Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX-V6 FWD, Nissan Quest 1996, Hyundai Elantra 2000
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the 2012 Sorento broucher it lists Infinity Audio differently for different package.

1. In Premium Plus package (EX I4), it says "Infinity surround-sound audio w/ 10 speakers"

2. In Premium Package (EX V6), it says "Infinity audio w/external amplifier & subwoofer"

Are these the same. In other words the Premium Plus Package (EX I4) also comes with subwoofer, or it is only in V6?

Anyone with EX-I4 with Premium pkg, please chime in.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX I4 GDI FWD w/Premium Package - Tuscan Olive Green w/Beige Leather Interior
55 Posts
I have the EX GDI with Premium package and it has the external amp under the front passenger seat and what I assume is the same sub-woofer as the EX V6 premium in the left side panel of the cargo area. I didn't look at the V6 models when shopping, so I can't tell you for certain they are identical, but I'm pretty sure it is the same system from all I've read. It sounds pretty good especially when turned up a bit...the weakest part to me is that at low volumes it sounds a bit thin, put it has plenty of power to crank it louder than I care to use and plenty of bass from the sub as well.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the EX GDI with Premium package and it has the external amp under the front passenger seat and what I assume is the same sub-woofer as the EX V6 premium in the left side panel of the cargo area. I didn't look at the V6 models when shopping, so I can't tell you for certain they are identical, but I'm pretty sure it is the same system from all I've read. It sounds pretty good especially when turned up a bit...the weakest part to me is that at low volumes it sounds a bit thin, put it has plenty of power to crank it louder than I care to use and plenty of bass from the sub as well.

Thanks for confirming. The Kia broucher is sketchy and does not state clearly, hence had the question.

How is your EX-I4 going so far?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2003 Honda S2000
183 Posts
I think the subwoofer is counted as one of the 10 speakers (rather than calling it a 9.1 system), I can't seem to find information on the infinity system in the KGIS but it lists 8 speakers: front/rear doors on each side (4), front tweeters (2), front center (1), subwoofer (1). I think the infinity system has two more at the back of the vehicle (near the third row, if equipped)... and right now I'm too lazy to get dressed and go look :p

On edit: I lied, I did go look at I am correct, there are two more speakers on the far back pillar a couple inches higher than the third row a/c duct.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the subwoofer is counted as one of the 10 speakers (rather than calling it a 9.1 system), I can't seem to find information on the infinity system in the KGIS but it lists 8 speakers: front/rear doors on each side (4), front tweeters (2), front center (1), subwoofer (1). I think the infinity system has two more at the back of the vehicle (near the third row, if equipped)... and right now I'm too lazy to get dressed and go look :p

On edit: I lied, I did go look at I am correct, there are two more speakers on the far back pillar a couple inches higher than the third row a/c duct.
Ah. That makes more sense. Otherwise fitting the 10 speakers around the vehicle was not working.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX I4 GDI FWD w/Premium Package - Tuscan Olive Green w/Beige Leather Interior
55 Posts
Yes, there are eight left & right speakers, one center speaker in the dash, and the sub in the left rear cargo area.

·
Registered
55 Posts
How is your EX-I4 going so far?
Just under 4,000 miles, and so far, so good. I like the car quite a bit. I think the engine has more than enough power as a daily driver. I don't tow with it, so that wasn't a factor in my decision. The only comment I'd make to prospective buyers is to really pay attention to the ride quality...as it is pretty stiff. Hard breaks or ridges in the pavement can be a bit harsh. You're not likely to notice it on a casual test drive, so I mention it as it is something you will notice in day to day driving. On the flip side, it handles damn well for a tall, heavy car. Gas mileage has been okay, not great (not what the EPA sticker would lead you to believe in any event). With a 50/50 mix of highway and not highway, I'm seeing about 24MPG - about what I got with the 2002 Mazda MPV it replaced and the 2004 Honda Accord V6 I have. I do really like the convenience features of the Premium package, and am glad I spent the extra $$ for them.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just under 4,000 miles, and so far, so good. I like the car quite a bit. I think the engine has more than enough power as a daily driver. I don't tow with it, so that wasn't a factor in my decision. The only comment I'd make to prospective buyers is to really pay attention to the ride quality...as it is pretty stiff. Hard breaks or ridges in the pavement can be a bit harsh. You're not likely to notice it on a casual test drive, so I mention it as it is something you will notice in day to day driving. On the flip side, it handles damn well for a tall, heavy car. Gas mileage has been okay, not great (not what the EPA sticker would lead you to believe in any event). With a 50/50 mix of highway and not highway, I'm seeing about 24MPG - about what I got with the 2002 Mazda MPV it replaced and the 2004 Honda Accord V6 I have. I do really like the convenience features of the Premium package, and am glad I spent the extra $$ for them.

Good luck with your decision.
Thanks for the info.

I test drove EX V6 and SX back to back yesterday. I found SX to be more firm (or is it because of the air pressure in the tires, I am not sure). But I felt that firm suspension on SX. EX V6 was relatively soft. This is on a regular tar road.
But I like the ride. I am still on a lookout for I4 and I kept on readjusting myself based on market availability.
My desire is to get EX I4. If that does not work out, I might settle for SX (It's a stretch to my wallet, but need to do something).

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the 2012 Sorento broucher it lists Infinity Audio differently for different package.

1. In Premium Plus package (EX I4), it says "Infinity surround-sound audio w/ 10 speakers"

2. In Premium Package (EX V6), it says "Infinity audio w/external amplifier & subwoofer"

Are these the same. In other words the Premium Plus Package (EX I4) also comes with subwoofer, or it is only in V6?

Anyone with EX-I4 with Premium pkg, please chime in.
Just got off the phone with Kia consumer affairs and what they tell me is the following

1. EX-I4 (no premium pkg) is 6 Speaker Audio
2. EX-I4 + Premium Plus Pkg is Infinity 10 Speaker Audio (No Sub or external amp) :(
3. EX-V6 + Premium Pkg is Infinity 10 Speaker Audio w/ Sub and External Amp (as we know already) :)
4. SX-V6 is Infinity 10 Speaker Audio (No Sub or external amp) :( :confused:

As strange as it sounds...

·
Registered
2012 Sorento Ex 4cly GDI and Dodge 2500 4x4
13 Posts
We have the EX 4GDI Premium pakage / nav system. I can not see the amp and subwoofer as a big deal at all . all the tricks the nav system gives you is great. as quiet as the car is the sound goes higher than we could want any way

And the ride of the SX over the EX = I think= is b

·
Registered
2012 Sorento Ex 4cly GDI and Dodge 2500 4x4
13 Posts
I think the ride sofness feel of the SX to EX is in the Seats. We drove the 2012 Dealer Demo SX for three weeks untill out EX 4 GDI arived so we got the best test drive any could ask for . We are very happy with the 4cly GDI to the 6V in the SX

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just got off the phone with Kia consumer affairs and what they tell me is the following

1. EX-I4 (no premium pkg) is 6 Speaker Audio
2. EX-I4 + Premium Plus Pkg is Infinity 10 Speaker Audio (No Sub or external amp) :(
3. EX-V6 + Premium Pkg is Infinity 10 Speaker Audio w/ Sub and External Amp (as we know already) :)
4. SX-V6 is Infinity 10 Speaker Audio (No Sub or external amp) :( :confused:

As strange as it sounds...
I have a 2012 EX GDI with Premium package, and it definitely has an external amp. It is under the front passenger seat, and is clearly visible and large...so something isn't correct with the information that Kia provided you.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 2012 EX GDI with Premium package, and it definitely has an external amp. It is under the front passenger seat, and is clearly visible and large...so something isn't correct with the information that Kia provided you.
I know, someone else has posted that information too. It's strange what Kia is reporting.
I remember someone also saying that EX-I4 w/o Premium pkg is actually with 10 speakers...
It's not a deal beaker, but the (mis)information is insane..

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2003 Honda S2000
183 Posts
My SX has the amp under the seat and the subwoofer, another piece of bad information provided to you by the rep.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My SX has the amp under the seat and the subwoofer, another piece of bad information provided to you by the rep.
Thanks for confirming.
I was actually shocked when they told me SX does not have amp and sub. SX is top of the line and should have everything..

Now we know it does have..

Thanks again..

·
Registered
55 Posts
I know, someone else has posted that information too. It's strange what Kia is reporting.
I remember someone also saying that EX-I4 w/o Premium pkg is actually with 10 speakers...
It's not a deal beaker, but the (mis)information is insane..
One last comment regarding the EX GDI Premium package, I can confirm that it also includes the Subwoofer. I thought it must, but checked by fading all speakers to the front, and the lone rear cargo speaker (left / driver side) continues to thump out bass. I then faded to just front and right side, and the subwoofer continues to play (bass only).

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One last comment regarding the EX GDI Premium package, I can confirm that it also includes the Subwoofer. I thought it must, but checked by fading all speakers to the front, and the lone rear cargo speaker (left / driver side) continues to thump out bass. I then faded to just front and right side, and the subwoofer continues to play (bass only).
Thank you.

Kia consumer affairs seem to have royally screwed that information...

·
Registered
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i, 2012 Sorento AWD SX
137 Posts
I would like to get a bit more low end bass. I have a 2012 SX V6 AWD and it does have the sub and amp. So for a few questions to those that may already know;

1.) Is there a gain adjustment to the subs amp?
2.) what is the sub amps rated power?
3.) what size sub speaker is used and is it single or dual coil (freq resp and SPL rating if known)? (This probably is a single coil but you never know when it is hidden away)

In reality if we can get a sub with better frequency responce and a higher rated SPL sensativity may just do without changing the amp too.

Another thing is has anyone changed their sub out yet?

·
Registered
2011 Sorento SX in Silver with Sunroof, 2006 Mazda 3
45 Posts
I would like to get a bit more low end bass. I have a 2012 SX V6 AWD and it does have the sub and amp. So for a few questions to those that may already know;

1.) Is there a gain adjustment to the subs amp?
2.) what is the sub amps rated power?
3.) what size sub speaker is used and is it single or dual coil (freq resp and SPL rating if known)? (This probably is a single coil but you never know when it is hidden away)

In reality if we can get a sub with better frequency responce and a higher rated SPL sensativity may just do without changing the amp too.

Another thing is has anyone changed their sub out yet?
This interests me as well if anyone has any idea...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts