Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX-V6 FWD, Nissan Quest 1996, Hyundai Elantra 2000
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came home from short drive to the mall and such.
When I parked at home I saw TPMS was flashing. Checked all tires and 3 of them show 38 PSI and one is 36 PSI. So tire is not a problem I suppose.

I am freaked as I will be traveling for 250 Miles tomorrow.

Any ideas what's going on. No dealer can help as this is the week-end and I am more concern about my travel tomorrow.

Any help is appreciated.

My next plan is to start the car after about couple of hours and see if the TPMS flashes and also check the tire pressure when it would be cold. This is about 100 degree F and I am not sure if that caused TPMS malfunction.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Your tires are over inflated. Bring them all down to a cold tire pressure of 32-34psi and the light will go off. I've got mine inflated to 34psi.

Best,

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your tires are over inflated. Bring them all down to a cold tire pressure of 32-34psi and the light will go off. I've got mine inflated to 34psi.

Best,
Thanks.

I will try that and see how it goes.

I never knew over inflation can cause this. Hope there is nothing else..

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Best,
Just checked, the light is not flashing now.

I will let it cool for some more before I deflate to 32-34

The scorching heat may be the reason.. Hope that is what it is..

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
Slightly overinflated will not cause the light to come on. If the light is flashing it means there is a fault in the system, most likely a sensor was not transmitting. A sensor could be going bad. Another possibility, although unlikely, is that there was some RF interference. If the light went out, the fault is no longer present, but there should still be codes stored.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
The light will come on if the tire pressure is above or below the configured pressure by about 20%. I doubt it's a system fault. 38psi is way over inflated.

Best,

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The light will come on if the tire pressure is above or below the configured pressure by about 20%. I doubt it's a system fault. 38psi is way over inflated.

Best,
There is no high threshold. I've seen people drive for months with 45-50 psi and the light has never come on.

And even if there was a high threshold, 38psi is less than 20% over, so the light wouldn't be on anyway. And if it did come on because of pressure, it would just come on solid, not flash when he started the car. Flashing indicates a fault.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Slightly overinflated will not cause the light to come on. If the light is flashing it means there is a fault in the system, most likely a sensor was not transmitting. A sensor could be going bad. Another possibility, although unlikely, is that there was some RF interference. If the light went out, the fault is no longer present, but there should still be codes stored.
If I was not traveling, I would have taken it to dealer to check it out.
Now I think I will reduce the pressure and hope that it does not cause any issue for my travel.

Though I have not read if high pressure will set off the light, but I may have to agree with Sauron based on the following

1. It never happened before when I used to keep the pressure in check
2. Last week I had visited the dealer for oil change and had asked him for the upcoming trip check. As part of that they inflated the tires.
3. Today when I went shopping, the car was parked under the sun and was driven back when the temperature was 107 degree. This is when it started blinking (after coming home)
4. No tire was low pressure
5. The light went off when I checked after about 3 hours (when air inside cooled down).

I have yet to release the air to bring it to 32-34 level.

Fingers crossed..

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is no high threshold. I've seen people drive for months with 45-50 psi and the light has never come on.

And even if there was a high threshold, 38psi is less than 20% over, so the light wouldn't be on anyway. And if it did come on because of pressure, it would just come on solid, not flash when he started the car. Flashing indicates a fault.
Just one piece of information. It was not flash when I started the car, but when I came home and put the car in the park (or may be just few seconds before), that is when I noticed it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I was not traveling, I would have taken it to dealer to check it out.
Now I think I will reduce the pressure and hope that it does not cause any issue for my travel.

Though I have not read if high pressure will set off the light, but I may have to agree with Sauron based on the following

1. It never happened before when I used to keep the pressure in check
2. Last week I had visited the dealer for oil change and had asked him for the upcoming trip check. As part of that they inflated the tires.
3. Today when I went shopping, the car was parked under the sun and was driven back when the temperature was 107 degree. This is when it started blinking (after coming home)
4. No tire was low pressure
5. The light went off when I checked after about 3 hours (when air inside cooled down).

I have yet to release the air to bring it to 32-34 level.

Fingers crossed..
Just now I checked the (cold) pressure. It showed 35.5 in 3 tires and 34.5 in one.
I have brought them all to 33.
Hopefully I have incident free journey tomorrow..

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Shhh...that contradicts Mista Squarepants who says high pressure doesn't affect the sensors. :)

You gotta love the interwebz. :)

Glad you got it sorted out.

Best,
SHHH...I found three links, from Kia and Hyundai, that describe system operation, faults, warning lamps, etc, and none of them mention high pressure. That, coupled with the fact that I work on them EVERYDAY, should be enough artillery to sink your ship.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/daydrea...RE MONITORING SYSTEM) GENERAL INFORMATION.pdf

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...glCuIzuPjyCPu2-yg&sig2=rqwT9nJ0uhHGGxXJ_NFKTg

http://kia-hotline.com/pds/TSB/Microsoft PowerPoint - ED TPMS_OTC.pdf

:)

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
SHHH...I found three links, from Kia and Hyundai, that describe system operation, faults, warning lamps, etc, and none of them mention high pressure. That, coupled with the fact that I work on them EVERYDAY, should be enough artillery to sink your ship.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/daydrea...RE MONITORING SYSTEM) GENERAL INFORMATION.pdf

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...glCuIzuPjyCPu2-yg&sig2=rqwT9nJ0uhHGGxXJ_NFKTg

http://kia-hotline.com/pds/TSB/Microsoft PowerPoint - ED TPMS_OTC.pdf

:)
Riiight....I thought "you were out?" To the original poster...did the light go off once you corrected the tire pressure?

LOL

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Riiight....I thought "you were out?" To the original poster...did the light go off once you corrected the tire pressure?

LOL
Ok Folks..

Latest update..

Just arrived traveling 250 miles (one way). My travel was incident free. I did not see the TPMS light come on (except for the bulb check at start up) even once after I had lowered the pressure to 33 in all tires..

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Ok Folks..

Latest update..

Just arrived traveling 250 miles (one way). My travel was incident free. I did not see the TPMS light come on (except for the bulb check at start up) even once after I had lowered the pressure to 33 in all tires..
Imagine that. :)

Best,

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX V6 AWD w/Sunroof, RIDES a 2012 Suzuki GSXR 600
189 Posts

Best,
I set mine at 36 on purpose. I checked the pressure friday after letting it sit for a few hours as I had just taken the Sorento in for an oil change and the dealer tends to lower tire pressure if they find it to high. 3 were at 37 and one was at 38 no doubt due to the hot weather. Then did an almost 300 km drive. Havent/didnt have one problem.

Higher pressure will not set the light off.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts