe 1 or 2 MPG at most.

Our 2.0 auto Cerato (Forte) gets 24 MPG (US gallon) around town and 34 MPG on the highway.
Highway was 100/110 km/h, 2 people on board, 200 Kg luggage, no special economy measures.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
would be helpful for future questions if you could fill out your location and drives profile on the left, makes it so much easier for us as vehicles are not equipped the same worldwide.

I have a Soul and this is how much mine opens. Are you holding the control lever long enough when you push it?

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
151 Posts
Ok so instead of making two different threads I thought I would just put the two together. This is my first Kia and over all I really enjoy this car. My first question is about the sunroof, when tilted it barely opens maybe a 1/4 of an inch not really enough to let any sort of air in. Is this normal for this car? Every other function on it works just fine and it makes no noises. Just wondering before I take it into the dealership. My second question is the gas mileage; I am only getting 18mpg in town and about 26hwy. This is a 2013 and it has about 1600 miles on it now. Somewhere I read the more miles the better the gas mileage. Is this true? I only put shell gas in it. What can I do to improve the gas mileage?
For your first question, yes there is only a quarter inch or so of clearance when the s/r is tilted. However, I noticed there is plenty of room to make the s/r tilt further as the bracket still has lots of clearance. My guess is that this is programmed at the factory and for whatever reason (most likely liability) they tilted it only a bit. If you can ask the dealer to get into the car's programming mode, I'm willing to bet there is a way to increase or change the tilt just as they can change the lock/unlock sequence etc.

As for your second question. Welcome to the The 18MPG club :)
I have about 5K on my sedan and the best I've seen was 22 (only once) and now consistent with 18. After the next servicing I expect a small improvement maybe 1 or 2 but not much else. Interesting how Kia never included the Forte in the MPG rebate campaign and yet I heard / read that someone plugged their forte VIN and was accepted.

You could take the MPG issue up with Kia but from my own experience, the futility in doing so versus the time you will spend for practically gaining nothing is not with it.

Enjoy your new 18-20MPG Forte and don't forget wax your Forte with pride!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just picked up our 2012 last week and with mixed driving we're averaging 30.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone with a 2010 Kia Forte Koup had the shocks and struts replaced?
I find these shocks are shot and only after 55,000 kms does that seem right?
Any service bulletins on this issue?
Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2012 EX 5door. Sunroof tilts about what you said, but if I slightly crack the rear windows the tilted sunroof pulls in a lot more air.

As far as gas mileage, it really depends on how you drive. If I drive aggressively, I get 20-22mpg city. If I drive like a sane person, I get 26-28mpg city. If I drive like a little old lady I get about 30. I have 11k on my car, and the gas mileage steadily improved until about 8k when it started staying the same. As you can see, it really depends on how you drive. I get 38-40 on the highway.

Most cars are like this. My parents have a 2013 Ford C-MAX Hybrid which is rated a 47mpg city and hwy, and with only 300 miles on it they are only getting 30 city. I recommend putting a K&N air filter in to help with gas mileage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts