Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of the metal trim on the sx bumper trim rusting? I have seen the screw/washer threads but what I am seeing is the actual trim starting to rust. It is happening on my rear bumper after only 3 months.

Attached is a photo.

Any help thoughts would be appreciated.

Thx

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Looks like some rail dust to me. I may be wrong though.

Just try and use some rubbing compound or a clay bar to take it off. It's not the actual aluminum that's rusting, it's the rail dust that has embedded itself into the trim.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX 3.3 V6 AWD, Snow White Pearl W/Touring Pkg.
73 Posts
Many different Areas on my 2012 SX had developed "rail dust" spotting on it's Snow White Pearl finish. Even the plastic painted bumpers have shown "rail dust" spotting. I have successfully cleaned these areas with Mcguires Cleaner Polish. I had previously been very concerned thinking that the rust spots were coming from beneath the paint coat.Perhaps a corrosion process from within defective sheet metal.When I also found the rust spots on the plastic bumpers it relieved my anxiety. Seeing the rust spots also on my painted plastic bumpers and trim proves to me that this condition is related to metallic road particles.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Many different Areas on my 2012 SX had developed "rail dust" spotting on it's Snow White Pearl finish. Even the plastic painted bumpers have shown "rail dust" spotting. I have successfully cleaned these areas with Mcguires Cleaner Polish. I had previously been very concerned thinking that the rust spots were coming from beneath the paint coat.Perhaps a corrosion process from within defective sheet metal.When I also found the rust spots on the plastic bumpers it relieved my anxiety. Seeing the rust spots also on my painted plastic bumpers and trim proves to me that this condition is related to metallic road particles.
When I first bought my Sorento, I freaked out when I saw all the rail dust on my Pearl White paint. Once I saw it on my PLASTIC bumper, I knew it wasn't serious. A few hours of claybarring later, it looked like new.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX 3.3 V6 AWD, Snow White Pearl W/Touring Pkg.
73 Posts
Thank goodness. I will give it a try! I appreciate the advice.
Be sure to use some extreme caution when cleaning aluminum bumper surfaces,as you surely want to maintain original appearance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts