Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento 2.4L GDi.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my Kia for 3 months now and I really like the car. One feature I've never had before is a backup camera. Now that I've gotten used to it, I use it all the time. Yesterday, I hopped in the car to run some errands and I noticed the camera was not working when I shifted into reverse. I also saw the LED on the rear view mirror was flashing. I attempted to get the camera to work by shifting into park and turning off the car. I also pushed the mirror button several times and tapped on the mirror itself. The camera would not produce an image. Hoping this was a problem that someone else has run into, I checked this site for any information. I didn't see anything describing the exact problem I was experiencing. I did find a post explaining how to remove the camera and another person who bought a replacement from Kia but he did not follow through with a resolution to the repair. I did try tapping on the camera itself and found that it started working again. The LED on the mirror stopped flashing as well. So, it appears that there is either a loose wiring connection or the camera is beginning to fail. Has anyone replaced the camera with another factory unit? Is there an aftermarket camera that would work as well or better than the stock Kia part? What is the cost for a replacement camera?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
619 Posts
I have the exact same issue with my daughter's 2013 Kia Soul, I can get the camera working if I just go smack the rear hatch. It worked all winter, but now that summer is coming, it's starting to flake out again. I did open up the hatch liner and clean all the connectors and spray them with contact rejuvenation, that didn't help. I suspect mine is also the camera.

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
203 Posts
If you use the search function on this board, you will find that this happened to others also. Most needed the camera replaced. Some replaced their camera with a cheap aftermarket camera but had to re-wire the thing to make it work. Search and you shell find........

·
Registered
Sorento EX, 2013, Niro PHEV SX, 2019
59 Posts
I replaced the camera of my 2013 last year. It rains as lot up here in the Pacific Northwest and eventually the damp got into the camera and killed it. Super easy to change and there are cheap factory versions available in the states. I ended up getting mine from a dealer as the cross border postage didn't offer much of a saving. Pre covid I could just walk over to a post office. Kiaparts.com was the one I looked at.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
619 Posts
Hmm... They want $312.50 for the 2013 Soul backup camera...

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2012 , 2009 Hyundai Elantra , 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2017 Nissan Pathfinder sl
117 Posts
Before two weeks I replaced camera on my wife’s 2012 Sorento , it started to works on and off and then blurry , oem Kia was around 250$-300$ I bought on off eBay brand new for 79$ free shipping and let me tell u this, it works same as Kia oem , to be honest to me is more clear view , it took me around 40 min to get it done , only thing that I had to use from old camera was old bracket that holds camera which was with two screws and 1 min job ,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts