Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please be patient with me. I know there are 500 million trillion questions about the navigation, but I searched and could not find this specific question.

Ok, ordered upgrade for my 2012 Sportage. The USB came for 2011, but I digress.

I am reading the instructions. When I get to Step 8, it says "this process will take approx. 60 minutes". Does this mean I have to run the car idling for 60 minutes? When I have it on "accessories" (if you will), I will get a message talking about battery being used up.

So, how can I do this 60 min update without running the car?

Thanks in advance. I know there are many threads about the boring suject of Navigation, but this is a very valid question (for me) lol

Cissy B
San Jose, CA

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
Please be patient with me. I know there are 500 million trillion questions about the navigation, but I searched and could not find this specific question.

Ok, ordered upgrade for my 2012 Sportage. The USB came for 2011, but I digress.

I am reading the instructions. When I get to Step 8, it says "this process will take approx. 60 minutes". Does this mean I have to run the car idling for 60 minutes? When I have it on "accessories" (if you will), I will get a message talking about battery being used up.

So, how can I do this 60 min update without running the car?

Thanks in advance. I know there are many threads about the boring suject of Navigation, but this is a very valid question (for me) lol

Cissy B
San Jose, CA
I asked this exact question in the map upgrade thread.

Leave the engine running when running the upgrade.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked this exact question in the map upgrade thread.

Leave the engine running when running the upgrade.
Wow, that can consume some expensive gas. Has anyone done this using accessories mode instead?

Thanks, Bluntman!

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Can afford a new car, but can't afford the .25 gallons of gas that might possibly be burned in the 30 minutes (or so) it takes to do the update?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can afford a new car, but can't afford the .25 gallons of gas that might possibly be burned in the 30 minutes (or so) it takes to do the update?
Yep, that's right:eek: It takes 60 minutes, not 30. There's always someone who needs to throw in remarks that are not helpful, but I understand :eek:

·
Registered
2011 TechnoOrange Sx, 2008 Toyota Solara SLE, 1946 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan
66 Posts
You don't have to run the engine. Connect a battery charger and do the update with the ignition in the accessory position.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You don't have to run the engine. Connect a battery charger and do the update with the ignition in the accessory position.
Thanks, Edanan! I'll probably end up doing it that way. Much appreciated!;)

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Yep, that's right:eek: It takes 60 minutes, not 30. There's always someone who needs to throw in remarks that are not helpful, but I understand :eek:
I actually updated my nav unit, didn't take 60 minutes (although that is what I was expecting). Either way, it won't burn that much gas, I wouldn't sweat it.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually updated my nav unit, didn't take 60 minutes (although that is what I was expecting). Either way, it won't burn that much gas, I wouldn't sweat it.
Thanks, ILLJ! ?

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
43 Posts
Did the upgrade last month. Very simple to just hook up a battery charger and set it to slow charge and leave the accessories on. The update only takes about 30-45 minutes...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts