Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento EX 2.4L 2WD, 2014 Kia Optima LX, 2007 Hyundai Entourage Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone - My son purchased a 2012 Sorento about 60 days ago and the engine just seized. I'm having it taken to Kia today to have it evaluated to see if it qualifies for the recall to have the engine replaced.

Anyone have any experience with this process? Anything I should know about?

At this point, I'm afraid we just bought a giant paperweight that will take thousands of dollars to fix.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,613 Posts
Engine replacement should be covered under the recall warranty. However, a few stealerships are probably still willing to try pulling a fast one by denying coverage, due to lack of a complete set of maintenance records (which I'm presuming you didn't get with this vehicle).

If they try this on you, tell them you will open a case with Kia Corporate. If that doesn't make them become more cooperative, then file the case with Kia and don't do anything else until they get back to with their decision. Everything I've been seeing recently (mainly on the Hyundai side) indicates that Kia/Hyundai is automatically replacing these Theta engines, without any effort on the part of the owners. And that's happening as a result of the legal proceedings and all of the extremely negative publicity the automakers have been getting over this issue (completely justified IMO).

Up until a few months ago, they were opening up some engines, looking for sludge in order to prove poor oil maintenance. I haven't read an account of that happening recently, and suspect at this point they have run up the white flag, and are just doing the engine replacements unconditionally.

So you will most likely have no pushback from Kia on a warranty engine replacement. However, be prepared to immediately take the above action, just in case they try to BS you.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento EX 2.4L 2WD, 2014 Kia Optima LX, 2007 Hyundai Entourage Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engine replacement should be covered under the recall warranty. However, a few stealerships are probably still willing to try pulling a fast one by denying coverage, due to lack of a complete set of maintenance records (which I'm presuming you didn't get with this vehicle).
You are correct, I didn't get any maintenance records. However, I believe the carfax showed regular maintenance because they took it to the dealer to get oil changes, etc. From everything I could see, it was a well maintained vehicle.

I really hope there isn't pushback and so far the dealer seems friendly. They were the ones that mentioned the warranty/recall. I'd imagine they get paid well from Kia to handle recalls like this anyways and then they don't have to worry about me negotiating or not being able to pay.

Thanks for all the info and advice!

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,931 Posts
You are correct, I didn't get any maintenance records. However, I believe the carfax showed regular maintenance because they took it to the dealer to get oil changes, etc. From everything I could see, it was a well maintained vehicle.
A couple of years ago I bought a used car that CarFax did not show the impeccable record done at a large Ford dealership, and I went ahead with the deal only after the seller got copies of that from the dealership.
So, you cant rely on CarFax.
I really hope there isn't pushback and so far the dealer seems friendly. They were the ones that mentioned the warranty/recall. I'd imagine they get paid well from Kia to handle recalls like this anyways and then they don't have to worry about me negotiating or not being able to pay.

Thanks for all the info and advice!
Its good if the dealership want to work with you, but be careful that they don't leave you with a large diagnostic bill if the replacement doesn't get approved by Kia Corp.

Reactions: joe_easton3

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
...I believe the carfax showed regular maintenance because they took it to the dealer to get oil changes, etc. … so far the dealer seems friendly. They were the ones that mentioned the warranty/recall. …
All of that sounds like the engine replacement should be smooth sailing, and hopefully that's the way it goes for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its good if the dealership want to work with you, but be careful that they don't leave you with a large diagnostic bill if the replacement doesn't get approved by Kia Corp.
They quoted me $125 diagnostic if it isn't covered. I guess we will cross that bridge when we get there. I understand they have a real cost to evaluating it.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,413 Posts
There are 3 scenarios that the campaign covers: 1)Check engine light flashing w/ DTC P1326, 2)Engine knocking w/out DTC P1326, or 3)Engine seized/catastrophic failure. There should not be any pushback from Kia in these 3 scenarios.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are 3 scenarios that the campaign covers: 1)Check engine light flashing w/ DTC P1326, 2)Engine knocking w/out DTC P1326, or 3)Engine seized/catastrophic failure. There should not be any pushback from Kia in these 3 scenarios.
Well mine definitely falls under option #3. I should hear something from them today / Monday. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A huge thanks to everyone that commented here!

Just got word that Kia has approved the engine replacement.

Anyone know what all is included in the engine replacement? Does it include items like the alternator and water pump?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,398 Posts
Water pump yes. Alternator and A/C compressor, no. You get a new short block. The other left over old parts are transferred over at the dealership. So, its good to let them know its ok to replace some worn parts.....your call.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Water pump yes. Alternator and A/C compressor, no. You get a new short block. The other left over old parts are transferred over at the dealership. So, its good to let them know its ok to replace some worn parts.....your call.
Good point! It might be worthwhile to swap a few other things out while they have it torn apart. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,756 Posts
You will be getting a reman long block. Here's one in my parts dept. right now. going in a Sorento Monday.
As you can see cylinder head and valve cover and a new water pump.

Attachments

Reactions: joemsj51

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You will be getting a reman long block. Here's one in my parts dept. right now. going in a Sorento Monday.
As you can see cylinder head and valve cover and a new water pump.
Nice! Thanks for confirming. I can't help but wonder if this will happen to my 2014 Kia Optima which I think has the same engine. I had it checked as part of the original recall so I hope all is good.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2012 , 2009 Hyundai Elantra , 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2017 Nissan Pathfinder sl
126 Posts
To make long story short , my wife’s 2012 Kia Sorento with 2.4 gdi engine it’s been eating oil ever since 2017 when they performed that recall , but she drove just 26 miles round trip everyday , this last Saturday we drove out of town 300 miles round trip , so before we left house i checked the oil level and it was right to full Mark , oil change was 1900 miles before ; so after coming from trip yesterday morning the level was on L mark so I add over a quart and that’s just within 300 miles trip , I called dealer explain what’s going on he’s like 89$ for diagnostic to know what’s wrong , idk anyone better opinion on this

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2012 , 2009 Hyundai Elantra , 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2017 Nissan Pathfinder sl
126 Posts
Okay need some help and advice here , I called Kia consumer affairs and they suggested me to bring car for diagnostic, should I bring car in to dealer for diagnostic or just wait till January since recall it’s going to be issued on 2012 Sorentos , or wait untill any codes comes up on the car itself then maybe will be easier to deal with dealer or just bring the car in car has 122 thousand miles , , when they diagnose the car what will happened after it , to mention it runs so really good and it was a really good car so far , she loves the car , any advice or help I’d appreciated

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,398 Posts
Bring it in. Can't hurt to have some history. Just make sure to get all the paperwork when they have completed the job.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
.... so after coming from trip yesterday morning the level was on L mark so I add over a quart and that’s just within 300 miles trip ….
You should be requesting an oil consumption test, not a diagnosis. Oil consumption testing should be done at N/C to you, based on everything that I've seen reported on this in the past. 1K miles will need to be put on this vehicle, in order to confirm the rate of consumption, so you need to be prepared to do that, and also go back to Kia 2-3 times for them to check the oil level.

If the actual consumption is anywhere close to what you posted above, they will replace the engine at N/C to you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey everyone - My son purchased a 2012 Sorento about 60 days ago and the engine just seized. I'm having it taken to Kia today to have it evaluated to see if it qualifies for the recall to have the engine replaced.

Anyone have any experience with this process? Anything I should know about?

At this point, I'm afraid we just bought a giant paperweight that will take thousands of dollars to fix.
Depending where you bought it from, if you have the service records to show the Oil changes were done it would help you greatly. I went through it with mine

·
Registered
126 Posts
I bought with 79K miles on it 2017 , I’m second owner of the car , honestly after I purchased the car I did oil my self since Kia dealer was 2 hour from me , and I didn’t want local shop to do it , i allways used best full synthetic oil 5w20 with Kia oem oil filter , but what I did is all the services I put them and my car fax account so it’s everything there what I did , other services like transmission fluid , engine coolant and brake fluid was done to Kia dealer , before I had the car I can find all services at carfax , so idk what should I do ? To mention I purchased form Hyundai dealer , on service contract, I have engine for life warranty , so should I go Tj Kia , or to the Hyundai dealer that I bought the car , or just wait , any advice gjys

1 - 20 of 29 Posts