Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 2013 Kia Rio and I noticed that I had a Small Engine knock at lower speed while I was getting up to 55 MPH. I Have almost 4000 miles on it now and Bought some gas that I believe was bad.

I passed a other car the other day I dropped the Car down into 4th gear and had it doing 80MPH and Now I dont notice as much engine Knock or Rap. I use Amsoil and The Car is almost due for it s First Oil Change, however Amsoil Also makes a Really Good Fuel additive. My question is Kia suggests a fuel additive every 7500 miles, If I use the Amsoil to eliminate engine rap or knock will it void my warranty.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Determine the nature of the "knock" before you waste money on additives. It may not be fuel-related; just normal engine noise/valve rattle etc. and that can be addressed at first service.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX+
31 Posts
I'm also getting enging knock / pinging on my 2012 Rio LX+. It's been frusturating trying to identify the issue. Check the other thread here titled "Enging Knock", you'll see other people have the same problem but cannot find the solution.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
there is a TSB to correct this problem on 2012 and 2013 models, here's the first page:

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
Looks like not all VINs affected... Are you able to post the full TSB?

·
Registered
07 Optima 2.4L
109 Posts
Kia Tech TSB and Service website

Hi..If you, or any others, haven't done so already, it is always a good idea to first check online at the useful Kia Tech website for the latest TSB info and service details for your specific model car and VIN. (www.kiatechinfo.com).

Register first, using Internet Explorer for best results, and be sure to download Adobe SVG player on the links to access the TSB info, as well as the SERVICE info, going to SHOP (expanded parts) and ETM (expanded wiring diagrams) DTC (codes) and COMPONENTS (R and R info). You can easily access and print out everything you need right there.

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 // LX Clear White w/ Pwr Pkg
83 Posts
Im noticing a relatively faint high-pitched chirping echoing off of parked cars or walls when driving under normal conditions. Im wondering if this is considered pinging? How long does it take the dealer to reflash the ECU?

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Looks like not all VINs affected... Are you able to post the full TSB?
wouldn't really help as its all the procedure explained for the technician to perform the work and submit the claim - its not something your do yourself. It applies to all 2012 and 2013 Rio's - but this is US info, but should be the same for Canada if you encounter the problem.

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
I wasnt going to do it myself, just curious if the VIN ranges were posted, thats all. My RIO doesnt have this problem as of right now, thats why I was curious if every single one was affected or just a certain batch.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I wasn't going to do it myself, just curious if the VIN ranges were posted, that's all. My RIO doesn't have this problem as of right now, that's why I was curious if every single one was affected or just a certain batch.
on page 6 of the TSB it states:

Affected vehicle production range:
Model: Rio (UB)
Production Date Range: 2012-2013MY

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone. This is Anton from the Philippines. I read through all the posts in here regarding Rio fuel knock, and I think mine has it. My KIA is a 1.4 EX sedan 2013 model. When accelerating, even in moderate speeds, I hear a metallic clanging sound.

I've told the dealer to check it, and they claim they can't reproduce it. But they've also said that "they've reported it already". They also told me to use 95 Octane or higher fuel. I told them why, when the manual said 91 Octane is okay.

About the TSB ENG131, it says Rio *UB*. Does that mean the hatchback version? Because I have the sedan version, so I don't know if my car is covered.

I tried putting in a tank of 95 Octane fuel, but the sound even became louder. Any suggestions? Should I tell them to check the tensioner, as some of you suggested?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts