Kia Forum banner

2012 Sorento - Backup alarm on when in reverse

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  SquireSupersonic 
#1 ·
Good Afternoon Folks, I installed a new battery in my girlfriends 2012 Kia Sorento on Saturday and now she is telling me when ever the car is in reverse, the notification sound is on constantly (constant tone). Is there something that needs to be reset? Any assistance would be appreciated since it seems to be quite annoying to the ladies driving the car.

#5 ·
You probably did, but have to ask...did you check for any dirt on the bumper that may be causing it?

If it's clean, maybe one of the sensors is out of position or alignment. My Sorento doesn't have those rear sensors but if I remember correctly, they mount behind the bumper and there a little circle seen from the rear where they are located. Maybe they have come loose behind the bumper and are pointing at something that they think is solid and they perceive as an obstacle? That would explain it...and if so, well, just an unlucky coincidence.

#7 ·
It is most likely that one of the sensors went bad. Here is a link to info for the system and be sure to page through it to understand how the system works. It could also be shorted/corroded connections or a sensor is broken. A battery change is not going to cause an issue with the backup sensors.

Kia Sorento: Rear Parking Assist System - Body Electrical System - Kia Sorento XM 2011-2021 Service Manual

The linked info is for general use and is not exact for your vehicle but it should give you an idea of how the system works.

#8 ·
Thank you for taking the time to provide that info. I stopped at a Kia dealer yesterday and spoke to a service writer..his first reaction was "oohhh"...which I responded to oh thats not good. He told me the cars are very sensitive to power loss and said when they replace a battery they plug a battery pack into the cigarette lighter to keep the car alive while replacing the battery. He told me to turn the parking assist system on and off and see if it still makes the buzzer when off..if so there is a bad module, etc that will probably require a visit to the dealer. I am going to check this stuff tonight when I get to my girlfriends house. Thanks again for the suggestions. Chris Miller

#9 ·
good afternoon folks. I checked out my honey pies car last night. The on/off switch for the parking assist system was on the left side of the dash board and not by the gear shifter..that was the first mystery solved. I was able to turn it on and off as the dealer service guy told me. I looked at the rear bumper with a flash light..one of the sensors is pushed back into the bumper so the sensor is actually seeing the bumper and that is why the sound is on constant tone..dont know what happened..there are no marks on the bumper, so it wasnt hit or backed into anything. Looking under the bumper, I dont think I want to try to take the bumper cover off...the dealer is going to have to tackle that if I cant find something that I can get hold of the sensor with and try to pull it back out. Thanks for the suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.