Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
‘06 Sportage LX MT, ‘12 Soul
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 2012 Soul +. Does this have timing belt or chain. I'm looking through the manual, and I cannot find any mention of servicing interval for timing belt. Google hasn't helped, but I did see one page (I cannot find now but was in my notes here) that for the 2.0 liter Soul the "beta" engine has a belt while the "nu" engine has a chain. Looking in there, I do not see a timing belt cover which most cars have. I just see the accessory belt. The sticker on the passenger side says "G4NACH006469 A12T" which I'm interpreting as an engine model specification. If there's something else I need to look at, let me know.

Can someone clarify and confirm that this is a timing chain car and engine?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Funny how all weekend searching on my phone I didn't get good results. Come into the office on a desktop, I find what appears to be a decent answer on a sister forum:
https://www.kiasoulforums.com/threads/belt-or-chain.11333/
Judging by our VIN, the 8th digit is 6, which indicates Nu engine and means chain.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,889 Posts
Have 2012 Soul +. Does this have timing belt or chain. I'm looking through the manual, and I cannot find any mention of servicing interval for timing belt. Google hasn't helped, but I did see one page (I cannot find now but was in my notes here) that for the 2.0 liter Soul the "beta" engine has a belt while the "nu" engine has a chain. Looking in there, I do not see a timing belt cover which most cars have. I just see the accessory belt. The sticker on the passenger side says "G4NACH006469 A12T" which I'm interpreting as an engine model specification. If there's something else I need to look at, let me know.

Can someone clarify and confirm that this is a timing chain car and engine?
That is the confirmation that you do not have a belt.

From around 2010 all models switched from belt, which was an industry trend at the time.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,526 Posts
the 2.0L engine became a chain with the 2012 model. The 1.6L was a chain from the start in 2010 with the Soul.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate your replies. Regarding the manual, ron1004, just because I couldn't find it, doesn't mean it isn't there. The further confirmation by people here helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts