Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2012 , 2009 Hyundai Elantra , 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2017 Nissan Pathfinder sl
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys , probably someone has more experience with this , here’s the problem , I replaced on my wife’s car control arms both sides which came with ball joint installed , also sway bars plus tie rods , of course it’s of alignment , so closest car shop was Ford dealer 88$ did alignment, but according to them they couldn’t do it 100% because Kia camber and caster bolts are not adjustable, so he asked me 300$ parts and labor to put new ones that are adjustable, it seems to me expensive, can I replace them my self and then send car for alignment , here’s the pic of it , he said that it’s not that bad , but is like to fix the issue

·
Registered
2014 Sorento LX 2.4L I4 FWD
15 Posts
On my 2014 Sorento I changed the ball joints and sway bar end links and struts. The alignment shop had no problem aligning it. Pretty sure the suspension is similar from your model to my model. I suggest taking it to another shop and see what they say. $300 does seem pricey but it is a dealership after all.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2012 , 2009 Hyundai Elantra , 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2017 Nissan Pathfinder sl
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To me this it seems crazy , 300$ parts and labor are plus 88$ For alignment again , it doesn’t seem to me right , because I did before alignment on this car and never run on this problem , that’s why I came up here to ask if anyone has or had this similar problem, I will definitely when I have time drive by Kia dealer and just show them papers and ask them and see what they will say , she needs new tires before winter , so I need to fix the issue and have 100% alignment on the car ,here’s the description of what they done and what they suggest to fix the issue

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So after putting new set of 4 tires I did alignment to Kia dealer which alignment came out ok , expect right rear passenger wheel couldn’t be alignment 100% according to the tech the rear right arm is bent a little , and in order to fix it I need new control arm , also he said that there’s no dangerous driving it except tire may not wear even , does anyone had this similar problem, should I order new part and replaced or it’s ok leave it the way it is

·
Registered
471 Posts
I would replace it, but more importantly I would like to know how it got bent.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
honestly I was surprised when he told me cus as far as I remembered we haven’t hit and hole or anything like that , unless previous owner or first owner maybe hit something, but yes I can replace it since shouldn’t be a big of a deal , I asked a technician he said it that idk , I probably will replace , I did replace both fronts before couple weeks , so rear control arm shouldn’t be that hard ,but after wife’s comes home today I’m going to lift the car and see it myslef , then I’ll start from there

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
252 Posts
I would not get overly concerned about the alignment unless you have tire wear issues. Alignments on most cars over the past 25 years have no factory adjustments to them except for the toe. The only factory adjustment is the slop in the mounting bolt holes, which is very little. If more adjustment is needed then a aftermarket kit is required which may add up to 2° to 3° more movement by way of special off set cam bolts.

The camber, caster, and toe changes as the suppression moves up and down. This is called bump steer in a race car. Your camber on the rear may be caused by wear and deflection in the rubber bushings, worn spring, load or ride height of car, or it could have been off from the factory. Most alignments today are nothing more then setting the toe and anything else is extra charge because it is not adjustable from the factory. If tire wear is a problem, it is more likely caused from worn parts causing the problem; like ball joints, tie rod ends, worn bushings, and yes bent parts. There is very little that an alignment is going to fix if there is something wrong, parts need to be replaced.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok , thanks for reply , I guess I’ll just let the way it is

1 - 8 of 8 Posts