Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sportage LX AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that on my 2012 (base model AWD) the brakes tend to stick from time to time as in not releasing when the pedal is let go. Usually if it's been parked for a few hours. I took it in to the dealership and was told it was due to them being 'corroded' and was charged the $150 for the brake servicing. After all that it still happens so I called in and spoke to the service manager and was told it was due to moisture and that applying the brakes a few times resolves it and that it was inherent in all KIAs.

My wife's 2013 Rio doesn't do anything like it. Have any of you ever experienced this?

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
Never had a problem with my 2011 sportage and I live in Maine and there is plenty of moisture here. Is it just the brake pedal or is it the actual brakes causing the brake pedal to remain depressed? Anyways if you paid for the reason you state to be fixed and its still happening, I would tell them to fix it again as they didnt do a good job at fixing the problem.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,951 Posts
You paid for servicing?????????????

·
Registered
554 Posts
Whoa, braking continues without pressing the brake-pedal?

I have absolutely no idea what could cause that. Even old brakes are highly resistant against corrosion, since rust is easily expected there.

Anything that interferes with your controlling input is a safety issue. Brakes locking when you try to drive forward, that could cause a collision. People occasionally post similar threads; even a small control issue means you can't be in control.

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
I would have figured the problem would be fixed for free and argued its should be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. I agree with twin scroll, brakes have to be designed high resistance against corrosion as a safety issue. Just my opinion, but I think the dealer pulled on over you to make you pay more... Try another dealer and see what they think.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
I recently had the right rear brake stick on me overnight after leaving the emergency brake on, because I live on a slight upgrade. I heard it immediately, and stepped a bit faster, & harder on the pedal, then it released right away. I figured this might happen with moisture build up from the warm evening before, & the cold morning, no big deal.

Any car that sits for a few days usually has the brake rotors start to rust, and will make some rubbing noise usually for only a few blocks, then friction will automatically clean them. My old 98' Neon was notorious for this when cold, but fine once warmed up.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage LX AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What happens is after the pedal is let go the brakes remain engaged for about 1-2 seconds or until I accelerate and you can feel them let go. It happens all the time after its been sitting for as little as a few hrs. As for other dealers there are none in my town so i'm stuck with them. I tried contacting Kia Canada but heard nothing back. So far I'm not overly impressed with the service after the sale.

·
Registered
993 Posts
To me it sounds like corrosion in the caliper pistons from moisture-contaminated brake fluid. Or a problem in the master cylinder. Look under the hood at the brake fluid reservoir to see if the fluid is dark, which would indicate the need for replacement. Also, grab the cap and see if you can tighten it with moderate effort - just see if it is loose, don't try to twist it off. In any event, if the calipers are sticking after the brake pedal returns to the top of it's travel, it sure seems to indicate bad calipers.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage LX AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After about a month and a letter to Kia Canada the dealership took a second look at my Sportage. Turns out the sensor for the hill assist system was faulty and was thinking I was always on a hill. they are ordering the part and will replace it once it arrives.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Wow - didn't see that coming. I'm still living in the past with auto science. They could can that 'Hill assist' deal for my money. Not needed for 99% of owners, thereby a useless complication/troublemaker.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts