Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2013 Forte 5 Door EX - iPod question

Just drove this car home last night...this morning, used an iPod cable from Sharper Image that I bought a few years ago to connect my iPod Classic 160 GB to the port in the car, wouldn't read the cable and kept disconnecting the iPod.

Do I need to get the Kia cable? Or should I try an actual Apple cable first? I was trying the Sharper Image cable because it's retractable, so don't have a cord flopping around getting in the way...but I wish the salesman would have mentioned the Kia cable...I would've asked him to throw one in with the purchase of the car.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I sent a text to my sales guy...he said I only need Kia adapter to play and charge at the same time...but the usb I used to plug in the iPod wouldn't even recognize the iPod.

Wondering if I should just go buy the adapter from a Kia dealer and call it done, or should I test with an Apple USB cord before I do that. I do have one or two Apple cords laying around....

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
This might help:

Assuming you are using a standard iPod, KIA adapter is required. USB by itself will only give you problems. Some smaller varieties of iPod only need an audio cable, but you only get playback with that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. I have an iPod classic. Nothing fancy...I just wanted the huge hard drive to store all my music. So it looks like I'll have to go with the Kia connector. Thanks!

·
Vendor
Kia Soul, Kia Optima, Kia Sorento, Kia Forte, or any Kia!
80 Posts
Kia iPod Cable

Hello bobellis75!

For some reason (more than likely a genius way to force consumers to buy them), both Hyundai and Kia models won't allow iPods to work without the use of the Genuine OEM Kia iPod Cable.

I personally (as in the guy posting this!) remember my brother plugging his iPod into my 2010 Hyundai Elantra. He used his regular cable (not sure what brand), but what it ended up doing was just freaking us out, and obviously not working. But it freaked us out because the radio was on, he plugged it in and it turned my radio off and it said "Reading" or something of that sort. What ended up happening maybe a minute or two later is the radio came back on at the same volume (we didn't turn it down) so it was blaring and we just freaked out a bit. He ended up buying a Hyundai iPod Cable, soooooo... LUCKY ME!

I'm going to assume that'd be the same exact case for Kia models. But hopefully we can help you shoppers out there. I'm sure these two things will make you happy.
1. Free shipping on order $150 or more.
2. Use this coupon code for 10% off your purchase: codekf

Get a hold of us either here or on our website's "Contact Us" form if you ever need some more help!
- Team KiaStuff -

Just drove this car home last night...this morning, used an iPod cable from Sharper Image that I bought a few years ago to connect my iPod Classic 160 GB to the port in the car, wouldn't read the cable and kept disconnecting the iPod.

Do I need to get the Kia cable? Or should I try an actual Apple cable first? I was trying the Sharper Image cable because it's retractable, so don't have a cord flopping around getting in the way...but I wish the salesman would have mentioned the Kia cable...I would've asked him to throw one in with the purchase of the car.

Thanks for any help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts