Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Lotus Elise S1, Kia Rio 3 (2012), Yamaha FZ6
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Had my Rio 3 a week now, and have to say I generally love it. Biggest annoyance, as was the same with my Ceed SW 5 years ago when I bought that, is the audio unit and it's iPhone/iPod connectivity.

This is the UK unit, and as such isn't the one with SatNav or that Microsoft UVO thing or whatever it is that other models use

Pros:
* Bluetooth paring works fine, it auto connects within range, disconnects properly on turning the radio off etc and generally works
* Audio streaming over bluetooth works to an extent (see cons)
* Phone calls work fine as expected
* Using a proper normal Apple dock cable allows full head control, accessing playlists and track names etc, and works with wheel controls

Cons:
* When using Bluetooth audio, it's a little annoying that it only allows "play/pause" control and nothing else. I'm not sure which protocol this is using (A2DP?), but to be able to skip forward and backwards would make it practically ideal
* The address book and call history will not download form the phone, it says failed/retry every time. This means that I can only get incoming call numbers on the unit when someone calls, and naturally I don't have the memory to work out who is who. The Kia bluetooth guide says my phone/car are fully compatible and this should work, it just doesn't.
* Unlike even the most basic headset, there is no way to issue a voice command from the steering wheel, so pressing and holding to get voice control up means reaching for the phone, which is naturally in the little groove, and to far away to pick up my voice anyway, so I have to pick it up.

Weirdos:
* Music volume over bluetooth is low. Maxing the stereo is acceptable, until you then switch back to radio and deafen yourself
* The proper Kia iPod cable (I have the one from my Ceed, which was useless for that also) just makes it sit there saying "AUX" on the head unit. I don't mind, the cable is unwieldy and annoying.
* Holding the home button in order to use Voice Control on the iPhone makes the audio unit light up and tell you that it's making a call, and shows my own phone number on the screen. It doesn't actually make a call, but it shows this message every time, regardless of whether I hold it to say "Play Album X" or "Call Mom". These numbers then fill up my call history as actual calls, meaning that that feature becomes practically useless as it is just full of my own number constantly repeated.

So, anyway, overall it's a good little system, but I really would like to fix the following 3 issues, or at least understand them:

1) Has anyone got an iPhone (latest 5.1 OS) to download their address book to the head unit over bluetooth? If so, were there any issues?

2) Does anyone know why, or have a way to stop, the head unit from tricking you into thinking it's calling itself when you hold down the home button for voice control? This is particularly annoying due to the lack of controls when using Bluetooth anyway (Why not just use AVRPC?) which force you to use the phone for controls.

3) Can I activate the voice control function like you do with a cheap bluetooth headset in any way, so I don't have to reach down, pick up, and then use the phone directly?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you get any of the other issues? Also, are you using local contacts on your phone, or perhaps it's down to what account you are using, i.e. iCloud/exchange etc?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. Other than the address book working, I'd be interested to know if the other issues (particularly the voice control phantom phone dialling) is also an issue for you guys? I'll likely backup the phone, before trying it in a showroom model, and if that fails then restoring it to defaults and trying again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine does that "self calling" when using siri but it does not store it on my call history.
For clarification, the history is held on the car audio unit, not the phone, meaning you can't use the recent calls if you have recently used voice control.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts