Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I love the Sorento. It has the design and engineering that makes it stand out amongst peers. But I have a troubling amount of start-up clatter from the engine that lasts just 5-10 seconds. The climate is warm here in St. Louis, so it's not due to oil thickening from the cold. If the car is parked on any kind of grade the noise is worse, often sounding as if the oil pump has run dry. To be clear though, this is not the DI noise- I have adjusted to the fact that the GDI technology produces more noise in general from high pressure injectors- this is a "why are you starting me without any oil" clatter.

About 8500 miles on the odometer and the dealer has changed the oil twice, most recently using Castrol Syntec. I've brought the issue up to the dealer who seems willing to look into it.....but has some reservations that the engine may be operating "as designed".

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
Without hearing it, it is difficult to say it is is abnormal or or not. Best thing to do would be to park it next to a like vehicle for the same amount of time and then start both and compare. Aside from the normal GDI noise, the 4 cyl. engines are relatively quiet at start up compared to the V6s.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
My 3.5L V6 makes quite a racket on cold start too. I'm going to try switching to Synthetic Oil next oil change. Sounds to me like the VVT system lets all the oil out when the vehicle is turned off for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
Just for your information (F.Y.I.) from the service site, the 2.4, 4cyl engine has "solid" valve lifters, as opposed to commonly used "hydraulic" valve lifters, causing some valvetrain chatter (almost like a diesel sounds). This is caused by the clearance of I believe 3-5mm? between the valve stem, & camshaft. You may also get some clicking noise from the injectors as well.

I don't know the mechanics of the V6, or 2.0 engine, but I'm guessing they have a similar valve train setup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My initial thought was that the anti-drain back valve in the oil filter was not operating. But, as mentioned in my original post, the dealer has performed two oil changes. The clatter is disconcerting because it really sounds as if the engine is turning without lubrication, which can only lead to premature wear.

Has anyone used other oil brands with success? I thought for sure the switch to synthetic (Syntec) would make a positive difference for this issue. Must say though, once the engine is at operating temp it purrs like a kitten. KIA really hit a home-run in designing the new Sorento with an extraordinarily smooth 6 speed automatic. Acceleration is seamless.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
No clatter here. What engine is in your Sorento?

I've got the 3.5L, but haven't had a true "cold start" since I bought it in the late spring. Even with the factory/dealer "lowest bidder" oil, I haven't noticed any clatter on startup. That said, I'm not taking any chances and just upgraded to Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic oil. :)

Best,

·
Registered
532 Posts
No clatter here. What engine is in your Sorento?

I've got the 3.5L, but haven't had a true "cold start" since I bought it in the late spring. Even with the factory/dealer "lowest bidder" oil, I haven't noticed any clatter on startup. That said, I'm not taking any chances and just upgraded to Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic oil. :)

Best,
Made this video a while back. You can hear the clatter on initial startup in the video.

By coldstart, I meant after sitting for a very long period of time to the point where the engine is 'cold'

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the 2.4L GDI engine with the auto transmission. About 8500 miles. I did not drive the V6 during my test drives, but have heard very good things about that engine as well.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Made this video a while back. You can hear the clatter on initial startup in the video.

By coldstart, I meant after sitting for a very long period of time to the point where the engine is 'cold'
Quite a bit louder than mine on a cold start. I'd certainly have your local stealer check the oil pressure on start-up and idle. I'd also make sure that I was using a good quality synthetic oil and OEM oil filter.

Good luck.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quite a bit louder than mine on a cold start. I'd certainly have your local stealer check the oil pressure on start-up and idle. I'd also make sure that I was using a good quality synthetic oil and OEM oil filter.

Good luck.
Im defiantly switching to Synthetic next oil change. I believe there is 5W20 in it now. The one I test drove was brand new and still made the same noise. Very interesting. I can only assume that there was not synthetic in the one I test drove. Im sure synth will quiet it down.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
198 Posts
Far less noise then the 1st generation cold starts where...mine use to sound like a old diesel engine starting the lifters had absolutely no oil on them for the first 20 seconds even with fully synthetic and it seem to not bother it even after 8 years and over 200,000Km's on the clock...our new 2013 Sorento V6 cold starts I can hardly hear it run but I will be switching it to Synthetic on it's first oil change.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento 2.4 w/Manual 6spd
273 Posts
I wouldn't rely on synthetic oil to eliminate a noisy engine on startup. The engine should not rattle on startup unless it is extremely cold and even then you should only hear a rattle for about 2 seconds max, which is the amount of time it takes for the oil pressure to come up and elminate the timing chain rattle which I believe is the main culprit of cold start noise. You will also hear some lifter noise when cold but nothing excessive as this engine using shim-type, solid lifters as opposed to hydraulic lifters as was mentioned previously.

If you hear rattle noise on every start I would not be on this forum asking about oil grades and switching to synth, I'd have the car at the dealer so they can check oil pressure at startup and troubleshoot sources of the rattle before it results in engine wear. Even though you have warranty you still want to do everything to baby the engine, because many problems will take many years before they results in failure, often outside of warranty. Unless you want an oil-burner and possibly internal engine failure at say year 6 or 7 after warranty has run out, Id recommend having Kia check it out. Even if they say its normal and no problems, at least your report will be documented for future if problems arise.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX,Shelby Cobra GT500,'12 Nissan Sentra,'09 Ford Focus
123 Posts
I own a 2012 V6 and my brother owns a 2011 SantaFe V6 and both have CHATTERING on cold start-ups...we've tried just about all kinds of oils and always been using OEM filters.

Dealership told us that KIA/Hyundai techs informed them that the chattering was caused by the "CVVT" Constant Variable Valve Timing" System, it takes it a few seconds to get oil into the mechanisim to build up pressure and quiet down the CHATTERING...we were told not to worry.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I own a 2012 V6 and my brother owns a 2011 SantaFe V6 and both have CHATTERING on cold start-ups...we've tried just about all kinds of oils and always been using OEM filters.

Dealership told us that KIA/Hyundai techs informed them that the chattering was caused by the "CVVT" Constant Variable Valve Timing" System, it takes it a few seconds to get oil into the mechanisim to build up pressure and quiet down the CHATTERING...we were told not to worry.
Yep thats exactly what I figured it was. It's a shame they didn't use a better design but its only there for two seconds. After that the 3.5L purrs like a kitten.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento 2.4 w/Manual 6spd
273 Posts
2 seconds of rattling is ok, but the original poster gets 5-10 seconds of rattle in warm weather, that sounds out of the ordinary to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone who responded to this post/question. The information shared here is helpful, and has given me insight into what appears to be a shared experience for other Sorento owners.

I will follow-up with my dealer and share results on this site.

·
Registered
Corolla 1996, Corolla 2009, Soon Sorento
36 Posts
when I cold start in the morning, my 2.4GDI engine is making a high pitch 'ringing' for a few minutes, is-that related to the clatter you guys are talking about?

I also notice this engine is slightly clattering all the time even if the engine has warmed up, it sounds almost like a Diesel engine.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
manteiv;439268...I also notice this engine is slightly clattering all the time even if the engine has warmed up said:
That's the high pressure injectors. It is normal.

·
Registered
2011 Titanium Sorento SX - 39,000 miles since 03/2011
106 Posts
I have been doing synthetic oil since the first change, and at 21,000 miles, it still does a thumping/rattling noise during the first minute or two of start-up. I don't like it, but that is usually when I am connecting phone, and getting ready to go anyway. It does this anytime at initial start, even when it is warm outside.

It is going in next week for a full moonroof rip-out and new installation. I have had problems with it since the beginning, and this is probably about the 5th time it is going in for repair. I hope this does it, but I am not thrilled that the dealship had to call in a moonroof company to do the work. I am concerned about leaking in the future... but not much I can do. There is actually a metal piece sticking out of the roof.

I have had my backup camera completely replaced, including the line from the back to the front of the car. And it still has periods that it doesn't work. Hasn't worked yesterday or today, so I have sent the dealer a few pictures. They check it out, but if it doesn't do it when it is there, they say they can't do anything. I am hoping the photos help, but I did get the line about the modified electrical system as I had a remote starter put in because they did not offer one on the SX when I bought.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
It's probably a good thing that they brought in a sunroof company. The sunroof company specializes in sunroofs and is more experienced with the installation and issues that come up. I had an aftermarket sunroof put into my previous 2001 Sana Fe and it never had a problem and was guaranteed for life. When they put it in I freaked out. They stamped a big hole in the roof...but in the end it was like it was built that way.

I'm assuming they are putting in another Kia panorama sunroof. You should ask if the sunroof company or Kia will guarantee the sunroof for life or some other extended period...doesn't hurt to ask.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts