Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Soul Base, AT, Titanium and 2013 Sorento, 4 cyl, Blue
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...we have a 2013 base Sorento without a backup camera. Does anyone know if you can purchase the factory camera and install it without any other mods? The mirrors are the same (display comes up in mirror not UVO) and I was wondering if all the wiring is already there. I did a forum search but didn't get an answer. Thanks for any guidance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
According to the Kia Tech service info, there are only two components to the backup camera system - the camera and either the mirror or the head unit (radio). You could try removing the tailgate garnish and trim to see if you have the appropriate cabling.

But, even if you were to install the camera, I'm not sure what would tell the system that it's there and enable it's use. I don't know if you'd have to have your vehicle programmed with the backup camera option or if the mirror would auto-detect the presence of the camera and begin working.

For example, my brother-in-law installed seat warmers in his Caliber. The switch communicated correctly with the heated seat module to turn on the heaters via the CAN bus, however, since the car didn't originally come with a heated seat module, the car's system didn't know to listen for messages from the heated seat module, so the LEDs in the seat heater switches never turn on.

You might have something like this in your car. The backup camera is supposed to turn on when the backup lights are on, the vehicle ignition is on and the gear selector is in reverse. I'm assuming that when this happens, a command will be sent to the mirror to turn on the LCD screen, however, since your car didn't come with the backup camera option, the command to turn on the screen is probably never sent. If it were, you'd see the LCD turn on but it would be blank (you'd see the backlight on in the mirror).

Sorry for the long-winded response...

·
Registered
2013 Soul Base, AT, Titanium and 2013 Sorento, 4 cyl, Blue
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply...good info. Anybody else hear of this or try it?

·
Registered
2013 Sorento V6 AWD LX (certified preowned KIA)
34 Posts
Hi all...we have a 2013 base Sorento without a backup camera. Does anyone know if you can purchase the factory camera and install it without any other mods? The mirrors are the same (display comes up in mirror not UVO) and I was wondering if all the wiring is already there. I did a forum search but didn't get an answer. Thanks for any guidance.
r u sure you dont need to change the mirror? i suppose the original on without cam doeesnt have the vid cable?

·
Registered
13 Kia Sorento LX AWD convenience pkg
8 Posts
No. There is not a factory kit to install. The mirror is not the same.

I would recommend an aftermarket system such as one listed here:

Rear View Cameras Review 2013 | Best Backup Cameras | Compare Car Rear Cameras - TopTenREVIEWS

Wireless ones will have an easier installation / less hassle (especially if you would be having it professionally installed).

A local body shop / shop that does electrical work for cars (such as remote starts) should be able to install also and it be worth checking out their inventory

----- Experience ----- Certified Kia Service Writer

·
Registered
2013 Sorento V6 AWD LX (certified preowned KIA)
34 Posts
I see that power supply to the tail lights are very easily accessible once you open the plastic door on the rear gate. For wired one, I suppose need to install a wire from rear gate to dash board ?

Any comments on the battery life/interference/quality of cheap wireless options?

Also wondering about embedding the monitor into the dashboard of a LX without Nav ...

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed a gentex back up camera mirror on mine, the mirror also has the homelink buttons on it too along with a compass. It's a pricey mirror but it's a lot easier looking what's behind you on your mirror compared to looking down at the radio. I purchased the camera from a overseas supplier. My install guy was very impressed with the quality of the camera image. You do have to run the wire to the back of the car, there is no pre installed wiring for the camera. You can get a gentex mirror with camera display with less options on it for cheaper too. I just couldn't live without having homelink buttons on mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts