Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Both my wife and I have experienced a very scary glitch with our 2012 Sorento and I was hoping some of you might be able to shed some light on it. Since we bought the car last April it has 3 times spontaneously shut down (i.e. engine off, instrument panel off, power steering off, navigation display off) while on the freeway and highway. The 2 times it happened to me, I had to shift into park to start again. I was lucky, as it happened I was reducing speed coming up to a rural stoplight on a busy highway. But my wife had the poor luck of this happening to her while traveling at speed on the freeway. She had taken her foot off the gas (as I had) and the car simply powered off.

Now, this is especially hard to sit with since our little girl was born in January. I can't have them driving around in a car that could just power off while they're doing 65 on the freeway, so I really, really want this problem resolved. My fear is that when we take it to the dealer they'll give it the old college try, run diagnostics, update the software, and after finding nothing wrong just assume it must be user error. I hope that wont be the case. If it is, I probably wont be keeping the car, for obvious reasons.

Any input is greatly appreciated, assuming it's cordial : )

Mike in San Diego

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX 2.4 GDI
171 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX, 2012 Sportage SX, 1989 Taurus SHO
289 Posts
This sounds like the same problem my youngest brother experienced with his ride a long time ago. He was driving a Ford Explorer and the culprit was the mass air flow sensor.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies! We will be dropping the car at the dealer today. I'll post my experiences for those interested.

·
Registered
06 Sorento (love it), 03 Dodge 1500, 46 CJ2A military jeep (all orginal)
5 Posts
I think it could be a faulty Crankshaft Position sensor or Camshaft Position sensor? Just my opinion?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 Sorento

I have a 2013 Kia Sorento and it did the same thing to me this morning. It randomly shut off when I slowed down to switch lanes in traffic. I had to shut the car completely off for a min or 2 and it started back up. It scared me as I have a 21 month old child and I don't want this to happen when he is with me. I hope this isn't the beginning to a significant problem, hope its an easy fix.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
Please update profiles with model and location.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish I had better news in my update. I took the car to the dealership and after speaking with the service rep it seemed that the problem has been seen on other Sorentos they serviced and the fix was usually replacing the electronic throttle body. I felt better, since others had the same problem remedied. Unfortunately, they called later to say that the diagnostic found no error codes and that they would do a "ground reset" to try and fix the problem. I asked if this was absolute fix and he replied that there was no way to be sure it would never happen again; hardly reassuring.

So, I contacted the dealer where we bought the car (a little further away than the dealer where the car is being serviced) and spoke with the sales manager to tell him my story. He spoke with his service dept and they told him the same thing; that barring any error codes, all they can do is clean up the grounds and make sure all the connections are good. He then gave me the number to Kia's call center, where I spoke with a rep who will supposedly have their "engineers" contact the service dept where our car is now. No fix pending.

To add insult to injury, I just had a terrible experience with a service rep named Kelly who had called to remind me (again) that the car is ready for pick up. I had to remind her that I am not currently satisfied with the repair so I have taken the issue to the manufacturer who will be contacting them. It was apparent that she was annoyed and her tone became condescending and totally unprofessional. I don't think I've actually had someone in "customer service" be so insulting. Now this whole mess has taken on a new bitter tone.

Not pleased.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
I just had a terrible experience with a service rep named Kelly
When you've gathered your thoughts, call the general manager at that dealership. Tell them how Kelly spoke to you. Don't get into any details about your car except that you are waiting for a response from Kia headquarters in Irvine. Decide what you want from the general manager--just to explain your feelings, or some sort of compensation, or a consideration of him speaking to Kelly, or what.

Look up the Lemon Law details for your home state. Start the Lemon Law claim. That gets everyone's attention. It is OK to mention this to the general manager and to Kia's tech rep. Don't waste your breath telling this to Kelly, and don't bother talking to her again except if she calls to apologize. If you get Kelly on the phone for any other reason, ask to be transferred to the service manager and conduct your business through him or another service writer.
I asked if this was absolute fix and he replied that there was no way to be sure it would never happen again; hardly reassuring.
What is considered a reasonable number of repair attempts will depend on the circumstances including the seriousness of the defect. For example, one or two repair attempts may be considered reasonable for serious safety defects such as brake failure, depending on the exact situation.http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon

I'd consider this a serious safety defect. Proceed with the Lemon Law process. If it shuts down one more time, demand a buy-back if you are within the 18 months or 18,000 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 Kia Sorento

I have had a similar experience driving in my Kia turning off suddenly on the freeway. I've had the motherboard replaced and still have the same problem. last night, it happened at night and I had all three kids in the car with with on the 101 freeway. The lights turned off, everything shut down. Yes, i put it in park and then restarted the car but my Kia is a 2012. What the heck??? After reading several comments of other people having a similar issue, what can be done about it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wish I had better news in my update. I took the car to the dealership and after speaking with the service rep it seemed that the problem has been seen on other Sorentos they serviced and the fix was usually replacing the electronic throttle body. I felt better, since others had the same problem remedied. Unfortunately, they called later to say that the diagnostic found no error codes and that they would do a "ground reset" to try and fix the problem. I asked if this was absolute fix and he replied that there was no way to be sure it would never happen again; hardly reassuring.

So, I contacted the dealer where we bought the car (a little further away than the dealer where the car is being serviced) and spoke with the sales manager to tell him my story. He spoke with his service dept and they told him the same thing; that barring any error codes, all they can do is clean up the grounds and make sure all the connections are good. He then gave me the number to Kia's call center, where I spoke with a rep who will supposedly have their "engineers" contact the service dept where our car is now. No fix pending.

To add insult to injury, I just had a terrible experience with a service rep named Kelly who had called to remind me (again) that the car is ready for pick up. I had to remind her that I am not currently satisfied with the repair so I have taken the issue to the manufacturer who will be contacting them. It was apparent that she was annoyed and her tone became condescending and totally unprofessional. I don't think I've actually had someone in "customer service" be so insulting. Now this whole mess has taken on a new bitter tone.

Not pleased.
(2013 KIA Sorrento 14,000 miles)
I currently have a device that KIA has put in to record the OBD. It is a piggy back plug in device and there are wires coming from the OBD plug by the steering wheel and a computer module sitting by my passenger seat. The reason is my car stalled on my wife twice while driving; completely shut off. They are unable to recreate this problem at the dealership so the only option was to put this recorder device in the car; once the car has a problem, I hit a button that records 30 seconds before and after I hit the button pending I'm still alive after my car potentially shuts off on the freeway.

On top of that, my passenger side rear door handle just popped off. The service has been fine but I have lost complete faith in the vehicle. I should have bought a Honda.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
290 Posts
Today as I pulled into a parking slot, I had to back up so as to go in straight, my engine stopped. With it in PARK, foot on the brake pedal, pushing the start button absolutely nothing. Now I am blocking traffic, steering wheel, shift lever locked solid. Within a minute, started up again and no trouble the rest of the day. (knock, knock)

·
Registered
2012 LX V6
33 Posts
I took my car to dealer and let them know I had same issue of engine shutting down. It happened twice with me over last 2 years so not a big deal. Dealer run a software update on ECM and software update crashed half way. They replaced ECM with a new one. Their response to me was “.. of cause your car shuts off on you. Your ecm is all fried.”

As far as people panicking about engine shutting off:
1. It should NOT happen especially if you buy a new car. No excuse for it.
2. If it does. No need to panic and think you going to die. I used to drive a car that had bad cylinder and would shut off all the time, even on highway. All you do is stay calm, shift to N as you coast (don’t brake unless you have to), restart the car in N, shift to D and resume driving. People around you would not have any idea what happened.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
290 Posts
Today as I pulled into a parking slot, I had to back up so as to go in straight, my engine stopped. With it in PARK, foot on the brake pedal, pushing the start button absolutely nothing. Now I am blocking traffic, steering wheel, shift lever locked solid. Within a minute, started up again and no trouble the rest of the day. (knock, knock)
So now today in my garage, had been sitting overnight, got in my Sorento, pushed the start button, nothing, no lights, no sounds, just nothing. Noticed that the instrument panel showed the rear hatch door open. It was not, opened it and shut it, back in the vehicle and it started. :eek: PMO!!

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6 AWD
354 Posts
I wonder if the complete shut downs are from loose grounds from the assembly line? I used to work at an auto plant back in the day and they sped up the line so fast that many of us could barely keep up. It was insane.

I was just installing yesterday the circuit for the DRL on my Sorento to meet Canadian spec and when I loosened the nut holding the fuse board in place so that I could ground the fuse, the nut was completely loose, so I just used my fingers to rotate it off.

·
Registered
NA V, K3
259 Posts
I think I read somewhere else too, about a ground wire becoming lose, and that was the reason (so far as that person knows) for the engine shutting down.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
573 Posts
Lots of scary sh*t right here :(

I wish your sorentos have their much-needed fix anytime soon.

One question: Does any of you have the push start button? Preferably the SX model?

This is my exact trim and I hate to experience this.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6 AWD
354 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same issue here on our 13' LX V6. It's stalled coming to a stop about once/month in the last 4 months. Last weekend it wouldn't crank over for the first few times I tried.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts