Kia Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX-V6 FWD, Nissan Quest 1996, Hyundai Elantra 2000
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I would like to get a bit more low end bass. I have a 2012 SX V6 AWD and it does have the sub and amp. So for a few questions to those that may already know;

1.) Is there a gain adjustment to the subs amp?
2.) what is the sub amps rated power?
3.) what size sub speaker is used and is it single or dual coil (freq resp and SPL rating if known)? (This probably is a single coil but you never know when it is hidden away)

In reality if we can get a sub with better frequency responce and a higher rated SPL sensativity may just do without changing the amp too.

Another thing is has anyone changed their sub out yet?
I also feel that the low end bass is not as much (as it should have been). As my memory serves, EX-V6 w/ Premium sounded deeper (when I tried during test drive) than my SX.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Cadenza SXL Smokey Blue/white
359 Posts
I also feel that the low end bass is not as much (as it should have been). As my memory serves, EX-V6 w/ Premium sounded deeper (when I tried during test drive) than my SX.

Really? Aren't the stereo and the components the same between the two vehicles when the premium box is checked on the EX?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Really? Aren't the stereo and the components the same between the two vehicles when the premium box is checked on the EX?
Logically, Yes.
Kia tells other-wise.. (Also mentions subwoofer only in EX V6 premium pkg).

Total confusion..

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2003 Honda S2000
183 Posts
I've noticed that the bass seems deeper to me when running off USB rather than Sat or FM (Sat is slightly better than FM it seems)...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I've noticed that the bass seems deeper to me when running off USB rather than Sat or FM (Sat is slightly better than FM it seems)...
Ok. Let me try that tomorrow.

I noticed that the Bass control did not have a big effect. But let me try it off of USB and see how it is..

·
Registered
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i, 2012 Sorento AWD SX
137 Posts
Each audio source has different signal responce. Since we are analog radio you will have poor lower and especially upper frequency responce. Sat is better but still not perfect as to maintain quality and lower bandwidth there is a pretty high compression, clipping lower and upper responce. USB can easily support low compression enhancing all frequency responce. DVD is usually low to no loss compression but to leave alot of room for dynamic headroom may have a low output.

Even after all this you can be put at the mercy of your D/A converters or in true digital amps (not applicable here) the end conversion at the speaker responce and even passive or active crossovers.

Since the Surround is dependent on Dolby Pro logic in most cases, if not all, then even the original tracks play suspect. If you are listening to say 50's rock in original stereo the music may be on one track and voices on the other. DPL will not see the bass responce as one to place in the x.1 channel and then no sub output. My x-father in law has a Subaru where you can change from DPL to Matrix and it makes a huge difference in FM 50's music. This may not be true though of remastered audio as then it can be optimized.

In the end there is still no perfect world. These systems can only be a comprimse and try and alow controls for us to adjust to "best taste"..........

·
Registered
45 Posts
As a speaker engineer, let me comment that the number of speakers does not indicate sound quality at all. Car companies just do that because unknowing folks think it matters, like megapixels on a camera. There can be a vague correlation in that more speakers are usually in a more expensive premium setup.

I'm quite picky, and find the optional Infinity in my EX V6 Premium Package*
to be pretty nice. Then again, if you want gut-pounding bass, that's not gonna happen out of ANY system out of dozens I've worked on, excepting an optional Nissan Armada system that had a truly big sub.

Usually the "sub" is something like 7" in diameter, and can put out some lows for normal listening, that's about it.

It is highly doubtful you'll get better sub performance without a physically larger enclosure and bigger diameter sub. It's just physics. Big bass means moving a big amount of air which means a big sub in a big box. I don't know if anyone is making a fit-molded sub box specifically for Sorentos yet.
- Note that it's possible the amp has been equalized to that particular sub, and maybe time-aligned. So a different sub may not match that.

By the way, anyone having problems with USB? If so, look for a "flash drive" thread I think I'll start, since "USB" is too short for a search term. Mine just won't see many files, all kinds of bugs.

*(Kia is really inconsistent; their brochures and online build-your-own and actual factory order sheets don't match :mad:, dummy on them)

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2003 Honda S2000
183 Posts
I don't remember anybody saying/implying that more speakers = better sound... typically the nicer factory systems have more speakers but that's more because they count each piece of a component speaker.

As far as the sub performance, I must say that it performs better than the 10" free air sub that was in my '06 Mercedes CLS.

·
Registered
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i, 2012 Sorento AWD SX
137 Posts
I have a 8GB USB flash thumb drive with about 1.7 filled. All the files are seen but I have them subdivided into folder and then albums so there are not many per folder. Also all artists are off the root of the drive...........

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX FWD
1 Posts
Trying to replace some blown speakers in my 2012 SX V6 with Premium Package and 3rd row, and wanted to make sure I get something that works with the system, even if I go aftermarket. Any ideas as to what size and specs each speaker works off of? This is what I think I have gathered thus far. Please correct me if I am wrong!
  • Front Passenger Door = 6.5" 1-way 2 Ohm speaker rated up to 60 watt
  • Trunk-mounted Subwoofer = 8" speaker

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,882 Posts
Trying to replace some blown speakers in my 2012 SX V6 with Premium Package and 3rd row, and wanted to make sure I get something that works with the system, even if I go aftermarket. Any ideas as to what size and specs each speaker works off of? This is what I think I have gathered thus far. Please correct me if I am wrong!
  • Front Passenger Door = 6.5" 1-way 2 Ohm speaker rated up to 60 watt
  • Trunk-mounted Subwoofer = 8" speaker
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts