Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm about to take delivery of a brand new Canadian 2013 Optima SX and I would like other new 2013 SX owners from Canada to verify that the seats have indeed changed. One of the changes were that the seats were redesigned for added comfort.

One way to verify is that the new front seats only have the white mesh material on the sides of the bottom cushion rather than wrapping all the way around. I was wondering if early production models have this implemented.:)

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,515 Posts
here's a photo of the front seats on a Canadian 2012 SX

·
Premium Member
Spicy Red Optima SX, Mazda6 Wagon
168 Posts
Conwelpic's shot show Canadian 2012 SX seats, which are same as the 2011 US SX seats. Look at similar shots of US 2012 SX to see the visible differences. See the other "Canadian Info" thread to for comments about the improvements in the seats.

The Nexen tires aren't miserable, but I didn't regret giving them away when I put on winter tires at 8K, and others have used them much longer. They're far from the best tires, but I've encountered worse. Let your budget guide you, but I wouldn't take the car off your list just because of the tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, I know the difference in seats. I was just hoping someone with a 2013 Canadian SX would post pics or confirm that the seats are indeed like the 2012 US model not 2011 therefore upgraded. The Canadian thread states upgraded seats but I would like to confirm this.

·
Registered
2004 Honda Accord EX 6-speed
10 Posts
I heard that the seats were supposed to be upgraded for the 2012 model. I didn't realize that they never made it to Canada until now. To any 2012 US owners, how do you find the seats overall? Has anybody been able to compare them to the 2011 to see what the difference really is.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
also keep in mind that the US built Optima's are built for the US market only, Canadian Optima's come from Korea at present.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
I assume that all of 2013 models in Canada have the Nexen Classe Premiere CP tires on them.

these are the tires on a 2013 EX Luxury model that I photographed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back to the seat topic, I've taken delivery of my brand new 2013 Canadian SX and I am confirming that the seats are indeed the same improved seats as on the 2012 US model.

They have the mesh that does not go all the way around on the backrest and cushion and they have horizontal stitch lines. After comparing them to old seats the padding is superior as is the thigh and cornering support. I almost feel sorry for those with 2011 and 2012 models.

·
Premium Member
Spicy Red Optima SX, Mazda6 Wagon
168 Posts
Is the passenger seat higher or have height adjustment? My wife is getting tired of staring at the dash.
The way I did it (from the other Optima forum):

I raised my passenger seat a few months ago. Took less then an hour and about $10 of various nuts, bolts and washers from Home Depot, including all the extras that I didn't use. The result is about 5/8" higher then before, which is quite noticeable.

I used 1/2" nuts as the spacers, with large washers above and below the nuts. The replacement attachment bolts used were 10x1.25mm, 40 and 50mm long (50mm would have worked front and rear). The OEM bolts are 25mm long. I raised the rear by 0.5", the front by 0.64" (the difference was thin washers in back, thick ones in front), since I wanted a bit more rear tilt for the seat bottom. The seat attachment bolts are not quite parallel, so as the seat rails are raised, the bolt heads angle away from each other. I could have elongated the holes in the rails to use thicker 5/8" nuts in front for 0.8" of rise/more tilt, but the tweak was fine without that.

I also used smaller outside diameter (so they fit in the bolt head recess) 10mm flat washers and corresponding split lock washers on the bolts, just like the stock bolts that I removed (washers cannot be removed from the OEM bolts).

Tools required:
Flat head screwdriver to open the plastic covers over the bolts
3/8" drive ratchet with 14mm and 17mm sockets. (The OEM bolts are 14mm hex head, Grade 8; my replacement bolts are 17mm hex head, Grade 8.8.)
A short extension was helpful to raise the ratchet above the open rail covers.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima SX T-GDI, 2011 VW Golf GTI
63 Posts
Hey guys!

Confirmed for Canada, Was looking at the 2013 SX today and they get the new style seats, thicker steering wheel and power folding mirrors

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts