Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving down the freeway in Los Angeles during rush hour yesterday my 2012 6-speed manual Kia Soul with less than 10k miles on it stopped accelerating. I barely got it over to the side of the road and noticed a distinctive smell. Two tow trucks later it was at the nearest dealer who told me it was the clutch. They wouldn't be able to say what caused the issue until they did some disassembly and there would be a 3 day wait for a verdict because of the holiday. A mechanic did tell me it was an expensive repair because the transmission has to come out. Are there other reports of manufacturing defects in the clutch assembly of 2012's? I've had a number of manual transmission cars and have never gotten less than 40,000 miles out of a clutch. If the dealer attempts to blame driver error is this worth contesting? I have no interest in paying for an expensive repair and then contiuing to drive a car which seems flimsy in this regard.

·
Registered
Mineral Silver 2015 Kia Sportage SX-TURBO!
74 Posts
It should certainly be under Warranty. It shouldn't cost you a thing, If you paid for the Tow Truck, you should get reimbursed by the Dealer. Let us know what you find out from the Dealer. Thanks!

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
In over 2 years working for Kia, I have NOT seen a clutch fail on ANY Kia with under 60,000 miles on them.

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,971 Posts
i would think it would be a problem with the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder and as Cobra259 mentioned i have not heard of any clutch failures in any of the forums.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked my 2012 soul up this evening. With just over 16,000 miles on it, last Sunday it would not go into gear. Had it towed to the dealership. I am not happy. Of course they blamed it on how it was being driven. Hogwash! They don't make them like they used to. My two brother & I all learned to drive on an 81 Chevy Citation and it still had the original clutch with over 200k miles when the frame rusted out beyond repair.

I will keep checking on here because if it goes again in a short amount of time & there continue to be postings of problems here - they can pay for it or I will get a lawyer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts