Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been experiencing an intermittent "jerking/hesitation" problem with my 2012 Kia Sorento LX. Yesterday was the worse of it, the car felt like it wanted to break down in the middle of the road while I was trying to accelerate from low gears or make a stop. I just know that it doesn't run smoothly and makes me frustrated because whenever I bring it to be serviced, the mechanics would say that my car runs "okay" and they don't experience the symptom upon test driving, neither they see error codes when hooked into the computer.

It makes me wonder if this is related to the ECU software recall update that they did in Feb 2019 or the engine wash (which they failed to dry properly causing moisture in some wiring terminals) or maybe the air filter box that was left open in the last PMS appointment I had in May 2019 or because I tried shifting gears manually with the "Sports mode" in an automatic tranny. I completely have no idea. :(

·
Registered
2012 Titanium Silver Sorento LX w/ GDI
78 Posts
A friend had a similar problem in their non-kia vehicle which seemed to happen mostly around 45-55 during acceleration. It didn't throw any codes. Turned out to be a ignition coil issue. You don't indicate how many miles on your vehicle or if you are approaching 100k which is typical for replace spark plugs. I drive sport mode all the time in my 2012 Sorento when I'm merging on an on-ramp or in hilly terrain. I don't have that problem.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A friend had a similar problem in their non-kia vehicle which seemed to happen mostly around 45-55 during acceleration. It didn't throw any codes. Turned out to be a ignition coil issue. You don't indicate how many miles on your vehicle or if you are approaching 100k which is typical for replace spark plugs. I drive sport mode all the time in my 2012 Sorento when I'm merging on an on-ramp or in hilly terrain. I don't have that problem.
Mine happens randomly from 0 to 30kph and mileage is 84300kms. Booked an appointment with Kia this coming Tuesday and will ask them to take a look at the spark plugs. However, don’t they usually check the spark plugs whenever we bring our car in for PMS? Thank you for your input. I really hope this is not serious.

·
Registered
2012 Titanium Silver Sorento LX w/ GDI
78 Posts
Spark plugs will show normal. If the igniters are marginal, it only takes one to stop firing such that the plug doesn't ignite the fuel. No saying that this is the problem, just something else for them to look at. Routine PMS? I'm not sure there is such a thing. It could turn into a major profit center for a dealer to recommend maintenance before it's due or there is a problem. Kind of like a 3k oil change when the oil will do 5k easily

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spark plugs will show normal. If the igniters are marginal, it only takes one to stop firing such that the plug doesn't ignite the fuel. No saying that this is the problem, just something else for them to look at. Routine PMS? I'm not sure there is such a thing. It could turn into a major profit center for a dealer to recommend maintenance before it's due or there is a problem. Kind of like a 3k oil change when the oil will do 5k easily
Will definitely request those to be checked. Oh well, I think I am nearly regretting that l took my car into the dealer when I am so used to getting services from a local garage. It was very timely that all these problems popped out when I transferred service to them.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,766 Posts
I have been experiencing an intermittent "jerking/hesitation" problem with my 2012 Kia Sorento LX. Yesterday was the worse of it, the car felt like it wanted to break down in the middle of the road while I was trying to accelerate from low gears or make a stop. I just know that it doesn't run smoothly and makes me frustrated because whenever I bring it to be serviced, the mechanics would say that my car runs "okay" and they don't experience the symptom upon test driving, neither they see error codes when hooked into the computer.

It makes me wonder if this is related to the ECU software recall update that they did in Feb 2019 or the engine wash (which they failed to dry properly causing moisture in some wiring terminals) or maybe the air filter box that was left open in the last PMS appointment I had in May 2019 or because I tried shifting gears manually with the "Sports mode" in an automatic tranny. I completely have no idea. :(
Ahead of taking it to Kia or another suitable independent service centre, stop by AutZone and have the error codes read, and that should give you pointers to what's causing the severe misfire.

Diagnostics are needed, and doing anything such as replacing crank and cam position sensors etc. is , guessing and likely to cost you more in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,766 Posts
Will definitely request those to be checked. Oh well, I think I am nearly regretting that l took my car into the dealer when I am so used to getting services from a local garage. It was very timely that all these problems popped out when I transferred service to them.
The service shops don't check spark plugs if they're not due for replacement, and there's no misfiring taking place.

Of course, any service shop will pull the plugs if you ask, ....... they'll welcome the opportunity to charge you more.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually stopped by OK Tire and have it checked today, they couldn’t find an error and just advised me to take my car into a Kia dealership which they said would most likely have specific diagnostic tools for my concerns.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ahead of taking it to Kia or another suitable independent service centre, stop by AutZone and have the error codes read, and that should give you pointers to what's causing the severe misfire.

Diagnostics are needed, and doing anything such as replacing crank and cam position sensors etc. is , guessing, is likely to cost you more in the long run.
I suddenly remember the first time I had that jerking movement they ran diagnostics and found 2 error codes related to transmission. From there they reassured me it was just because of the moisture buildup after the engine was washed, then they cleared them out after it has been dried off properly.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX 3.5 V6
22 Posts
I have a similar problem a few months ago. In my case, the engine seemed to want to die out to the point of nothing more than idle RPM. I found that it would work ok if I warmed the engine up to full temperature before driving it.
Turned out, after taking it to the dealer, that it was the Throttle Body unit. It was gummed up.
Don't know your mileage, but at the time, I had about 240K on mine.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a similar problem a few months ago. In my case, the engine seemed to want to die out to the point of nothing more than idle RPM. I found that it would work ok if I warmed the engine up to full temperature before driving it.
Turned out, after taking it to the dealer, that it was the Throttle Body unit. It was gummed up.
Don't know your mileage, but at the time, I had about 240K on mine.
I had an appointment yesterday at the dealer and left my car there for 6 hours without finding anything out. My mileage is about 84K. They checked for error codes and leak but there wasn’t any. They did an ECU reboot though hoping that it’ll help. The service advisor said it could be the transmission’s sensor failing or the ATF getting very low. I’ll give an update if the system reset works or fails!

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
17 Posts
I posted a few weeks ago on my 2019 Kia Sorento EX V6 that when it hit around 3500 miles developed a hesitation/missing feeling/jerking from start, going up hills, and up to around 35 mph, even at idle. No engine light, first time they reprogrammed the trans, second time they examined all the plugs, did diagnostics, both times they drove it and said they didn't notice it. I've been driving a long time and I know when a car has that "missing" feeling, it is definitely there and did not have it originally. I wrote to Kia with no response.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
Just my 2 cents.

For those experiencing this "missing" feeling.

Do you drive with the Anti-slip (auto traction control) in default "ON", or do you drive with it "OFF" ?

The reason I say this, is because I had that issue at first when I initially switched from another car to the Sorento.

I love the Sorento, once you get the hangs of it maneuvers like a sports car, yet with enough strength to pull a trailer full load of stones 3500+ lbs.

It became a daily routine for me and wife to hit the "OFF" button for the annoying Anti-slip mode, which actually causes the traction loss feel every time it engages.

It actually does the opposite of what it supposed to do.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I posted a few weeks ago on my 2019 Kia Sorento EX V6 that when it hit around 3500 miles developed a hesitation/missing feeling/jerking from start, going up hills, and up to around 35 mph, even at idle. No engine light, first time they reprogrammed the trans, second time they examined all the plugs, did diagnostics, both times they drove it and said they didn't notice it. I've been driving a long time and I know when a car has that "missing" feeling, it is definitely there and did not have it originally. I wrote to Kia with no response.
It's really frustrating when you bring your car in and they couldn't replicate your concerns. Please let us know what Kia might have to say. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just my 2 cents.

For those experiencing this "missing" feeling.

Do you drive with the Anti-slip (auto traction control) in default "ON", or do you drive with it "OFF" ?

The reason I say this, is because I had that issue at first when I initially switched from another car to the Sorento.

I love the Sorento, once you get the hangs of it maneuvers like a sports car, yet with enough strength to pull a trailer full load of stones 3500+ lbs.

It became a daily routine for me and wife to hit the "OFF" button for the annoying Anti-slip mode, which actually causes the traction loss feel every time it engages.

It actually does the opposite of what it supposed to do.
I will explore your advice and see the difference.

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
169 Posts
The service advisor said it could be the transmission’s sensor failing or the ATF getting very low.
The transmission temp sensor is known to fail in these transmissions. I believe there is a TSB out for the techs on the temp sensor. The service advisor is just throwing out common or typical things that could cause this issue. I would have the fluid changed just to be safe. When changing the fluid, you are only changing out about half the fluid in the transmission at a time because you can not drain the convertor. On this site or Google about the fluid changing in KIA's - others have done it here. KIA says life time fluid in the owners manual for the transmission but under severe duty that does not apply. Other manufactures say the same thing but if you want it to last - change the fluid. One thing for sure about changing the fluid is that it is not going to harm anything if done properly. You can also check for metal grindings in the fluid which may indicate if the transmission is the cause of your problem.

I had mine do something like yours is doing once; when I was taking off from a stop light. It felt like someone rear ended me as I was starting to roll away from the stop light. It has not happen since but I think that one of the solenoid valves in the transmission got stuck and the transmission was trying to go into two gears at the same time.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That’s the plan, transmission fluid change will be included in the next scheduled maintenance before winter comes. Appreciate your advice!

I believe that if those metal grindings will occur, it will be part of their recall against machining errors during the manufacturing process.

So far, after they’ve rebooted the car’s computer system, I haven’t been experiencing such jerking symptom. Will monitor how long this would last.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: After exactly a week since the dealer rebooted my ECU, my car with a cold engine jerked again. I drove it continuously for the next 400m (hoping that if the engine warms up a bit it would disappear) before I decided to pull over in a safe area and restart my engine. It sounded like something was wrong while shifting gears - it was slipping. After I restarted, car ran okay, like nothing happened, then I decided to go straight to a local mechanic. Left my 2012 Sorento there for a full day inspection and diagnosis: mechanic called me back informing that the transmission temperature sensor was faulty. Code P0713 appeared. He then advised me to have the sensor replaced, as well as the ATF. Paid almost 800CAD for diagnostics and repairs. I'm crossing my fingers that these would solve my car's problem!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts