Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX AWD
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Want to put aftermarket 17x8 alloys on with a set of BFG AT's in LT265/65/17.

Stock wheels i think are 17x7.5 and stock tires are 235/65/R17

I know the speedo will be off some as the 235's are 29.1 tall, and the 265's are 30.7 tall.

My questions is what backspacing should I look for with the 17x8's? I think all that I found on Tire Rack have a 40mm offset, but list a couple different backspacing. I don't want them sticking out the side of the fender.. or not enough and they rub at full turn.

I would go with a set of BFG AT's in a size closer to stock, but they are not snow and ice rated..

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Hey all,

Want to put aftermarket 17x8 alloys on with a set of BFG AT's in LT265/65/17.

Stock wheels i think are 17x7.5 and stock tires are 235/65/R17

I know the speedo will be off some as the 235's are 29.1 tall, and the 265's are 30.7 tall.

My questions is what backspacing should I look for with the 17x8's? I think all that I found on Tire Rack have a 40mm offset, but list a couple different backspacing. I don't want them sticking out the side of the fender.. or not enough and they rub at full turn.

I would go with a set of BFG AT's in a size closer to stock, but they are not snow and ice rated..

Any help would be appreciated.
Your speedo is going to be off by over 5%. You'll effectively be under-reporting your mileage and you'll always be going a few mph faster than you think. I'd also think that the ride would be "floaty" and soft because of the substantially higher degree of sidewall flex. Also expect a reduction in gas mileage due to the much larger contact patch on the ground...also probably not helping your ice/snow performance. A better fit would be 255/60/17. Goodyear Assurance Tripletred and General Altimax HP (and a number of others) come in that size.

Not sure about the offset. You'd have to get it up on a lift and turn lock to lock to see about the rubbing. 265/65/17 tires are over an inch wider than stock.

Best,

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento EX
6 Posts
I was looking for just about the same thing and wondering the same things you are. I love how you ask a specific question and instead you get information you really don't care about and have already stated. Then you get suggestions for other things you don't want. If you find out more info I'd love for you to share. I'll be looking into putting smaller tires on the same stock wheels but in a 235 or 245 size. I'll report back my findings,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts