Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX-V6 FWD, Nissan Quest 1996, Hyundai Elantra 2000
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering as to what is involved in installing the tow hitch on 2012 SX.
As you can guess, I did not get it with my car, but am feeling a need for now.

Is it that we should get it installed from dealer only or there any other after market options that are at par if not better..

Appreciate your response..

·
Registered
2011 Optima EX 2.4L (A/T), 2011 Sorento EX 3.5L (A/T) AWD
104 Posts
Here's my post from a previous hitch install thread...

I finally installed the Curt 13073 receiver and it does fit and doesn't require any drilling into the frame because the frame has all the holes drilled; two on the bottom side and one through the side of the frame. It was a real SOB to get all the bolts in place due to where Curt had drilled the mounting holes, a bit more play would have made the install so much easier. The trick that worked for me was to install the bolt through the side of the frame (don't tighten) first, then the bottom bolt furthest from the side bolt (tighten about 1/2 way) and finally the last bottom bolt. I'm glad to report it doesn't interfere with the exhaust though the spare tire doesn't raise back up tight against the bottom of the car the way is did previously because the tire hits the receiver tube. It's not bad and I didn't hear any noises from it rubbing during a test drive, just don't crank it too tight. The Curt 56024 wire harness plugged into the two connectors under the car as expected (I have the V6 EX).

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX GDI AWD Bright Silver, 2012 Rio LX+ GDI Clear White
63 Posts
Curt all the way. It is less obvious than other brands, especially hate those with a frame below the exhaust tips.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curt all the way. It is less obvious than other brands, especially hate those with a frame below the exhaust tips.
Thank you both of you...

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6, '03 GSX-R600, '00 Nissan Maxima SE
150 Posts
Does the SX have dual exhaust? If so, then the Curt hitch wont work. I'm getting one eventually for my 2013 LX and have been watching the install video on eTrailer.com and found the notes about how it wont fit dual exhaust. It's too bad, I like the way the exhaust looks but I wont get it if gets in the way of the hitch. This will be my third purchase from eTrailer, it's a really great company with a lot of expertise, especially if you get stuck on installation.:D

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento SX
14 Posts
No, the SX V6 has single exhaust, so the install is exactly as the video indicates. I just put the Curt hitch on my 2013 SX AWD last weekend. The only thing that was tricky at all was getting the correct angle to push the right side of the hitch in over the exhaust. I wasn't able to do it easily with the car on the ground, but once I rolled the rear wheels up on a couple of ramps, it was a piece of cake. It looks MUCH nicer than the OEM hitch.

Incidentally, the ramps I used changed the lift angle on the spare tire cable in a good way, and with a helper cranking it up while I guided it from underneath, I was able to get it into a better position than I could have if the car were level.

·
Registered
150 Posts
No, the SX V6 has single exhaust, so the install is exactly as the video indicates. I just put the Curt hitch on my 2013 SX AWD last weekend. The only thing that was tricky at all was getting the correct angle to push the right side of the hitch in over the exhaust. I wasn't able to do it easily with the car on the ground, but once I rolled the rear wheels up on a couple of ramps, it was a piece of cake. It looks MUCH nicer than the OEM hitch.

Incidentally, the ramps I used changed the lift angle on the spare tire cable in a good way, and with a helper cranking it up while I guided it from underneath, I was able to get it into a better position than I could have if the car were level.
Thanks for the info, very useful. I was wondering about the spare tire and how I would need to wedge it back in once the hitch was installed. How much of the exhaust shielding did you actually have to cut? It looks like you don't have to cut that much as they did in the video, and I would hate for Kia to say a voided the warranty by cutting it, not that they would, but you never know.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks for the info.

But I don't think I follow. What is this "ramps" you are talking about?
Also does this cause any issue for the spare to come in and out?

·
Registered
150 Posts
The ramps he is talking about are the ones used to gain access to underneath a vehicle. I use them to change my oil in my Maxima.

Heavy Duty Automotive Car Ramps

The only thing with the spare tire is that it will be a tighter fit. It won't hinder access. Check out the reviews of the Curt hitch on eTrailer.com.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The ramps he is talking about are the ones used to gain access to underneath a vehicle. I use them to change my oil in my Maxima.

Heavy Duty Automotive Car Ramps

The only thing with the spare tire is that it will be a tighter fit. It won't hinder access. Check out the reviews of the Curt hitch on eTrailer.com.
Thank you. You made it crystal clear by the link..

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento SX
14 Posts
I didn't measure the number of inches of heat shield that I cut off, but I did match what these instructions indicated (visually):
http://www.thehitchstore.com/images/documents/CM-13073-INS.pdf

The cut was longer than necessary by perhaps 3-4 inches and just right on width, but I'm not the least bit concerned about the extra space the excess cut opened up.

I also wouldn't worry too much about any kind of warranty impact on this. The shielding is mainly in place to protect the sheet metal above the muffler, and there's no material removed from that area in the installation. The cut only impacts the area of the frame that the hitch connects onto (to the side of the muffler), and radiant heat shouldn't hurt the frame or the hitch in any way. I'm sure Kia's stock hitch has to be installed with a similar heat shield cut.

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts
I have been...

I have been thinking about installing a hitch myself. I have the 2013 Sorento and when I looked underneath the vehicle, I noted that the heat shield is different from the previous notes on here. It looks like they applied the heat shield directly to the underbody of the vehicle instead of wrapping it around the muffler. This should make the installation a bit easier. I am still trying to decide which hitch to purchase, but I am leaning toward the Curt hitch.

I didn't measure the number of inches of heat shield that I cut off, but I did match what these instructions indicated (visually):

The cut was longer than necessary by perhaps 3-4 inches and just right on width, but I'm not the least bit concerned about the extra space the excess cut opened up.

I also wouldn't worry too much about any kind of warranty impact on this. The shielding is mainly in place to protect the sheet metal above the muffler, and there's no material removed from that area in the installation. The cut only impacts the area of the frame that the hitch connects onto (to the side of the muffler), and radiant heat shouldn't hurt the frame or the hitch in any way. I'm sure Kia's stock hitch has to be installed with a similar heat shield cut.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Ok, sounds good. I'll probably not cut it as long then. Oh yeah, did you have any issues getting the spare tire back into place? I noticed on a review that one guy had a little trouble getting it back in.

·
Registered
2013 Silver Sorento EX V6AWD, 2007 Toyota Highlander V6LtdAWD, 2004 Toyota 4-Runner V6Ltd2x4
80 Posts
Hey,

Thank you for the tips about the 2" Curt Hitch 13073...the OEM hitch bothered me so much I went down to a local shop and we took the OEM hitch off and put the Curt on....very easy to do and much better looking, loosened the spare a bit moved it a 1/2 inch forward and tightened it back up...took a bit more heat shield off than we need to, but to your point there's not much above it...kept the 4 pin OEM wiring so good to go...thanks again...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts