Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the car this past Monday night, it was obviously cleaned/detailed but after a week with some rain, etc...needed a wash. It's pretty cold here, so I ran through one of those washes that pulls your car through on a track. Got home and parked the car in the sun...looks like a lot of surface type scratching showing up....is this from the wash? Or some kind of defect? Or is this just typical with black paint?

I have never owned a black car now that I think about it...but I'm curious if anyone else has complaints with Kia paint?

Thanks.

If this is a defect - I assume the dealer would handle it with all the various warranties being intact at this point....

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
Thats the bad thing about auto washes,the brushes, even the soft ones, scratch up the paint. The dark colors show it the worst. They may be able to wax/buff it out, but they will most likely want to charge you, as it is not a defect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. I'll probably have them buff it, and then steer clear of those washes. I normally do, but the weather called for it in this instance...never had that problem before, but have generally gone with grey/silver cars in the past.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I've always avoided auto-wash places, and I certainly wouldn't put a new car through one. I'm not sure if there's any truth in the story that paint on a new car is still a bit "soft", but you will certainly notice scratches on a new car more easily, simply because it's new.

I normally just give my cars a hose-down once a month or so, and a wash once every 6 months. Paint looks fine (when you can see it!). Poor washing technique can quickly damage the finish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to report...talked to my salesman this afternoon - he said Kia will wash it and buff it out...takes half a day he said. And they will not charge me for it.

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
151 Posts
Nothing wrong with auto washes as long as you select "touch-less" wash and the use proper wipe down with the appropriate shammy. There is a good chance the dealer may of mucked up the finish as they rush to prep your car for delivery. Never forget to tell the dealer, no free wash on servicing. Garanteed, there is a kid who shall we say is none too pleased soing the same job over and over again. Old / dirty rags could be were used on wipe down, and the streak marks will show in certain lighting conditions. Never dry wipe your car. Also, I've read Kia does not use poly- clear coat, so extra care should be used.

Lastly, black shows everything. My first car was cat black and was a pain to keep it new looking, but when done right it looks wicked! Now I have silver, while its easy clean, it's not my best color but way easier to clean, touch up and wax! The auto body guys warned me, the silver paint is one of the hardest to match, and black one of the easiest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts