Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Dark Cherry Sorento SX-V6 FWD
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 SX with the driver's ventilated seat. My question is about its function. When you have it turned on, what part of the seat is cooled? Just the bottom seat or should the back be cooled as well?

I test drove an Infinity FX model with cooled seat and you could tell that the whole seat was cooled as I had expected, however with the Sorento seat cooling on max I have a hard time feeling it like in the Infinity (no jacket on, just jeans and a polo shirt mostly).

I understand the obvious that I did not purchase an Infinity quality vehicle, but honestly, how SHOULD my cooled seat be functioning?

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,415 Posts
Just the bottom is cooled. If it is quiet, and you turn it on, you can actually hear the fans humming. I've used the cooled seats on test drives and they seem like they work pretty good. They are only supposed to prevent swampa$$, not freeze your cheeks off.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra,2008 Impala LT
98 Posts
Takes about 5 minutes before I can feel any effect on the black leather in our SX.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

OK, I guess Kia took the cheap implementation, but I can agree that I do feel it on the seat cushion itself after a few minutes.

It was just that after experiencing the Infinity first, that blows cooled air on your back too, that it seemed a little weak in the Sorento.

You explanation makes sense though.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
788 Posts
I thought the back was cooled as well...I thought I could feel it. Maybe it was all in my head. The air from the cooling comes through the perforated leather and that is part of the center bottom and center of the backrest.

I'm going to have to check again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had the same exact question! There are times when I could swear I feel the back of the seat being cooled, just not the bottom cushion. Can't find documentation anywhere. It looks like there is yellow tubing running to the back, but I guest that is just for the lumbar?

Thanks...

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX AWD (Titanium Silver); 2013 MINI Cooper S Hardtop, 6-sp. manual (Eclipse Gray)
124 Posts
The first time I turned mine on I got the strange sensation that someone had poured water on the seat! It took me awhile to get used to it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The back of the seat is definitely not cooled in mine. They heat the whole seat but when they went to implement the cool functionality, apparently it was too expensive to add the tubing to the seat back.

Its a shame they left it half implemented, but c'est la vie.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX AWD
54 Posts
i came looking for this thread. i just had my seat bottom replaced because it was moving while i was driving. i could not remember if the air came from both the bottom and the back. here is a quote directly from the kia tech info site for a 2013 sorento: "... and supplies the air into the seat cushion and the seat back through the duct." i only feel air through the seat bottom right now. i am thinking something did not get connected properly when they connected the new seat bottom to the old seat back. fyi i am quoting from the seat air ventilation section under Body Electrical System.

i am hoping someone figures out a way to amp up the blowing power of the fan. i took a thin napkin and unfolded it. i turned the ventilated seat on and placed the napkin on the seat bottom. the napkin wasn't moving/fluttering at all. when i put my face against the seat, i can feel the air though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts