Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a nice clean higher mileage 2012 Sorrento EX AWD 4 Cylinder w 143K on the clock for the ol lady.
Found some items inside from the previous owner that they might like to have, so used that opportunity to ask a little about the previous history. It was a one owner that the guy changed the oil himself regularly w synthetic around every 4-5K miles or so.
Little wear and tear on it, so it appears much of the mileage is HWY.
I checked the oil right after buying and it was appx. 1 Qt low. Took to dealer for recall & they changed oil w standard 5W30.
Took it on a trip for Christmas & was really surprised that in under 1700 miles it burned at least 3 quarts of oil.
Is this common for this vehicle, engine? FYI, the fuel mileage stinks w this 4 banger. Appx. 13 MPG City (Not really true city driving) & appx. 22 MPG Hwy maxing it out at 78 mph. My old 03' Outback 4cyl w 237K gets at least 16-27 MPG.
Any way to improve mileage & oil consumption? Can I go with a heavier weight synthetic & an oil stabilizer (eg. Lucas?)
Thx for any help in advance

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok hopefully this helps. I just went through simliar on my 2011 Sorento @ 125k. Pre service 18 to 19 mixed driving topped out at 21hwy over 200mile trip. Here's what I did. Changed Spark plugs +2 mpg
Changed Coil packs +1 mpg
Changed differential fluid NO change
Changed my trans fluid gained +.5 mpg(but not really)
Changed my FUEL INJECTORS + 2 MPG
I monitored my fuel and over the last month I went form 18-19 mpg on avg with careful driving to 22-24 avg mpg with my old habit of driving.
Also I used Valvoline 5w20syn over this time and I noticed while I got good gas mileage I burned a quart of oil.....maybe due to the lack of service but my engine ticked like crazy in the cold mornings unlike the 5w30syn I had in it. So I'm going back to 5w30syn at the next oil change and see if I keep the same gas mileage. Hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok hopefully this helps. I just went through simliar on my 2011 Sorento @ 125k. Pre service 18 to 19 mixed driving topped out at 21hwy over 200mile trip. Here's what I did. Changed Spark plugs +2 mpg
Changed Coil packs +1 mpg
Changed differential fluid NO change
Changed my trans fluid gained +.5 mpg(but not really)
Changed my FUEL INJECTORS + 2 MPG
I monitored my fuel and over the last month I went form 18-19 mpg on avg with careful driving to 22-24 avg mpg with my old habit of driving.
Also I used Valvoline 5w20syn over this time and I noticed while I got good gas mileage I burned a quart of oil.....maybe due to the lack of service but my engine ticked like crazy in the cold mornings unlike the 5w30syn I had in it. So I'm going back to 5w30syn at the next oil change and see if I keep the same gas mileage. Hope this helps
Also look up any TSB as I heard and read you migh need to forgo all of this and maybe get a engine replacement.

·
Registered
Silver 2012 Kia Sorento FWD Base with 2.4L
105 Posts
Here's a long thread on this. 2012 2.4L Sorento Excessive Oil Consumption
Dirty air filter can affect MPG some. I use good quality ones so I swap them out every 6 months. When I notice a decline in some MPG, I put in a new one. Works good. Not the case for everyone though. Tires are properly inflated, rotated and are balanced along with alignment. I run Pennzoil 5W-20 high mileage full synth every 5,000 miles as well. I was using Mobile 1 before that and now Pennzoil is my go to along with Chevron complete fuel system cleaner that Kia recommends. I notice maybe at least half a quart to 1 quart gone by the end of 5,000 miles. I contribute that to wear and tear since engine is originally rated for conventional at every 3,000 miles. Swapped my spark plugs at 100,000, swapped tranny fluid at 86,000 and running good so far at nearly 143,000 miles. Plus, I've only gone to the dealership 3 times for recall work in the cars' lifetime. Plus, I make an effort to go to a gas station that sell good gas, not the crappy ones. Yes, I do the work myself along with my trusted mechanic helping and doing the harder work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts